Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Question?????????????????? What The F---.

Feathers5August 25th, 2014, 9:31 am
Posts: 287You know, I ask a serious question about BWOs and I get one response. If I post an inane remark I get followers. I don't get it.
Bruce
FalsiflyAugust 25th, 2014, 4:31 pm
Hayward, WI.

You know, I ask a serious question about BWOs and I get one response. If I post an inane remark I get followers. I don't get it.
Bruce

Bruce, as I see it this could be the result of a number of things.

• Nobody is really serious about the BWO.
  • You posted your question in General Discussion instead of Serious Discussion.
  • Everyone who knows anything about the BWO is out fishing that hatch and doesn’t have time to reply.
  • Most everyone is still wondering what the hell a BWO is.
  • Most everyone knows what a BWO is but doesn’t know how to fish it.
  • People are afraid to answer a serious question because it may appear to be a stupid answer and thus diminish their standing as being taken seriously.
  • Because inane comes from the Latin word inanis how could you not expect followers?

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Trout4lifeAugust 25th, 2014, 5:24 pm
Hi Bruce, I am a new poster but have been a reader for years. What is it, that you wish to know or want to discus ??? I get to fish them here and there but I have a particular fly and Technic if you may be interested.
Kschaefer3August 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
St. Paul, MN

I would love to help, Bruce, but I fear I am no help at all. I know that on one of my local streams, between 5 pm and dark this time of year, I fish with a #18 comparadun bwo and catch lots of fish. I doubt that is what bug they are actually eating, but I am able to take most the risers I cast too...unless I put them down :).

WbranchAugust 25th, 2014, 10:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

So what do you want to know about BWO's? I'm a fisher and not an entomologist but have been fly fishing for five decades.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CrepuscularAugust 26th, 2014, 8:50 am
Boiling Springs, PA

what are you whining about? You got responses and serious ones at that.
Feathers5August 26th, 2014, 9:29 am
what are you whining about? You got responses and serious ones at that.

What?
Jmd123August 26th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Oscoda, MI

Bruce, don't worry, they look just like sulphurs - just tie on a #18 sulphur and you'll be just fine...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Feathers5August 27th, 2014, 9:57 am
Bruce, don't worry, they look just like sulphurs - just tie on a #18 sulphur and you'll be just fine...

Jonathon

Ha! You can't go wrong with a sulphur nymph, Jonathon.
Bruce
OldredbarnAugust 27th, 2014, 12:24 pm
Novi, MI

Baetis brunneicolor...Right here from good old Troutnut...Brucie, do your homework, man! You need me to tie the darn fly on for you as well?! Eric! Take Buster fishing...He sounds like he needs it bad...Get his lucky Santa Claus hat out of storage...:) Post some pictures.

This is the largest common species of Baetis on our trout streams, and it can hatch in incredible numbers, drawing impressive rises of selective trout.

Anglers may have read in books about Baetis hiemalis, which is now a synonym of Baetis brunneicolor. It appears to have been a name for the fall-hatching brood of this species, which was reported to prefer slow water and weedy habitat instead of the gravelly riffles of the early summer brood.

Baetis brunneicolor is most often praised for the action it creates in the Midwest, but it is locally abundant in parts of the East and maybe in the West as well.

The duns drift a long distance on the water before taking flight, making them excellent dry-fly insects.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5August 28th, 2014, 8:48 am
Baetis brunneicolor...Right here from good old Troutnut...Brucie, do your homework, man! You need me to tie the darn fly on for you as well?! Eric! Take Buster fishing...He sounds like he needs it bad...Get his lucky Santa Claus hat out of storage...:) Post some pictures.

This is the largest common species of Baetis on our trout streams, and it can hatch in incredible numbers, drawing impressive rises of selective trout.

Anglers may have read in books about Baetis hiemalis, which is now a synonym of Baetis brunneicolor. It appears to have been a name for the fall-hatching brood of this species, which was reported to prefer slow water and weedy habitat instead of the gravelly riffles of the early summer brood.

Baetis brunneicolor is most often praised for the action it creates in the Midwest, but it is locally abundant in parts of the East and maybe in the West as well.

The duns drift a long distance on the water before taking flight, making them excellent dry-fly insects.

Hey Spence!
I did search the site, but still couldn't decide which Baetis on which to settle my opinion.
Thanks,
Bruce
EntomanAugust 29th, 2014, 7:59 am
Northern CA & ID

Net some of those critters and have Eric take a look at 'em.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.