Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What's Up With This?!

OldredbarnSeptember 4th, 2015, 9:48 am
Novi, MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcY_3Bvx0l8

Watching the market station this morning. Noticed that the market is about to take another dip down, and thought we could use some humor this morning.

I have seen this ad several times and was wondering who their fly fishing adviser was...They are not wearing vests of any kind, no hats, no eye protection...And their casting is horrendous...One guy is just moving his wrist back-and-forth, no arm action at all, and the other guy is just holding his rod pointed downstream and never makes a cast...

I know the ad isn't about fly fishing, but come on! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Kschaefer3September 4th, 2015, 10:48 am
St. Paul, MN

Thanks for this, Spence! I love watching people FF in non FF commercials. I needed a little humor this Friday morning as well. I'm sitting and waiting for the day to be over so I can run to the fly shop and tie a bit. I'm taking my dad out tomorrow for some hopper action (hopefully)! I'm hoping I can get his casting better than those guys too. :)
PaulRobertsSeptember 4th, 2015, 11:09 am
Colorado

Yeah, pretty cheesy -at several levels. Target audience isn’t real anglers of course (did you hear the piped in conventional gear cast and plunk sound in the beginning of the vid?). It’s for wannabes –wannabe wealthy with time for leisure, I mean. (Sorry for the caustic take –junkyard dog thing again. Maybe I need to get some fishing in -and a better portfolio.)

Interestingly, investing and fishing share more than one might imagine. Ever peruse The Economist? Interesting rag that digs down to cover the intersection of natural resources and economics. Did you know that a number of hedge fund "superstars" are fly-fisherman? One, a top competitive fly-fisherman named his hedge fund "Ferox". Salmo ferox is a large predacious lake dwelling brown trout. I believe his fund was a rather aggressive one. It eventually went belly up for a time, like so many superstars have in the financial, gambling, and fishing worlds. Hey, we all get our butts kicked on the water, especially if we don't "play it safe".
Kschaefer3September 4th, 2015, 1:29 pm
St. Paul, MN

Yeah, pretty cheesy -at several levels. Target audience isn’t real anglers of course (did you hear the piped in conventional gear cast and plunk sound in the beginning of the vid?). It’s for wannabes –wannabe wealthy with time for leisure, I mean. (Sorry for the caustic take –junkyard dog thing again. Maybe I need to get some fishing in -and a better portfolio.)

Interestingly, investing and fishing share more than one might imagine. Ever peruse The Economist? Interesting rag that digs down to cover the intersection of natural resources and economics. Did you know that a number of hedge fund "superstars" are fly-fisherman? One, a top competitive fly-fisherman named his hedge fund "Ferox". Salmo ferox is a large predacious lake dwelling brown trout. I believe his fund was a rather aggressive one. It eventually went belly up for a time, like so many superstars have in the financial, gambling, and fishing worlds. Hey, we all get our butts kicked on the water, especially if we don't "play it safe".

Really interesting comparison between fly fishing and finance. I happen to love finance and regularly read on the topic. I never drew that parallel, although I was aware that many top folks in finance (beyond just hedge funds) fly fish.

Fish make an "investment" decision each time they eat. They invest time and energy, and risk being spotted and killed. The implications of a poor decision are considerably more dire than losing money, even if the magnitude is in the billions. Our easy life has made us complacent. Just think about the easy money to be made in the run up to the financial crisis in '08. Next time I'm fishing I'll be sure to ask the fish what my portfolio allocations should look like. :)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.