Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tiny Baetid

CrepuscularOctober 2nd, 2014, 1:42 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

These tiny Baetids have been on the menu latelty. Sorry for the crappy photo hard to tell if the hind wing is even there. I think it is. less than 5mm long. Any thoughts?

TaxonOctober 2nd, 2014, 3:10 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Eric-

Any thoughts?

My guess would be Plauditus punctiventris. I believe hind wings are absent in your photo, and that what appears to be hind wing slightly protruding behind the left fore wing, may actually be a joint of the right hind leg.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MillcreekOctober 2nd, 2014, 3:59 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Eric- It's grasping at straws, but maybe Acentrella? I can't tell if it's just the angle of the photo but it looks like there may be a small "knob" on the top of the mesonotum.
CrepuscularOctober 2nd, 2014, 6:00 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Thanks gentlemen, I know it's a terrible photo. the little bugger flew away before I could pickle her. Tempermental models, they are all so flakey. ;)

I'll have to see if I can get a few more. At least I know the color and size for my immitations. and it's been very nice out..

GutcutterOctober 2nd, 2014, 6:46 pm
Pennsylvania

Now you're speaking my language.
Oh, and I know that spot...

I think it is a size 22 TMC 2488 like this...

or maybe this...

or maybe even a TMC100 size 22 like this...

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
CrepuscularOctober 2nd, 2014, 10:40 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Now you're speaking my language.

I think it is a size 22 TMC 2488 like this...

or maybe this...

or maybe even a TMC100 size 22 like this...

I like those. especially the top one. Nice long abdomen.

EntomanOctober 3rd, 2014, 2:14 am
Northern CA & ID

Looks like a tiny Sulfur to me (now that sounds vaguely familiar). ;) Perhaps Procloeon?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TaxonOctober 3rd, 2014, 4:34 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi guys-

Here is a list of: possible suspects.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
CrepuscularOctober 3rd, 2014, 8:42 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I don't like the road I'm about to venture down but, how much interspecific color variation do you think is present? The reason I ask is because there are a bunch of olive colored baetids around too, basically the same size. Both males and females have the olive coloration and the golden tan coloration. I know for a fact that the olive ones have hind wings with a costal projection, the forwing intercalaries are in pairs and the costal projection on the hind wing is somewhat broadly based (I don't like that character). the specimen I have is a female, its a brownish olive color 5.5 mm. I suppose we could be talking about separate species emerging simulatiously.

this is what the hindwing looks like please excuse my poor rendition but I think it's pretty accurate.:

CrepuscularOctober 3rd, 2014, 9:01 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Looks like a tiny Sulfur to me (now that sounds vaguely familiar). ;) Perhaps Procloeon?

ugh...;)
Feathers5October 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am
Posts: 287Me, too! I was going to correct you guys, but I decided to wait until someone knowledgeable posted.
CrepuscularOctober 3rd, 2014, 11:17 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Me, too! I was going to correct you guys

Correct what?
TaxonOctober 3rd, 2014, 12:02 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Eric-

this is what the hindwing looks like please excuse my poor rendition but I think it's pretty accurate.:

Among the Baetid hind wing venations which are illustrated in The Biology Of Mayflies, the venation of your rendition most closely resembles that of Acerpenna pygmaea, which was classified as Baetis pygmaesus at the time the book was written.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
CrepuscularOctober 3rd, 2014, 12:57 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

thanks Rodger. When I take it through Merritt and Cummins that's where I wind up too. But that still doesn't give us an Id for the Baetid pictured, that's why I was wondering about the interspecific variation in color, that always dubious character...
TaxonOctober 3rd, 2014, 4:07 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Eric-

If you are able to capture a female subimago of the coloration and size of the photo you posted, I suspect your ("I suppose we could be talking about separate species emerging simultaneously") statement may be proven to be accurate.

Rodger
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
LastchanceOctober 3rd, 2014, 10:26 pm
Portage, PA

ugh...;)

I was referring to this post: "Looks like a tiny sulfur to me." It was a joke.
CrepuscularOctober 4th, 2014, 3:05 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

ugh...;)

I was referring to this post: "Looks like a tiny sulfur to me." It was a joke.

Oh, sorry. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.
EntomanOctober 5th, 2014, 1:03 pm
Northern CA & ID

I don't like the road I'm about to venture down but, how much interspecific color variation do you think is present?

I'm with you. I feel the same way about baetid hind wings as well. It's been my experience that it's the rare specimen that matches anything diagramed.

Assuming your diagram is of a male wing and absent further evidence your little olive one is most likely Baetis. Acerpenna has a more acute process and the wing margin beyond is undulate.

Do the little amber ones have double or single intercalaries? Usually when they are this color, size and body shape one of the spur wings is the match. Either Procloeon or Anafroptilum would be my guess. The habitat sure looks right...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularOctober 5th, 2014, 4:42 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well I've caused enough problems with this thread. I say we table it until I stop paying attention to those rising fish and get some of the little critters and take some decent photos. ;)
OldredbarnOctober 6th, 2014, 11:28 am
Novi, MI

Well I've caused enough problems with this thread. I say we table it until I stop paying attention to those rising fish and get some of the little critters and take some decent photos. ;)

So tabled...You trouble maker! :)

Spence

Lovely autumnal photo there! There never seems to be a bad day to be standing in or next to some moving water.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.