Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > ovipositing?

This topic is about the Caddisfly Genus Chimarra

Chimarra aterrima is the most important species. Read more...

There is 1 more specimen...

The Discussion

BtopbuckeyeMarch 4th, 2015, 8:57 pm
Hayesville no

I had a large swarm of black sedges in a size 16 ovipositing today.the females hadvblack wings and body with a green egg sack was just wondering if that is this genus or something totally different
EntomanMarch 5th, 2015, 12:29 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum. They are most likely Brachycentrus (Grannoms).
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GutcutterMarch 5th, 2015, 12:50 pm
Pennsylvania

Are you sure they were caddis and not stoneflies?
The larger "little black stones" (around a size 16) start to flutter around this time of year up here.
The egg sacks I see are yellowish on the stones.
I'm not sure of the timing of Grannoms or stones in N.C.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2015, 2:10 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I was going to say the same Kurt but the description of the Black Wings had me wondering, really Btopbuckeye, It's virtually impossible to say with any kind of certainty what they may have been. But as Kurt pointed out they may have been Brachycentrus sp., the green eggs would be consistent with that. And I imagine you are a head of us here in PA with timing of hatches and we usually see Brachycentrus (Grannoms) in mid to late April here in southern PA. I've heard those Rainbows in the Nantahalla are beautiful fish! I'd like to see one up close and personal some day.
MartinlfMarch 5th, 2015, 4:56 pm
Palmyra PA

Given that the egg sacks were green, it would seem they were caddis of some sort. At least one hatch chart for the Smokies lists "Grannoms" this early:

http://www.perfectflystore.com/hcsmokymtns.html

And they provide specific information about the bug, which they call a "little black caddis":

http://www.perfectflystore.com/littleblcadisinfo.html

They identify the Grannom that hatches early in the Smokies as Brachycentrus occidentalis.

In regard to our Grannoms here in PA, one of Troutnut's bug experts, Lloyd Gonzales observes: "The collecting record shows two Brachycentrus spp. for Huntingdon County [PA]--B. numerosus and solomoni"; and he identifies numerosus as the species most commonly found on Penns Creek.

Eric, might the possible species difference at least partially explain the difference in hatch time, along with geographical differences?

Brian, The Nantahala is certainly a beautiful river; along with the Ocoee it was a favorite when I was a whitewater guide in North Carolina. We primarily frequented the lower reaches, taking out just after the first falls above the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I once saw a kid walking along one of the feeder streams to the Nantahala carrying a stringer of big rainbows. Obviously not a proponent of catch and release.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnMarch 5th, 2015, 6:50 pm
Novi, MI

Kurt...Every darn hatch chart in this state still has the "Little Black Caddis" listed as Chimarra! And listed as an 16/18 hook!? Even after Carl Richards, no less, told them about, B lateralis, B numerosus, and B americanus...

I have made loud, Molson infused, bets to some folk here that they probably haven't ever seen a Chimarra.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMarch 6th, 2015, 8:41 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric, might the possible species difference at least partially explain the difference in hatch time, along with geographical differences?

yes

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.