Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What is going on here?!

Chris_3g has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
These weren't the only ones, and they weren't limited to this structure.  They were all over the place, and a lot of them were very close, if not in, the water.
These weren't the only ones, and they weren't limited to this structure. They were all over the place, and a lot of them were very close, if not in, the water.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
Chris_3gJuly 25th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Posts: 59Hey guys. I don't often pull my camera our of its zip-lock bag for much aside from fish and scenery, but this was just weird. I have never seen such a gathering of little centipede-looking critters, and I wouldn't even post them here except that all of this was happening so close to the water that there are probably a few extra happy fish swimming around this evening. Of course, I'm interested because it's likely I'm going to head back to this stream in the near future and wouldn't mind knowing what extra bits of food the fish might be feeding on in the evenings. Anyway, thought you guys might be interested and / or could tell me what the heck was going on. Thanks!

Chris.
KonchuJuly 25th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

I have noticed these critters near and in water here in Indiana, too. If they're the same thing I've seen, they're a kind of millipede. Funny thing is, I've not noticed them in other years (and I regularly go out of my way to find stuff like this).

Not sure that fish, or *trout* (there is a distinction), would find them tasty. I know that some millipedes put off a disgusting scent that predators find revolting. At least I find it revolting when I step on one barefoot. Maybe someone else out there knows more (e.g., Gonzo or Taxon; of course they may not know more, but at least they'll give you a wrong answer with confidence--a nod to comments from a recent Drunella thread).

Disclaimer: I'm not really an entomologist, I just play one on troutnut.com. ;)
GONZOJuly 25th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

...but at least they'll give you a wrong answer with confidence....

Hah! Darn right! (Or would that be darn wrong?) That reminds me of Shawn quoting the Strunk and White comments that if you don't know how to pronounce a word, at least say it loud; that way you won't compound ignorance with inaudibility! :)

Hey, Chris, don't pay any attention to Konchu's disclaimer. There may be times when he wishes he weren't an entomologist, but trust me, he is.
WiflyfisherJuly 25th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Wisconsin

That is probably Narceus americanus. (But who knows, tomorrow it may be a subspecies of something else.)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narceus_americanus
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
TaxonJuly 26th, 2007, 1:00 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Maybe someone else out there knows more (e.g., Gonzo or Taxon; of course they may not know more, but at least they'll give you a wrong answer with confidence

Oxidus gracilis !!!
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.