Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Info on Chris Helm

Oldredbarn has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2014, 3:17 pm
Novi, MI

November 29, 2014

Special Announcement:

Funeral information for Chris Helm
Chris' wife Judy has passed on Chris' funeral arrangements:

VISITATION: Tuesday from 2pm until 8pm - will be held at Walker Funeral Home, 5155 W. Sylvania Ave. Toledo, OH 43623

MEMERIAL SERVICE: Wednesday at 11am - will be held at Grace Lutheran Church, 4441 Monroe St. Toledo, OH 43613

IN MEMORY: please consider sending a contribution to:

• Dr. Steven Treon- RESEARCH, c/o Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Ave M548, Boston, MA 02215
• International Federation of Fly Fishers- YOUTH, 5237 U.S. Highway 89 South Suite 11, Livingston, MT 59047
• Promedica Hospice, 5200 Harroun Rd, Sylvania, OH 43560

OBITUARY: Judy has asked for a SUNDAY release - please view the Toledo Blade accordingly. www.toledoblade.com

(Note: You should be able to tap on the link above to go to the newspaper. Remembering that the obit is not due for publication until tomorrow.)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Novi, MI

I know that not everyone that visits this site is aware of Chris Helm. He is the guy that introduced a great many of us to spinning deer hair flies. Over the years he produced many DVD's on deer hair flies.

His shop, Whitetail Fly Shop, run from his home in Toledo Ohio was a landmark for many tyers from Michigan (Detroit area especially) and Ohio. He was a fixture at many fly tying expositions.

He processed his own hides and there is probably no one with his knowledge of deer hair, tying threads, and fly tying in general.

When you called or stopped in his shop, his first question was, "What exactly are you trying to do?" Then he would walk you through the process from beginning to end.

I once called him, after reading his catalog, and asked about some thread he had said was his favorite for spinning hair. I told him I'd take it in every color he had. His reply, "Spence. Stop reading my catalog so closely! Once you tie the fly and spin the hair you can't see the thread anyway...You only need it in one color." Saved me a few bucks.

Last year I had him in to the Michigan Fly Fishing Club as a speaker. I helped him carry in several complete deer hides. They were beautiful! I offered, on the way out, to deposit one in the back of my truck, but he wasn't having it. :)

He was a wonderful asset to the craft of fly tying. A mellow, thoughtful man. Always helpful and there was always a crowd around his table at tying functions watching him tie his wonderful flies.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfNovember 29th, 2014, 9:37 pm
Palmyra PA

Ave atque vale. Chris was a great guy, and I am sad to know he is gone. He was always helpful and he sent me some special order deer hair just before closing up his shop. Thanks for posting this, Spence.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.