Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Beetles

RbpcaddisJuly 5th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Posts: 5Just read a post on another bulletin board regarding the effectiveness of legs on beetles vs hackle. Poster said the legged beetles out fished the hackle versions. Any experiences out there to share. Gonzo? How about your thread legs for beetles?
GONZOJuly 5th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Rbpcaddis--I've used hackle, rubber, Krystal Flash, and thread for legs on beetles. I prefer the thread, but I won't make any claims about it being more effective (just better-looking and more durable). To me, the secret of a good beetle is in the "plop." Actually, I shouldn't be saying anything about beetles, because it's an open invitation for Lou.....Hey, this isn't a set-up, is it? :{
MartinlfJuly 5th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Palmyra PA

After the drubbing you gave me with those scuds I should be allowed a few jabs on beetles, but I must note that although on our beetle expedition I may have caught the first fish, and had some success while the little fellows gagged on your megabug, you caught the prize, one of the biggest little wild browns I've ever seen in that spot (I don't actually count the stockie in the upper hole, though). So I guess I don't have too much to say on this topic.

Oh, I feel a little Latin (and less Greek) lesson coming on and this will allow me to post on another thread:

"Apophasis (also called praeteritio or occupatio) asserts or emphasizes something by pointedly seeming to pass over, ignore, or deny it."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RbpcaddisJuly 5th, 2007, 6:59 pm
Posts: 5 I don't know Lou, but if it helps him out on the beetle topic so be it.:) I'm going to give those thread leg beetles a try. Thanks
GONZOJuly 5th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Rbp--Don't mind us. I really didn't think that the Professor was devious enough to enlist the aid of another in setting me up, but I am sufficiently paranoid to wonder....(??)
MartinlfJuly 5th, 2007, 7:50 pm
Palmyra PA

Nice work, Rhp. The check is in the mail. Oh yes, I'm using the thread legged beetle, and like it.

--Fred Chappell
WestJuly 14th, 2007, 9:00 am
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

I think the hackled beetle might be more effective as a searching pattern in fast water because it rides high (the palmered version). I recently met an author who gives very high praise to his brown hackled peacock beetle for midsummer trout in the driftless region of the midwest. He has me convinced that they should not be overlooked.
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/
GONZOJuly 15th, 2007, 10:23 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

West,
I'm sure that a high-riding peacock pattern with palmered brown hackle is an effective searching fly in fast water, but I doubt that much of that effectiveness is related to imitating beetles. Most terrestrial beetles (except the very smallest ones) ride very low in the water and eventually drown. If trout take the high-riding palmered pattern for anything specific (rather than just a general suggestion of a potential meal), my guess is that it might represent a small caterpillar rather than a beetle. But that's good, too!
ClydeOctober 31st, 2007, 8:39 am
Jackson, Mississippi

Beetles, there was a great article from "Warmwater Fly" [I think, it is no longer published] on making beetles out of shell of "Pistachio and Sun Flower Seed Husk!" Just buy you some nuts, enjoy, then take the husk and [you may have to trim and shape some Demel or sand paper] add to a hook that you have already added Chinelle to -- and glue it down with CA or Epoxy. They suggest "thread legs" also.

The SunFlower husk has a nice color already. You may want to paint or color the Pistachio husk. To be creative add wings, antenna.

Another idea was to use whole "Coffee Beans" as your beetle! Wrap some Chinelle or something on the hook add legs and Glue down. They work -- give them a try.
KEEP YOUR LINE WET
In His Love,
Clyde
MartinlfOctober 31st, 2007, 11:42 am
Palmyra PA

I've heard that the coffee bean beetle has just the right "plop" sound to call fish out of their lairs. I'm thinking to find out next season.

--Fred Chappell
JOHNWNovember 1st, 2007, 11:35 am
Chambersburg, PA

I can see it now well have caffeine starved trout stalking the banks looking for their fix once terrestrial season is over. Now I just have to figure out how to infuse my nymphs with Mtn. Dew.

On the serious side how different would the coffee bean fly be from the venerable Corkers so well known in the Cumberland Valley?

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfNovember 1st, 2007, 2:10 pm
Palmyra PA

As I understand, a bit heavier and with more kick. :)

--Fred Chappell
FlybinderNovember 1st, 2007, 4:10 pm
Oregon Coast

I used to fish, quite a bit, with the "coffee bean beetles", and they worked extremely well.(Latin name, "Folgersbettleitus)
But, I gave them up and went back to the old deer hair ties, when fish started asking for "cocoa beans", instead of the coffee. Then, when "decaf beans" were requested, by nervous and anal retentive fish, it was just too much to deal with.
Plus, all that cream and sugar kept spilling in my vest pockets, another hassle to always deal with.
If they won't take my black deer hair beetles, then let 'em eat cake!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
JADNovember 2nd, 2007, 4:52 am
Alexandria Pa

Selective Trout ------by the Trout Nut Forum.

I gussy I'll have to take my Espresso Maker to the trailer so I can serve Caffe Latte.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.