or register.
Scientific name search:

> > BIG fish, little flies!!

Report at a Glance

General RegionNortheast Idaho and southern Montana
Specific LocationHenry's Fork & Madison River
Time of DayMornings, afternoons and evenings
Fish CaughtRainbow trout
Conditions & HatchesHot, hot and very dry!!! Water flow was up around 1500 CFS so the fishing was tough in some areas. PMDs, Flavs, Spotted Sedge and some Callibaetis

Details and Discussion

WiflyfisherJuly 24th, 2007, 7:44 pm
Wisconsin

Big trout and little flies.... sporadic hatching and knowing where to fish really helps find the big fish. Figuring out which fly and what stage the big bows were feeding on was a real (and fun) challenge. At times surrounded by rising trout and other times nothing moving.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
GONZOJuly 24th, 2007, 7:55 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

John, despite the heat, I can tell you're having a great time on the Fork (and elsewhere). Of course, that was a given wasn't it? Give 'em hell, pal! Make us jealous! :)
WiflyfisherJuly 24th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Wisconsin

Lloyd, I stood on the bank and watched a big #$%^&@! trout (around 25") sliding in and out 15 feet from shore sipping something in that appeared invisible to the human eye. Sometimes the fish would open it's mouth underneath the water and suck something in and other times it would slowly tips it's nose to the surface and quietly slurp something in. (This was all while the winds were blowing too!)

Needless to say, I worked that fish for close to an hour, got him to look at a couple of emergers and pheasant tail nymphs but in the end nada! It was "extremely tough" with the blowing wind to present the fly in a real natural manner (without any drag) and in his tight feeding lane. But it was still awesome to watch!!!
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
MartinlfJuly 24th, 2007, 8:31 pm
Palmyra PA

John, I worked a small brown today on the Little Lehigh under similar conditions, wind, tight feeding lane, tough lie for a drift. I never got a fly to him that he would take either. I'm pleased to have had the challenge, though, and hope to work out a solution that in similar conditions will get a rise in the future. It's these fish that really get us determined. I'm sure you are catching some nice fish, though, and having fun. Stick one for us!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.