Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > No not another Grannom!!

WbranchApril 12th, 2015, 6:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

I tied a dozen of these this afternoon, half with the egg sack and half without. I tied them based on a email I got from Louis. You know how that goes; I tried to tie his fly from words so it may not look anything like his fly. Actually that is okay as long as you think it will catch fish and/or it does resemble the naturals. The LJ is still at 900 cfs so I'm thinking it is not safe to wade. I'm going up to Spring Creek tomorrow and will stay over and if the LJ drops to 400 or so I'll drive down there for two days. If not I guess I'll stay at SC and also try Bald Eagle Creek.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EntomanApril 13th, 2015, 12:06 am
Northern CA & ID

Cool looking flies, Matt. Nicely tied as well. Interesting use of gray partridge.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnApril 13th, 2015, 10:43 am
Novi, MI

Yes! Those look like they'll work just fine...We'll need a fishing report.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MiltRPowellApril 13th, 2015, 12:01 pm
Posts: 106Spence, Maybe you can get a fishing report by way of smoke signals, the way they did when you's first started out this fly fishing. Remember when Spence?
Na just kidding, but he said, he was going. Ya can bet he took that pattern with him, he's most likely gently laying one of those puppies on the waters as I am writing this. Huh?????
I'll tune in later, bet there's a report......
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
MiltRPowellApril 13th, 2015, 12:39 pm
Yes, I agree, I checked them out some more.
Back in my spinner days, I use to fish a small hand made spinner. White with black dots on blade, with the tail done in that. The partridge pretty much all over the treble hook. Worked very well, brown's & brook's.... Nice looking flies.. He should do well... I's be thinking...But as Spence stated, We'll need a fishing report...Hope the wind isn't blowing like it is around here today in N.Y.

flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
TctroutApril 25th, 2015, 4:13 pm
Posts: 28Great looking patterns, and I also tie a lot both with and w/o the egg sack at the back. Just curious: Is the partridge more for us or the fish?

TC
WbranchApril 25th, 2015, 4:46 pm
York & Starlight PA

Tctrout,

Is the partridge more for us or the fish?

Funny you should ask as I asked another fellow on this Forum how he tied the Grannom adult and he send me a PM, with no picture, that said "the wing I favor is wild mallard medium dun color". Well when I saw the words wild mallard for some unknown reason I immediately thought of the barred black and white flank feathers on mallards (kind of like the lemon woodduck beige and brown flank feathers)

There is also a very strong Grannom emergence on the Beaverkill (not to be confused with the Apple Caddis also on many Catskill waters) That Grannom has a mottled gray wing with some light veining and I mistakenly assumed the gray mallard flank feathers were an addition, by my friend, to the medium dun CDC. As it turns out he did not mean that but I like the effect (BTW it isn't grey partridge but actually a clump of teal flank feathers) If nothing else it will probably help me to see it on riffly water.
EntomanApril 27th, 2015, 1:59 am
Northern CA & ID

Ah, I knew it was one or the other Matt. One of the problems with using solid colors for wings and shucks is that neither are often solid in nature. I've found the use of duck or partridge to add a little speckling is more effective than using Z-Lon or CDC by itself for most patterns. Waterfowl is a better choice than upland bird feathers for drys. I also like the way you put it on top rather than under. IMO, makes the patterning more subtle (again like the natural) when seen from below with the trout's POV.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
ByhaughMarch 9th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Hawaii

Nice flies. I take it they are basically a CDC pattern? Maybe I missed it, what is the body dubbing.
Thanks
WbranchMarch 11th, 2016, 5:42 am
York & Starlight PA

The body is charcoal gray rough rabbit.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.