Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What have you been tying?, Page 2

PlanettroutMarch 29th, 2015, 5:56 pm
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Eric, don't look! :)

Planet T, like those. Especially the sulphur emerger. What hook did you use for it?

That is the Hanak 390 BL Hook, #14

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
MartinlfMarch 29th, 2015, 8:13 pm
Palmyra PA

Thanks. Since Knapeks have become impossible to find, I've been thinking what I'd replace them with. I've heard good things about Hanak's.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnMarch 30th, 2015, 2:45 pm
Novi, MI

What have I been tying? Well...I need to dial in my tying a bit since April 1 is upcoming. Distractions being what they are, I had a Michigan tyer, rather well known in our state, over to the house for an all day tying session this past Saturday.

His name is Dennis Potter and I've known him since 1991. We had about 10 guys over and he sat up his camera and we tied. We tied four patterns that he has tweaked a bit to make them his own. He creates "kits" for each of us and he ties a fly first. We watch. Then we tie it together, and finally on our own.

The flies were, 1) The Depth Charge Stone. 2) A Clouser variation that is designed to cover smaller fry etc. He adds a little tuft of egg fly yarn in red UV+...It's tied in behind the eyes and after its snipped looks like the gills on bait fish. 3) Potter's Drake...A variation of the Clarence Robert's Yellow Drake to cover the Brown Drakes here in MI. 4) and finally the Opal Stone which is a nice pattern for our early olive stone and with a different color combination the small yellow stone (Yellow Sally).

We all had a great day...Stopped for lunch...It was a good time.

The "kits" have too much material for the flies we tie during that session, so after I cleared everyone out of the basement and cleaned it up a bit, there was a ton of crap on the floor, I've been using up the material left over and tying more of the same bugs.

I found hooks in the carpet...and a beadhead...Funny thing was we weren't using beadheads for anything?! :) I need to have these guys over more often. When they open their tying kits so much stuff falls out on the floor I may never have to order material again. ;)

Spence

http://riverhouseflyco.com/index.php?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CatskilljonMarch 30th, 2015, 10:41 pm
Upstate NY

Bradley Special's...

< />

Some red squirrel back fur spun on a doubled strand of red silk...I love this fly and go for a shaggy finished product. CJ
MiltRPowellMarch 30th, 2015, 10:55 pm
Posts: 106CJ, Looks like a secret weapons.:):):):). Nice as alway's. Best of luck you go out Wed. Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
PaulRobertsMarch 30th, 2015, 10:59 pm
Colorado

Gorgeous!
CatskilljonMarch 30th, 2015, 11:25 pm
Upstate NY

CJ, Looks like a secret weapons.:):):):). Nice as alway's. Best of luck you go out Wed. Milt.

Thanks Milt...but I don't think I will be drifting these for at least a few more weeks!

I was up in Phoenicia tying flies at the library Saturday...snowed all day and the temp was 10* at my place that night, might be weighted nymphs Wednesday instead! CJ
MiltRPowellMarch 30th, 2015, 11:40 pm
Posts: 106CJ, Yes been walking the creek, nymphing is gonna be the game plan, if I have ta I'll weight. Got some nice old stock, lead. Cannot buy anymore in N.Y., but no law against useing. Be safe & stay dry & keep the rod high,:):):)....
Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
TNEALMarch 31st, 2015, 12:42 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Bradley Special's....

nice to see someone still tying real dry flies... very nicely done...
CrepuscularMarch 31st, 2015, 2:16 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Bradley Special's....

:)

This one is not correct but it's a fun fly to tie. I recently came in to a bunch of woodduck. It should be mallard and the hackle should be tight to the front of the ribbing I think.

Queen of the Waters

WbranchMarch 31st, 2015, 3:44 pm
York & Starlight PA

So now there is a higher form of snobbery and elitism in dry fly fishing? So WTF are the "other" dry flies; No-hackles, compara-duns, parachutes? Are they a lesser form of a dry fly? Oops, I guess I better never open my dry fly boxes around who made this comment because he won't see any "real" dry flies.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CatskilljonMarch 31st, 2015, 8:44 pm
Upstate NY

So now there is a higher form of snobbery and elitism in dry fly fishing? So WTF are the "other" dry flies

Matt please. Does the guy driving the minivan get upset when his friend refers to the big block Camaro in the parking space next to his as a "real car"? Take it easy man...its just fly tying. CJ
TKBMarch 31st, 2015, 8:44 pm
Pennsylvania

How do you all get your pictures posted here?
TKBMarch 31st, 2015, 8:55 pm
Pennsylvania

Does the guy driving the minivan get upset when his friend refers to the big block Camaro in the parking space next to his as a "real car"?

Seems to me that both the Camaro and the minivan have their intended use, place and time. Kinda like those beautiful flies!
MiltRPowellMarch 31st, 2015, 10:20 pm
Posts: 106My 2 cents, as if there ever was a bad fly shown on this forum, I have not seen it yet. Nor do I think I ever shall. I see alot of styles & artist's of a sport as I see a bunch of men from all over this great land we all call home. Some just bring different style, ol'school & modern & fresh idea's, oh hell seems to be end-less. And ya know what it's a good thing. Sorry, just my 2 cents,& I've said to much & not enough cause your all good tie guy's.
M.R.P.- Crazy Bunch!!!!!:)
P.S. Is this why Vincent cut off his ear, he was a fly guy?
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
OldredbarnApril 1st, 2015, 4:04 pm
Novi, MI

My 2 cents, as if there ever was a bad fly shown on this forum, I have not seen it yet. Nor do I think I ever shall. I see alot of styles & artist's of a sport as I see a bunch of men from all over this great land we all call home. Some just bring different style, ol'school & modern & fresh idea's, oh hell seems to be end-less. And ya know what it's a good thing. Sorry, just my 2 cents,& I've said to much & not enough cause your all good tie guy's.
M.R.P.- Crazy Bunch!!!!!:)
P.S. Is this why Vincent cut off his ear, he was a fly guy?

Well put Milt...I just think ole' Matt forgot his Happy Pills yesterday morning. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Kschaefer3April 1st, 2015, 4:10 pm
St. Paul, MN

So now there is a higher form of snobbery and elitism in dry fly fishing? So WTF are the "other" dry flies

Matt please. Does the guy driving the minivan get upset when his friend refers to the big block Camaro in the parking space next to his as a "real car"? Take it easy man...its just fly tying. CJ

I think comparing one type of fly to a minivan and the other to a Camero furthers Matt's point...:)
WbranchApril 1st, 2015, 4:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well I guess this is my minivan;

This is my "real car" LOL (2003 350Z 310 horsepower, six speed, engine mods, 0 - 60 in 5.3 seconds)

WbranchApril 1st, 2015, 4:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence wrote;

...I just think ole' Matt forgot his Happy Pills yesterday morning. ;)

I don't like to just go with the flow anymore. If I see some comment that interests me I will possibly respond and maybe with a flip comment. A little friendly friction makes these forums more interesting.
Kschaefer3April 1st, 2015, 4:53 pm
St. Paul, MN

So, just how fast can you corner on those winding Catskill roads with your "real car"? That would be the first question I would answer if I owned one.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.