Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Mating of black caddis, Page 2

The Specimen

Brachycentrus appalachia (Apple Caddis) Caddisfly AdultBrachycentrus appalachia (Apple Caddis) Caddisfly Adult View 13 PicturesI captured this specimen in the same color as this photograph, during its egg-laying flight. The emergers are much lighter.
Collected May 13, 2007 from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on May 18, 2007

The Discussion

TaxonJuly 15th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

By the way, what, if anything, do you make of the stonefly species he describes in Nymphs as Acroneuria nigrita?

Gonzo-

Acroneuria nigrita is but one (of six) Acroneuria subordinate species name equivalents (synonyms for) Hesperoperla pacifica. Here is a gorgeous photo of one taken by an extremely talented Oregon photographer, Arlen Thomason.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZOJuly 15th, 2007, 11:03 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks, Roger. I've never been able to track down that name. Now, however, I'm more puzzled than ever by both his illustration and parts of his text. The depiction and the mention of "Hatching on Northeast rivers occurs in late June" and his description of collecting/fishing it on the Henryville stretch of the Brodheads makes no sense for Hesperoperla pacifica. One puzzle replaces the other, I suppose.
TaxonJuly 16th, 2007, 6:20 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Gonzo-

I would be more comfortable having this discussion offline. I'll PM you later.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Shawnny3July 16th, 2007, 6:58 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thank you, Gonzo, for that hyperbolic endorsement of my inchworm and fishing skills. Everyone ought to know the true story, though: Gonzo was the most gracious of hosts, calmly enduring my shortcomings for many hours and then focusing his commentary instead on the few minutes when everything clicked for me. Despite his occasional razzing of Louis and a few others on this board, Gonzo's a consummate gentleman, and he's also one heck of a flyfisherman (I won't say just how good he is, lest he get a big head about it). He showed me some beautiful water and did everything he could to help me get into the fish. I sincerely appreciate his hospitality.

I have another theory about the inchworm's effectiveness. I think the fish might have been so embarrassed by its presence in their esteemed water that they were just trying to clean it up before any other fish were subjected to it, like so many maids sweeping up dust bunnies. Or something like that. I know that, after seeing some of Gonzo's patterns, I was a little embarrassed to show it to him just before tying it on - thank goodness it caught a few fish.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOJuly 16th, 2007, 9:18 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Geez, Shawn, thanks--I'm blushing. But I'm also wondering which one of us should be accused of employing hyperbole--I've looked at my post and can't find an ounce of it. It was great fun to meet you, and I'd happily share a stream with you, anytime, anywhere. (Except, perhaps, that tick-infested horror you inflicted upon your new bride on your honeymoon!) ;)

PS--Roger, fair enough. (Did I say something I shouldn't have? Again?)
TaxonJuly 16th, 2007, 11:14 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

PS--Roger, fair enough. (Did I say something I shouldn't have? Again?)

No. It was just that, I am inclined to answer someone's question even when I don't know for sure, but have simply formed an opinion. And, in that vein, the answer to your question was going to get more speculative than I'm comfortable with doing on a public forum.

It it easy to forget that our comfortable little conversations, often involving only a few participants, are likely listened to by a much larger percentage of the registered users, and heaven only knows how many non-registered folks, assuming the forum is available to them for listening purposes only, which it may well not be. I simply don't know or can't remember.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
GONZOJuly 16th, 2007, 12:12 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

As usual, Roger, I bow to your wisdom. And thanks for reminding me that I'm not just chatting with my pals here. I could probably benefit from that reminder on a regular basis, but by the time it registers, it's often too late. :)
MartinlfJuly 16th, 2007, 9:42 pm
Palmyra PA

Nice try Taxon, but your gracious offer will not save Gonzo from the style police.

--Two parentheticals both beginning with "and," and separated by another "and" clause? Now that's piling up the contractions. Tsk Tsk.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3July 16th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I don't know, Louis - I think your reaching.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJuly 17th, 2007, 7:18 am
Palmyra PA

Now that's ugly, Shawn, just plain ugly.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3July 17th, 2007, 7:41 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sorry, couldn't resist. I thought that if we deflect your ire in enough directions, we might all escape with only flesh wounds.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJuly 17th, 2007, 8:10 am
Palmyra PA

Oh, now I'm the aggressor. After all the abuse I've taken for my inability to get a fish in the net. I"m just trying to keep the discussion on grammar and spelling. Its that simpel.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3July 17th, 2007, 8:23 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

You're right, Louis - you're the real victim here. The Man is keeping you down. You got to fight the powahs that be.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.