> > Caddis who?

WiflyfisherMay 5th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Wisconsin

Jason and other bug nuts what is this?

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
WbranchMay 6th, 2016, 4:41 am
York & Starlight PA

I think the formal name is Brachycentrus Appalachia. In the Western Catskills it is called an "Apple Caddis".

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/1757/Caddisfly-Brachycentrus-appalachia-Apple-Caddis
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutMay 6th, 2016, 5:45 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

The colors and wing shape all look about right for that hatch, but I don't know if they're found as far west as Wisconsin, and there are probably some other green Brachycentrus species, too. But I would guess it is a close relative, at least.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CrepuscularMay 6th, 2016, 11:32 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Great shot of the abdomen John! Thanks for posting!!
WiflyfisherMay 7th, 2016, 9:01 am
Wisconsin

Some more caddis pics for you fellas... Gannoms were definitely one of the three or four caddis on the river...

John S.
Kschaefer3May 7th, 2016, 11:05 am
St. Paul, MN

Really cool, thanks for posting! Were the fish looking up? I almost came up your way today looking for rising fish. Last weekend I saw a lot of hendricksons, and the fish went bonkers for 30 mins, but then just shut down. I'm just beginning my journey to figure out the bugs up there. I think I need to explore a few new rivers. I find myself always going back to one.
Jmd123May 7th, 2016, 3:06 pm
Oscoda, MI

I was out on the Pine a couple of days ago, and saw a fair number of Hennies, and some Red Quills (not as many), and a couple of different caddis species, both grayish, like a #12 and a #16. Not major numbers though, didn't really see any fish rising. And in one of my favorite holes, there were two steelies swimming around scaring the residents, and one that had a big nasty white scar down it's back came and sat right next to my left foot, could have stepped on him...I got three tiny rainbows that were smaller than some of my aquarium fish and a couple of 9-inchers, who both took a #12 Royal Wulff and did some jumping for me. Funny, as many Hennies as I saw on the water I didn't get much reaction to an imitation. Nothing big, but I have started my trout stream season at last.

And LOTS of blackflies already! In my face the whole time I was fishing, yet not a lot of other insects, saw some flies and a few butterflies on a blooming willow tree. No wildflowers there yet, either...we are still behind the curve around here.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanMay 7th, 2016, 6:14 pm
bancroft michigan

wonderful pics,thanks for posting, what camera do use to get such nice close ups?
WiflyfisherMay 7th, 2016, 10:36 pm
Wisconsin

Really cool, thanks for posting! Were the fish looking up? I almost came up your way today looking for rising fish. Last weekend I saw a lot of hendricksons, and the fish went bonkers for 30 mins, but then just shut down. I'm just beginning my journey to figure out the bugs up there. I think I need to explore a few new rivers. I find myself always going back to one.

The river isn't what it used to be, the high water temps or flood or both took its toll on the trout. It is recovering, but slowly.

Jason, here is a photo of our buddy Frank Pratt fishing below me. He is fun to fish with or just to spend time with!

Amazing to catch this nice brookie about a mile from a cool feeder creek...

John S.
WiflyfisherMay 7th, 2016, 10:49 pm
Wisconsin

wonderful pics,thanks for posting, what camera do use to get such nice close ups?
Thanks, it is a Sony HD something, not sure any more and the writing is worn off. It is waterproof too. I try to buy point & click cameras that have good quality macro capability. Outdoor photos for the web are so easy to get today, even on your iPhone or tablets, but macro is a different animal. If the camera doesn't have special macro settings I wont buy it. I set it on macro and take lots of pics, hoping one or two come out decent.

I have a quality Canon DSLR but I wont carry it around on the river. I have a tendency to hike all over the river and fish some really tough spots. So if I take a tumble in the river I don't want to ruin a good DSLR camera. so far no tumbles but I am not a limber as I used to be. :-)
John S.
TroutnutMay 8th, 2016, 4:22 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Nice pics John! Is that down below town somewhere?

Looks like Frank is enjoying retirement.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kschaefer3May 8th, 2016, 11:07 am
St. Paul, MN

I caught a brookie downstream of town quite a ways two weekends ago. The first year I fished up there was the best. More big fish for sure. I've been catching decent numbers of medium sized fish though, so hopefully in a few years. The bugs are still strong as far as I can tell, but I have only been going up for 4 years or so.
WbranchMay 13th, 2016, 7:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

I'm curious did the fellow in the right side of the picture row through in front of the wading angler? On the rivers I fish in New York if a guy does that and the wading angler can reach with his cast to where the boater rows that is asking for a confrontation. I wouldn't hesitate to ask a boater to please go behind me. If he chooses otherwise don't be surprised if my cast accidentally goes over his boat and if the hook happens to get impaled somewhere....oops, sorry.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherMay 14th, 2016, 8:22 am
Wisconsin

Matt, they went behind Frank. In another section I had a canoe that went in front of me but I had stepped back towards the bank while I was changing my tippet. They went right through the run which was the deepest water. I wasn't happy about it but I doubt the couple in the canoe knew anything about trout fishing.
John S.
AdirmanMay 27th, 2016, 5:45 pm
Monticello, NY

Hey guys, havent posted here in a LONG time, good to be back!

I dont know much about the trout rivers in the far north of the US, but always a pleasure to see that Brookies are being caught the bigger water, not just the brooks and feeder streams. I am pleased to say that Brook Trout are appearing in greater numbers in the Neversink in the Catskills as well. First brookie I ever caught there was 2 weeks ago and Ive talked to 2 other guys catching them as well, great sign!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.