Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Steelhead Nov 1 - 2, Page 2

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.1X larger)
Fresh hen.
Fresh hen.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.2X larger)
A real brute for the PA creeks.  28" long and it put me into the backing in ten seconds and took me down river 150 yards from where I hooked this gorgeous hen.
A real brute for the PA creeks. 28" long and it put me into the backing in ten seconds and took me down river 150 yards from where I hooked this gorgeous hen.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.9X larger)
This is a 27" fish caught about an hour after the 28" hog.
This is a 27" fish caught about an hour after the 28" hog.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.4X larger)
Today all my fish were hooked on a #16 Pheasant Tail with a woven Mylar wing case.  It is very exciting to see the indicator just twitch a fraction and you lift the rod tip and 6 - 8 pounds of silver muscle erupts from the creek and comes down with a huge crash.
Today all my fish were hooked on a #16 Pheasant Tail with a woven Mylar wing case. It is very exciting to see the indicator just twitch a fraction and you lift the rod tip and 6 - 8 pounds of silver muscle erupts from the creek and comes down with a huge crash.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
Another strong hen.  This fish just would not quit and besides running almost into the backing it took me a good ten minutes to slide it up on the gravel.
Another strong hen. This fish just would not quit and besides running almost into the backing it took me a good ten minutes to slide it up on the gravel.

Report at a Glance

General RegionErie County
Specific LocationGirard & Folly's End
Time of DayDawn to dusk
Fish CaughtSteelhead, steelhead, and more steelhead
Conditions & HatchesBeautiful blue skies, no wind, 68 - 72 both days. Water was medium lever Monday and low today. Used 4X most of the time but went to 5X off and on.

Details and Discussion

WbranchNovember 8th, 2015, 1:39 pm
York & Starlight PA

The answer is yes...I do want to know everything. :)

I thought so. There was a time when I was very close mouthed about my flies, techniques, secrets, honey holes, kept it all to myself. But as I got older I had caught so many thousands of big trout (I guess big is in the eyes of the beholder, but for me it is any trout 19" or bigger) that I figured a few more big trout here and there weren't going to change my total fishing life that much so now I enjoy sharing almost sixty years of trout fishing and fly tying with anyone who wants to learn.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfNovember 8th, 2015, 10:22 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, Matt, you are very generous with information, and I've benefited from your help many times. Thank you for the recent PM.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Feathers5November 9th, 2015, 9:16 am
Posts: 287My philosophy is to extend my knowledge of the sport to all who are interested. I don't give away my honey holes, but I'm more than happy to teach what I know to promote the sport, especially with young people.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.