Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spring Creek

Wbranch has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.9X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionBellefonte
Specific LocationEnd of Shiloh Road in Canyon area
Time of Day7:15 - 4:15
Fish CaughtLost count after 16. Landed 12 or 13, all wild browns
Conditions & HatchesDidn't see but about a dozen #20 Baetis all day! Maybe it was too sunny. Tried at least eight different nymphs during the day and the only fly that caught fish was a #12 & #14 Walt's Worm. One was natural dark Haretron and the other was Rusty orange rabbit. Hooks were wrapped with .010" lead and bodies ribbed with Fine gold wire.

Details and Discussion

WbranchApril 6th, 2015, 8:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

Had lots of action pretty much all day. It was very cold at 7:15. Only 29 degrees by my car thermometer. I had ice in my tip top and first guide for the first hour. Lots of guys fishing. Saw at least thirty cars on the creek. Didn't see another fish caught all day. Czech nymphed all day. Fish were aggressive and feisty but on the thin side maybe because of the very long and cold winter. Although I doubt SC ever freezes. Just wish it was closer. Two hours and 20 minutes.

Many fish looked like the first picture and a few were bigger but tough to walk to the bank every few minutes and I don't like trying to hold the fish in one hand and my phone in the other to click a picture.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RMlytleApril 6th, 2015, 10:16 pm
Connecticut

First one is particularly stunning! Nice catches. Worth the cold I'd say.
WbranchApril 6th, 2015, 10:31 pm
York & Starlight PA

Yes, the first picture is a beautiful example of a nice colored wild brown trout. Yep, it was worth the cold! I had on fleece pants, a T-shirt, a Under Armor long sleeve shirt, a cotton shirt and a 300 weight fleece jacket. I had a lot of hookups and LDR's between 7:30 and 9:30. I think because my hands were cold I wasn't setting the hook hard enough and the fish would fight, then run, and the hook would pull out.

The biggest issue for me with Spring Creek isn't the 2 1/2 hour drive, or the lack of frequently rising fish, or even that there probably thousands of 8" - 12" but not very many (at least getting on my flies) 14" - 16" fish, it is that the rocks are just covered with aquatic grasses and mosses of every possible type so that if you are using multiple flies, or even just a little "B" shot the hooks get hung up with the grass and moss very frequently. I am constantly cleaning gunk off of my flies.
AfishinadoApril 7th, 2015, 7:39 am
SE PA

Hey Matt,

I fish spring creeks and "Spring Creek" quite a bit. A good way to rig for nymphing in these weedy streams is to put your "B" shot on the point (terminal end) of a multi-fly rig. Just tie a simple overhand knot on the end to keep your shot from sliding off. You can tie one fly on a dropper or tie in a second dropper to fish a two fly rig. The shot rides near or on the bottom and the flies ride a little above, out of the weeds. The flies drift to the fish first since the shot is attached to the rear. Also there is a direct connection between the fish and rod since the weight is behind the flies - better strike detection. Great rig for Euro nymphing.

If the D River ever thaws, you can even use that rig up there. Is your cabin still standing, or have the glaciers destroyed it?!
WbranchApril 7th, 2015, 9:08 am
York & Starlight PA

Afishinado,

Thanks for the neat tip on shot placement. I'll try that next time I go up. Most of the time I was able to catch fish with just two weighted Walt's Worms but a couple of runs that just screamed "FISH" I wasn't getting any takes yet as soon as I put a "B" on I had a take the first cast.

Yep, the cabin is still there but in June of 2006 the river flooded and anyone along the river got serious damage. Some properties were swept away and others moved on their foundations. My cabin didn't move but 38" of water ran through it and the inside was a total loss. My drift boat drifted away while attached to the trailer but got hung up in some trees 200' down river. Some locals pulled it out for me and it suffered no damage.
Feathers5April 7th, 2015, 10:28 am
Had lots of action pretty much all day. It was very cold at 7:15. Only 29 degrees by my car thermometer. I had ice in my tip top and first guide for the first hour. Lots of guys fishing. Saw at least thirty cars on the creek. Didn't see another fish caught all day. Czech nymphed all day. Fish were aggressive and feisty but on the thin side maybe because of the very long and cold winter. Although I doubt SC ever freezes. Just wish it was closer. Two hours and 20 minutes.

Many fish looked like the first picture and a few were bigger but tough to walk to the bank every few minutes and I don't like trying to hold the fish in one hand and my phone in the other to click a picture.

