Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Missouri River July 2015

WbranchNovember 18th, 2014, 10:16 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Fly fishers,

My partner from 2014 has not been able to commit to partnering with me in 2015. He is having some issues and told me he can't give me an answer until early January 2015.

I have a nice bungalow booked from July 05 - July 15. (Actually I think I have the bungalow for seven days and then have to move into a smaller cabin for the last three days)

BTW the bungalow will sleep three; one each in a twin and one on the sleeper sofa. If you can only do seven days I'm okay with that and would be willing to drive you back to the airport early in the morning. If he can't go I am looking for a partner to share lodging and car rental/gas expenses. I know the river from Holter Dam to Craig as well as I know the West Branch of the Delaware. I've fished the Missouri almost every summer since 1995. The few years I missed it was due to high water.

The upper Missouri is arguably one of the best dry fly rivers in the United States. Of course there is good nymphing too but I go out to fish to large rising trout. Big numbers per day are possible if that is what you are after as well are really big, 21" - 24", browns and rainbows on dries. It just depends what you want to do.

Just like any fishery success is quite contingent on water flows and water temperatures. Usually the water temperatures in early July are in the low to mid 60's. Ideally the flows will be 3500-4000 cfs. Flows are directly related to snow pack. Long casts are not required but good line management skills and drag free casts are important.

I can typically do a ten day trip for about $1500. If anyone is interested you can PM me with any questions you might have. My partner leaves a pontoon boat out there and would probably let someone use it for a modest daily fee.

Here is a link to the lodging. Picture #1 is the partial interior of a bungalow. There is a separate vanity area, bathroom, full size refrigerator and a small dining table. There is a covered porch and good air conditioning.

http://www.wolfcreekangler.com/lodging.html
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.