Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > PA contingent

WbranchJuly 26th, 2007, 1:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

I was wondering how many Forum contributors are from the Dauphin, Cumberland, and York county area? Is there a large overall PA group?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
McjamesJuly 26th, 2007, 1:28 pm
Cortland Manor, NY

I grew up in Delaware County PA and have fished a fair bit in Tioga and Lycoming counties. So even though I am a New Yorker now I still think of myself as a Pennsylvanian.
I am haunted by waters
GONZOJuly 26th, 2007, 1:30 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Louis and I are in that group. I don't know how large a group we really are, but we sure aren't shy about expressing ourselves. We tend to make up for our insecurity by being loud and boisterous. (Kind of like Penn State football fans during a bad season.)

PS--Hey, James, the NY gang is pretty big, too. And you don't want to incur the wrath of your fellow Empire Staters. (Just say, "But NY is REALLY nice, too!" and I'm sure all will be forgiven.) :)
Shawnny3July 26th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I'm the opposite of Mcjames - born and raised in Ithaca, NY, and only a recent Pennsylvanian. We love it here, though, and gladly call it our home.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
BillyJuly 26th, 2007, 1:56 pm
Chester County, PA

While we're at it, how many denizens of Chester County, PA are among the members of the 1,000+? - Billy
I was born with nothing and still have most of it. . .
GONZOJuly 26th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Are we picking up sides for some sort of regional or interstate dodge ball game or something here? If so, I should warn you that I bruise easily, and I'll be wearing glasses. (:-O)
JOHNWJuly 26th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Born and bredd in PA but a transplant to the Cumberland Valley from the Lehigh Valley.
In a sort of funny twist I moved to the CV for a job and figured I had kissed my "wonderful" trout fiahing in the LV good bye. Boy was I ignorant at that time, Now I realize I have lived in two of the cradels of PA flyfishing and am withing easy striking distance of many other significant areas to the history of the sport.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GrannomJuly 26th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Northwest PA

I'm from The D.C. area in Maryland, But have lived in Erie County, PA for the past six years, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. It sure is alot quieter and more relaxed. The fishing's not to bad either :)

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
IEatimagoJuly 26th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Spring Mills, PA

i was born and raised in los angeles but have spent the last 10 years of m life living all over the U.S and now reside in centre county PA.
MartinlfJuly 26th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Palmyra PA

This is pretty cool. I hope everyone will identify her or himself and let us know from where they hale. As Gonzo said, I reside in central PA, though I'm a southern boy at heart who grew up in TN catching smallmouths as a boy.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IEatimagoJuly 26th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Spring Mills, PA

yes and then we will all chip in on a keg of new castleand bbq steaks at my house and add pressure to pressured creek.
WbranchJuly 26th, 2007, 5:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

Yea, we can all go to Boiling Springs and wail away at the fish that have seen a million sucker spawn and green weenies. Then adjourn to the YB for a quiet and peaceful evening fishing to the White Fly spinner fall.
CaseyPJuly 26th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

i'll bring the bhpt's and some brats. we live in VA but fish PA, especially Franklin and Fulton counties. got a little place near a ski hill and needed something to amuse us the other 9 months of the year, so we took up fly fishing. now we fish 12 months and ski about 3 weeks. global warming...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
WbranchJuly 26th, 2007, 6:12 pm
York & Starlight PA

Couldn't you of maybe taken up golf instead of FF as there is already plenty of guys flinging flies?
CaseyPJuly 26th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

golphers can't do it alone...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3July 27th, 2007, 6:02 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Heh heh. Golf - the other white sport.

-Shawn

P.S. I've got two brothers who are avid golfers, one of whom made a career out of being a teaching pro for awhile, so I like to poke fun at it whenever I get the chance. Sometimes, all you have to say is, "Golf."
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
SofthackleJuly 27th, 2007, 7:39 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

I'm about 11 miles from the PA border, just north of Potter County. I seldom get to fish there, however, but I know a lot of PA fly fishers come here, to the Genesee, to fish.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
DavezJuly 27th, 2007, 7:52 am
Pennsylvania

grew up in waterford, pa. i guess its erie or venango county. fished the lake my entire life and the Alleghenies, farm ponds, creeks and steelhead.

we got funny looks as kids flyfishing for steelhead amongst snaggers of cohos back in the mid 80s.

I gave steelhead up. unles sim visiting mom, i don;t make special trips any more.

Now reside In westmoreland county, PA, near the Indiana county line. I'm 2 hours from everything, but alot closer to some prime smallie fishing and I have my very own 2 acre farm pond.
bass and big gills. I fish every day. its a good feeling to build a rod rack in your garage and never take a rod apart!

Im surrounded by turkey huunting, deer hunting, wild berries and grouse. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. I have wild trout pretty close, but not like penn staters do..

I have fished all over the Western US and really know that PA has it all.
and all year round.
LamAugust 26th, 2007, 2:25 pm
Lancaster, PA

Ok, I'm a little late to this post but I just joined the forum.

I grew up in Potter County, Coudersport, specifically. I return several times per year to visit family and fish.

i now live in Lancaster and my "home stream" is the Donegal Creek, about 10 minutes from my house.

I get up around Harrisburg for my job and often fish the run in Boiling Springs. I also like Clark's Creek.

So much water, so little time.

Bhy the way, Gonzo, I got your book some time ago and love it. It's cool to see some authors and other really knowlegable people posting here.

WbranchAugust 26th, 2007, 4:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

IEatimago wrote -

"i was born and raised in los angeles"

I heard that there is a little creek flowing near LA that still gets an occassional wild steelhead!
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.