Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Suggestions: Mid-Arbor Fly Reels 4wt. to 6wt. Up To $125

Feathers5April 9th, 2015, 10:50 am
I posted a question in 2009 asking for suggestions on the purchase of Mid-Arbor fly reel for $100. I bought an Orvis Battenkill that year. I've decided to up that figure to $125.00 to see if the favorites have changed.
Bruce
Kschaefer3April 9th, 2015, 10:52 am
St. Paul, MN

IMO, you could buy a better reel in 2009 for $100 than you can for $125 now. I had an incredible bias toward the Lamson Konic when it was $100 though...
FlyflingerApril 9th, 2015, 11:07 am
Fredericksburg, Virginia

I've only recently joined this board so I didn't see what you had in mind. Based on what you described, I imagine you are asking about a pawl-click, mid-arbor reel. Do you care whether it is stamped or milled? What weight of line? Minimum capacity? Line-holder or reel to fight fish with maybe an exposed rim for palming?

Lately, there have been a number of reels made overseas, some appear to be quite well made. The US newcomers in the market seem to be having their reels and rods made overseas or are priced well above your budget. Nearly all have some sort of disk drag. Forget Hardy, since they are a bit overpriced. But the secondary market might have something within your budget.
Feathers5April 9th, 2015, 11:57 am
Posts: 287I don't think a click-and-pawl reel would provide enough of a drag system.I would like to outfit it with 6wt. line as stated in my question. It will be a line-holder with the ability to play 15 to 20 inch fish (trout) in a mid size stream current, especially early in the year.
Thanks

PS. I was looking at the L.L. Bean mid-arbor but I don't want a gold reel. It received some good reviews.
MiltRPowellApril 9th, 2015, 12:30 pm
Posts: 106Bruce- Hello seeing you said you were looking into L.L.Bean. Did you look at what Allen Reels had. Don't cost a thing to look. There is a post on Allen, with some views. My buddy just got one, so far he is very happy. He already took a 18 inch out of the Catskill on a big flats. He is trying a rod & reel from them. He car trucked his 6wt. talking with his kid. I'd loved to been abird in a tree ta have seen that. For he said trunk wouldn't close, so he slammed it. Then he found out why.!!!! Ah things happen....... Allen is a young company, with some good reviews. Food for thought.......
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
PaulRobertsApril 11th, 2015, 7:33 pm
Colorado

Bruce, watch Cabela's for sales. My last reel purchase was a Redington Rise that I like.
Feathers5April 14th, 2015, 9:46 am
Bruce- Hello seeing you said you were looking into L.L.Bean. Did you look at what Allen Reels had. Don't cost a thing to look. There is a post on Allen, with some views. My buddy just got one, so far he is very happy. He already took a 18 inch out of the Catskill on a big flats. He is trying a rod & reel from them. He car trucked his 6wt. talking with his kid. I'd loved to been abird in a tree ta have seen that. For he said trunk wouldn't close, so he slammed it. Then he found out why.!!!! Ah things happen....... Allen is a young company, with some good reviews. Food for thought.......

I feel his pain. I did that to one of my rods.
MiltRPowellApril 14th, 2015, 1:24 pm
Posts: 106Yes sir,I think alot of us that fished for years have a story or 2 on, no I didn't just do that. Just alot of guys won't tell anybody. Masters in there own minds, never made a mistake, or I just wouldn't ever do something like. Till they do it. I have ta say my buddy, was really good about that, cause he loved that rod. His son told me later, mom asked what happen. He told her, see said oh,dad's had that rod since before you were born. Later kid said, went out in the kitchen, Ma was making dad his favorite cake. His wife a great gal.!!! And there was deer meat for dinner, HUH!!!!
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
LastchanceApril 14th, 2015, 6:15 pm
Portage, PA

Yes sir,I think alot of us that fished for years have a story or 2 on, no I didn't just do that. Just alot of guys won't tell anybody. Masters in there own minds, never made a mistake, or I just wouldn't ever do something like. Till they do it. I have ta say my buddy, was really good about that, cause he loved that rod. His son told me later, mom asked what happen. He told her, see said oh,dad's had that rod since before you were born. Later kid said, went out in the kitchen, Ma was making dad his favorite cake. His wife a great gal.!!! And there was deer meat for dinner, HUH!!!!

Sounds like a great wife and an understanding dad.
MiltRPowellApril 14th, 2015, 7:40 pm
Posts: 106 They don't come any better. Farm, 3rd gen. Son wants to work conservation, maybe Econ, he has time as yet to plan. I think he'd be a great conservationist. He has great understanding. Gee I wonder, where he got that from. Think, great parents, Huh!!!
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.