Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Serratella levis

Millcreek has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
Female. In alcohol.
Female. In alcohol.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Female. In alcohol. Ventral view.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.7X larger)
Female. In alcohol.
Female. In alcohol.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.8X larger)
Male. In alcohol.
Male. In alcohol.
Male. In alcohol. Ventral view
Male. In alcohol. Ventral view
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.8X larger)
Male and female. Live specimens.
Male and female. Live specimens.
MillcreekMarch 14th, 2016, 11:55 pm
Healdsburg, CA

This is a fairly common nymph in the Russian River between April and May. Identification to genus was made using Merritt, Cummins and Berg (2008). Identification to species was made using Allen and Edmund's 'A Revision of the Genus Ephemerella (Ephemeroptera; Ephemerellidae) VI. The Subgenus Serratella in North America. http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_a/puballenr1963p583.pdf

Serratella levis nymphs are between 5-7 mm in length excluding cerci. They're usually found in fast glides and to a lesser extent in riffles. Bottom usually consists of clean gravel and cobble.
EntomanMarch 18th, 2016, 10:44 am
Northern CA & ID

Wonderful photos, Mark. It is truly amazing how an intense study of a single watershed has provided us a glimpse of the amazing diversity of life. What impresses me perhaps the most are your examples of obscure species showing up in good numbers.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MillcreekMarch 18th, 2016, 3:02 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Wonderful photos, Mark.

Thanks.

What impresses me perhaps the most are your examples of obscure species showing up in good numbers.

Kurt, I'm not sure any of the species are that obscure, seems to me that you just have to visit areas as often as possible. As for the number of them, they can vary over time.
EntomanMarch 18th, 2016, 8:14 pm
Northern CA & ID

What I meant by obscure is their significance in angler related entomological literature. For example out of the dozens of popular texts on the subject, I can't think of one that spends more than passing mention on this genus let alone the species.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MillcreekMarch 18th, 2016, 9:40 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Even among the scientific texts they're somewhat obscure, labelled as the serrata group in 'The Biology of Mayflies' by Needham, Traver and Hsu and 'Aquatic Insects of California' under Day's account. They seem to have come into their own when Edmunds account came out in 1959. http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_e/pubedmundsg1959p543.pdf
They were then given the name Serratella.

About the only description I can find of Serratella levis as a nymph is Allen and Edmunds at the web address listed under the pictures.
TaxonMarch 18th, 2016, 11:11 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Mark-

Your aquatic insect macro photos are really special. You are undoubtedly well aware of the geographic distribution of Serratella levis, but perhaps others may not be.

Incidentally, the (8) pages Chapter 13 of Western Mayfly Hatches by Hafele and Hughes are devoted to genus Serratella, and mention S. levis among the "Other Western Species of less importance."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MillcreekMarch 19th, 2016, 12:34 am
Healdsburg, CA

Roger-

Thanks for the kind words on the photos.

I'm glad to hear that at least 'Western Mayfly Hatches' has something on Serratella hatches. I was beginning to wonder whether or not anything had been written on them.
TaxonMarch 19th, 2016, 5:48 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Mark-

You are certainly welcome. For mayfly identification purposes, when I don't immediately recognize the genus, Western Mayfly Hatches is customarily the first reference book I will open.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanMarch 20th, 2016, 12:49 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ahh.. Good reasons to add that book to my library, Roger. After leafing through it several years ago, I assumed it was just another of many redundant angler entomologies with little new to offer. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.