Hey Matt. I was up there the same day. I fished Paradise and I did well with a BWO nymph, size 18, and a zebra midge, size 16. I was able to land 7 on dry flies above the step pool area from about 12:30 to 2:00 PM. There wasn't a great BWO hatch, but enough to catch a few.They say pride is a sin, but I was proud of my dry fly fishing that day. HA!
Bruce
Feathers5April 7th, 2015, 10:30 am

Hey Matt, quit showing people pictures of my fish.
Bruce
WbranchApril 7th, 2015, 4:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

Bruce,

Oops, sorry, I should of added;

End of Shiloh Road in Canyon area on Bruce's private property
LastchanceApril 7th, 2015, 6:32 pm
Portage, PA

Bruce,

Oops, sorry, I should of added;

End of Shiloh Road in Canyon area on Bruce's private property

Ha! Funny thing, I have yet to fish that canyon area since it was opened to the public.
WbranchApril 8th, 2015, 3:33 am
York & Starlight PA

I like it because it is totally removed from any road noise. It is absolutely quiet and all you hear is the water. I bike trail parallels it for miles. I've never gone further than about one mile down stream but by car from Benner to the end of the Paradise is at least three road miles. Some guys have bike carriers on their vehicles and park at the upper end and bike down and back.
WbranchApril 8th, 2015, 9:15 am
York & Starlight PA

I didn't mention it when I started the thread but I accidentally dislodged a pair of prescription Polaroid sunglasses from the breast pocket of a heavy fleece jacket I was wearing.

I posted a trip report on another PA based web site and mentioned I'd lost the glasses at the Shiloh Road parking area.

Much to my surprise a fellow said he saw them on a big flat rock by the sign at the parking lot but didn't pick them up thinking the owner might come back and see them there.

Well I started a new thread mentioning I lives 115 miles away in York and did anyone live in Bellefonte or in the close proximity and if they were planning to fish in the next few days would they mind going there to see if the glasses were still there and if so pick them up so I could get them back.

Well another guy said "I'm on it and will check before I go to work". Then just three comments further down he posts again "I found them". I'm obviously elated as I surely would of hated spending $150 at Sam's Club to get them replaced.

Fly fishermen are an awesome bunch of guys, now if someone will only find the Sage rod and Lamson Litespeed that fell off the top of my car!!!

I offered cash, flies, or a Hyde drift boat float as a reward.

Feathers5April 8th, 2015, 9:31 am
I like it because it is totally removed from any road noise. It is absolutely quiet and all you hear is the water. I bike trail parallels it for miles. I've never gone further than about one mile down stream but by car from Benner to the end of the Paradise is at least three road miles. Some guys have bike carriers on their vehicles and park at the upper end and bike down and back.

Hi Matt. Please read your PMs.
Bruce
MotroutApril 9th, 2015, 10:29 am
Love the pictures. Wild browns (short of perhaps brookies) have to be the prettiest thing that swim. I wish we had them here.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
MartinlfApril 9th, 2015, 11:15 am
Palmyra PA

Uh, Oh, Matt is Czech nymphing and Bruce is catching them on dries. The end of the world approaches!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 9th, 2015, 5:33 pm
York & Starlight PA

You know my preferences but there is just something about SC that makes to want to revert to my youthful days on the Beaverkill when I nymphed far more than I fished dry. I love to follow the fly through a likely looking slot and can almost sense a strike is coming. To tell you the truth it is a lot easier to nymph a little creek like SC were the water is rarely more than 2' deep compared to the much deeper runs and riffles of the Delaware system.
Feathers5April 10th, 2015, 9:43 am
Uh, Oh, Matt is Czech nymphing and Bruce is catching them on dries. The end of the world approaches!

I hear ya'Louis. HA! I did catch my share on nymphs before I agitated the risers. I just like to catch fish.
Bruce
ParsondApril 10th, 2015, 5:28 pm
Green River Wyoming

Pretty fish man!
OldredbarnApril 10th, 2015, 6:21 pm
Novi, MI

Hey Bruce or Louis...How close were we when I visited Spring Creek to where Matt was fishing? Storied water there, no doubt!

Complicated current seams there for sure. It was either you Louis or Bruce that walked up close, closer than I thought I could without spooking them and ran a nymph right down the run near the rocks and pulled a trout right out of there...Sounds a little like what Matt was up to.

Was it Foster Hewitt that fished there? Along with a long line of famous anglers...Like Antonio, Eric, Bruce, and you...;)

Thanks again, by-the-way Boys!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfApril 10th, 2015, 9:54 pm
Palmyra PA

Spence, we were several miles downstream.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsApril 16th, 2015, 10:30 pm
Colorado

I didn't mention it when I started the thread but I accidentally dislodged a pair of prescription Polaroid sunglasses from the breast pocket of a heavy fleece jacket I was wearing.

I posted a trip report on another PA based web site and mentioned I'd lost the glasses at the Shiloh Road parking area.

Much to my surprise a fellow said he saw them on a big flat rock by the sign at the parking lot but didn't pick them up thinking the owner might come back and see them there.

Well I started a new thread mentioning I lives 115 miles away in York and did anyone live in Bellefonte or in the close proximity and if they were planning to fish in the next few days would they mind going there to see if the glasses were still there and if so pick them up so I could get them back.

Well another guy said "I'm on it and will check before I go to work". Then just three comments further down he posts again "I found them". I'm obviously elated as I surely would of hated spending $150 at Sam's Club to get them replaced.

Fly fishermen are an awesome bunch of guys, now if someone will only find the Sage rod and Lamson Litespeed that fell off the top of my car!!!

I offered cash, flies, or a Hyde drift boat float as a reward.

That is awesome. I've had a few similar experiences. Just nice to know there are people out there like that. I try to do the same.

Hey, what's the rod? I like it. Looks custom. Shortened grip too?
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.