Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > No-See-Ums

WbranchSeptember 7th, 2015, 10:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

Are Ceratopogonidae multi generational throughout spring, summer, and fall? I am plagued by them at my cabin particularly when it is warm with no breeze and I break a sweat while mowing the lawn or working around the cabin. They seem to prefer to land inside my ears or on my brow and they are so persistent in their desire to draw blood I have to smoke cigars so I can keep a cloud of smoke around me. Why aren't they a nuisance when I'm in the drift boat?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CatskilljonSeptember 7th, 2015, 10:44 pm
Upstate NY

I don't know what they are, but I have the same problem when walking around the yard working. It seems that they live in the grass and you kick them up moving around. The more you work the worse it gets!

Cant explain the boat thing other than there is no grass there :) CJ
TaxonSeptember 7th, 2015, 11:52 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Are Ceratopogonidae multi generational

Ceratopogonidae have a 2-6 week life cycle, so another generation would emerge at that approximate frequency, except that their final instar larvae overwinter, and then pupate once the water has re-warmed sufficiently.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
WbranchSeptember 8th, 2015, 12:53 am
York & Starlight PA

Roger wrote;

Ceratopogonidae have a 2-6 week life cycle, so another generation would emerge at that approximate frequency,

Thank you for the informative response. They pester me from my first trip to the cabin in late April and continue to do so until I close the cabin in mid October.

Is high percentage DEET an effective product to keep them at bay?

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TaxonSeptember 8th, 2015, 1:33 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Is high percentage DEET an effective product to keep them at bay?

My understanding is that nothing is effective against them. However once ravaged, I have read that Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment is a miracle cure. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
MartinlfSeptember 8th, 2015, 10:11 am
Palmyra PA

Recently saw a very positive review by a flyfisher of the following product:

http://allnaturalrepellent.com/prd_byebye.html

I don't know if it can be as effective as they claim, but would be interested to hear if somebody tries it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnSeptember 22nd, 2015, 7:48 pm
Novi, MI

Louis,

I like the "carpe insectae"...:)

Matt...One night years back during the Hex, I was actually run off the river by them. I was losing my mind. Swinging my hat at them and cursing them...I think I wandered into a mating swarm...I trespassed off the river and practicaly ran till I hit the road...In town I was in a 7-11 and the guy behind the counter asked if I was ok...The area where my shirt was open near the collar looked like I had been hit by a shotguun blast...There were so many bites.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonSeptember 22nd, 2015, 10:00 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Spence-

Let me get this straight. You wandered into a Hex mating swarm, and were actually "bitten" by them? :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
CatskilljonSeptember 23rd, 2015, 12:55 am
Upstate NY

Spence-

Let me get this straight. You wandered into a Hex mating swarm, and were actually "bitten" by them? :-)

You think that sounds bad? I was once pummeled by a March Brown spinner fall, still have dents in my hat from it! CJ
OldredbarnSeptember 23rd, 2015, 3:20 pm
Novi, MI

No! I was fishing the Hex hatch and wandered into a mating swarm of biting bugs...Had to flee the river and hardly fished that evening.

It was the roughist night I can remember regarding my never ending battle with the biters that labor to make my night time angling experiences, hell!

By "them" I meant no-see-ums...They were the topic, no? :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonSeptember 23rd, 2015, 4:51 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

:-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
OldredbarnSeptember 24th, 2015, 2:16 pm
Novi, MI

You know Roger, Ever since my first wife left me in 1979, I've always been in need of a good editor...Thanks for making me tow-the-line. :)

Spence

TaxonSeptember 24th, 2015, 9:40 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Who, me? :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.