Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Big Brown Question

JairdJanuary 5th, 2016, 11:07 pm
georgia

How big would you guess this trout weights?

I was thinking in the neighborhood of 10-15lbs because it is so wide
jaird
WbranchJanuary 6th, 2016, 12:25 am
York & Starlight PA

Were you going to post a picture of the fish?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRobertsJanuary 6th, 2016, 9:56 am
Colorado

Photo's due to lens distortion and focal plane can really distort reality. Without careful control of the focal plane and a known object in the same plane, it can be darn tough to get an accurate guesstimate.
StokesJanuary 8th, 2016, 5:55 pm
Columbia county,NY

12.7 lbs
WbranchJanuary 8th, 2016, 7:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

I wonder why I wasn't able to see the picture or link?
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2016, 5:17 pm
Palmyra PA

I'd say 11 pounds.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123January 10th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

10.43 pounds - that's what my laker weighed according to my local tackle shop anyway...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LastchanceJanuary 11th, 2016, 5:52 pm
Portage, PA

Where's the photo?
StokesJanuary 13th, 2016, 6:02 pm
Columbia county,NY

Theres a photo??
WbranchJanuary 13th, 2016, 7:56 pm
York & Starlight PA

No photo, maybe it is an imaginary fish?
PaulRobertsJanuary 14th, 2016, 10:09 am
Colorado

47lbs.
WbranchJanuary 14th, 2016, 4:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

My imaginary brown trout weighed 25 pounds and it rose to a #18 PMD and I fought it for an hour on 6X and it jumped 14 times and ran my backing 134 yards four times. It was an awesome and epic battle but I prevailed due to my remarkable skills.
Jmd123January 14th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Oscoda, MI

What Matt, you didn't imagine a state or world record?

I need to change my estimate of the trout in the (apparently non-existant) photo - upon re-examination I would now say about 10.37 pounds, based upon experience, of course...

My imaginary fish...well, I guess that would be a 20"+ rainbow (or steelhead?) on the Pine River on my 3-weight, feeding on #12 caddis or maybe hoppers in a nice hole, that spends more time leaping out of the water than in, including perhaps landing on the bank a few times in it's madness, and of course a fishing buddy as a net man, witness, and so I can be in the freaking picture for a change!!

Or maybe a brookie out of [REDACTED] Pond as long as my forearm...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchJanuary 14th, 2016, 6:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Jonathon,

What Matt, you didn't imagine a state or world record?

Well I might of thought about a world record but my modesty would of made me refrain from wanting to bring any attention to myself.

PaulRobertsJanuary 15th, 2016, 10:56 am
Colorado

I've seen two... HUGE... browns (that were not lake run). One in the WB Delaware and another on the Gunnison. The first came out from a grass-lined undercut bank along a deep run on a public stretch close to the road. I got just a glimpse but it looked salmon-sized. It came out twice, apparently to chase things (other trout perhaps) pushing wakes up the run that were almost scary. I looked at my 8ft 4wt and dry fly and instantly understood how it had lived its life unmolested in a public pool.

The Gunnison fish was occupying the tailout of a large run (this was the lower Gunnison, although above the Black Canyon) -it's a big river- and was aggressively chasing stuff -other trout likely. It moved such water, producing such wakes, that I could only conjure up a quick daydream of how I'd catch it. I'd grab my trusty 9wt (not in the truck) and rip a HUGE streamer out there. I then went back to the nice Brachycentrus emergence that was going on, with the hair on the back of my neck prickling.
OldredbarnJanuary 16th, 2016, 10:35 am
Novi, MI

Well I might of thought about a world record but my modesty would of made me refrain from wanting to bring any attention to myself.

:) I'm laughing out loud, Matt! Tears are rolling down my cheeks.

Speaking of big...My wife and I went to a matinee yesterday to see "The Revenant". It is a retelling of the old story about Hugh Glass, a trapper mauled by a bear in 1823 in North Dakota/Montana area. It was also done as a movie in 1971 as, "A Man in the Wilderness" with Richard Harris...

Made me shiver a bit after coming face-to-face with old Scarface in the Lamar Valley a few years back...I'm thankful it was a very old bear, and thankful for the park ranger who pointed it out to me...Not sure if any of you have ever fished the Soda Butte, but where a friend of mine and I were standing, basically the north side of the creek, the bear was just across on the other side...A couple strides for this bear...I think we were lucky too because, though its a skinny creek at this point, it does have some depth...The bear drank from it on its side and never crossed.

A funny side note: In 1971 a friend of mine and I went to the movies to see "The Summer of 42"...When we got there they wouldn't let us in because we were under age...The young actor in the film was actually younger than we were...That logic didn't help us...We saw, "A Man in the Wilderness" instead. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123January 16th, 2016, 1:52 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, back in 2014 I was fishing [REDACTED] Pond in my kayak when I heard a bear from not a great distance away. Never saw it, but I don't know what else would make that kind of noise, a deep guttural UURRAAHHH that made my hair stand on end...first thought was WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??? - next thought was what else could it be? I said out loud, "Mister Bear??", upon which he or she probably thought, Mister Human? The sound came about every five or ten minutes, and was slowly moving away to the south the whole time I was fishing. I mentioned this to my folks upon returning home (at their age, I call them every day to check in and they love my "up north" stories anyway) and my Mom said, "Aren't there a lot of blueberries around there?" Uh, yes there were, and they were just ripening...in fact, I typically spend a little time picking before I hit the water...

Jonathon
TimCatJanuary 17th, 2016, 2:35 pm
Alanson, MI

Unfortunately this photo represents some of the fish I catch on my trips out on the river... nonexistent.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
WbranchJanuary 17th, 2016, 8:33 pm
York & Starlight PA

Unfortunately this photo represents some of the fish I catch on my trips out on the river... nonexistent.

Well heck Tim what fun would it be if you were catching fish all the time?
TNEALJanuary 18th, 2016, 2:35 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I like the 47 pounder. Most of the (very few) browns in Michigan's upper AuSable this Spring were around .47 pounds.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.