Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Is The Baetis nymph For Which I am Looking?

Feathers5August 28th, 2014, 8:55 am

Question: If the nymphs go down in size to 22, 24 or 26, why does everyone recommend tyng size 18 or 20 nymphs?

Bruce
FalsiflyAugust 29th, 2014, 3:46 pm
Hayward, WI.

Question: If the nymphs go down in size to 22, 24 or 26, why does everyone recommend tyng size 18 or 20 nymphs?

Bruce, first of all who is everyone? Second, very few if anything in this so-called "sport" is set in stone no?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanAugust 30th, 2014, 6:58 pm
Northern CA & ID

Bruce,

Generally, it's a good idea to match the size of the naturals. The problem with nymphs below size 20 is that hooking becomes problematic. Proper setting of tiny hooks requires exquisite timing and touch - very hard to do fishing an unseen nymph... Unless I'm sight fishing (can see the take), I tend to stay away from the real tiny stuff. If I can... ;)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MartinlfAugust 30th, 2014, 9:38 pm
Palmyra PA

TIEMCO 2488.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsAugust 31st, 2014, 9:52 pm
Colorado

Ah! Bruce is asking the same question I just did in his other thread.
OldredbarnSeptember 1st, 2014, 12:25 am
Novi, MI

Bruce

Bruce,

Aren't you reading my answers to you in your other threads on this topic?!
The answer, one more time...There are more than one species of nymphs out there at the same time. They are different bugs. It isn't the same species at all these different sizes.

The traditional "Fall Baetis" is an 16/18 in our waters...From a Baetis standpoint it is the largest Baetis we have...But, there also can be other "olives" out there.

Tie your favorite pattern of PT Nymphs in all sizes and just pay attention.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsSeptember 1st, 2014, 12:42 am
Colorado

Bruce,

Generally, it's a good idea to match the size of the naturals. The problem with nymphs below size 20 is that hooking becomes problematic. Proper setting of tiny hooks requires exquisite timing and touch - very hard to do fishing an unseen nymph... Unless I'm sight fishing (can see the take), I tend to stay away from the real tiny stuff. If I can... ;)

If I understnad the OP (other thread -why there are three of them I'm not sure.) the question was does anyone fish deep with #24/26 nymphs? I know I don't. I'll go with Kurt's answer and be done with it.
PlanettroutSeptember 1st, 2014, 12:44 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

..or:

"Baetis and related nymphs range from size 14 down to 24. The most common are 16 to 20"

Western Mayfly Hatches-From the Rockies to the Pacific - Rick Hafele, Dave Hughes Pg. 43, 3rd. paragraph...

Like it was suggested by Martinlf above: TMC 2488 hooks and I would add to that Tiemco 16/0 Thread and Semperfli 18/0 Nano Silk soon become one's best new friends...for tying small Baetis nymphs...like these:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=70

PT/TB :o)
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
PaulRobertsSeptember 1st, 2014, 12:47 am
Colorado

Ah...I re-read the OP. I was thinking Bruce was talking about the really tiny late summer into fall guys -the season you all are in now. Guess I read in to what Bruce was asking.
Feathers5September 3rd, 2014, 9:26 am
PaulRobertsSeptember 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm
Colorado

I thought so. See my very first post in one of these threads. I blab on about "micro-nymphing" in a more general sort of way, since I don't specifically target #24/26 Baetids. I know I have a few #22 shot shank "Baetid" nymphs in a box that might as well be, and I'd use interchangeably with, some midge pupae I've seen.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.