User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > tiny creek, big fun..

Report at a Glance

General Regionwestern NC
Time of Day9-12 AM
Fish Caught12 or so wild rainbows...
Conditions & Hatches73' at 8:00 during the hike in, rising to 85' by noon...
saw a few light cahill spinners on the water floundering but didn't see many risers...

Details and Discussion

BxRxTxKJuly 5th, 2007, 5:23 pm
western NC

my first report on this forum so hello to all from N.C.!

fished one of my favorite wild mountain streams this morning...
this creek was pretty much destroyed by ice storms downing trees 3 years ago, much of it is still almost impassible, but it was great to see some of the pools back to there old splendor...
tried some dry fly's but wound up switching to bead head nymphs and producing a dozen or so beautiful wild bows...
here are a few pictures...

......................cheers

GONZOJuly 5th, 2007, 6:13 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

BxRxTxK,
Bummer about the pix--I have no clue about the computer stuff, so I can't help you there. I do, however, share your love of mountain streams and wild trout. Great to hear that one your favorites is recovering!
BxRxTxKJuly 5th, 2007, 6:24 pm
western NC

there I fixed the links...
yeah, gonzo theres nothing more fun than stalking and catching wild trout that are an arms length from you in heavy cover...too fun!!!
unfortunately the pictures do no justice to the beauty of the colors on these fish...
GONZOJuly 5th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Gorgeous little 'bows, pal. I can see why that little gem is such a favorite.
MartinlfJuly 5th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Palmyra PA

Beautiful fish and spot; thanks for sharing the photos. Wish I'd somehow visited it when living in N.C. (Chapel Hill) but it looks like the kind of place one has to live near to discover. I did fish a small wild brown stream near Boone while visiting friends once, and there caught my first trout on fly, a little fellow, but he hooked me good. Tight lines,
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BxRxTxKJuly 5th, 2007, 6:47 pm
western NC

not too many trout waters over in the triangle...
but in western NC there are plenty to be found, this summer I would like to find some of the native brookies, but they appear to be pretty elusive...
Shawnny3July 5th, 2007, 10:59 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I lived in the trout-forsaken Triangle for 5 years, so I don't need anyone to tell me that it sucks. But between bass-fishing trips I did make a few jaunts to Western NC, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. A local there let me in on a beautiful brookie stream - since I'm not there anymore, I'll PM you the name once I've gotten out my topo map, because you sound like a nice guy who loves natives and would appreciate it. By FAR the most beautiful fish I've ever caught were on that stream. I never saw a fish bigger than 10 inches in there, but the colors made catching a 7-incher heaven.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADJuly 6th, 2007, 1:52 am
Alexandria Pa

I just got up at 4.30 in the morning. nice way to light up the day. Thanks for sharing.

John dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfJuly 6th, 2007, 4:38 am
Palmyra PA

Bx,

My favorite NC author, Fred Chappell, refers to brookies with affection in two of his books. In my pre-fly fishing days, and years and years ago, I once found the upper end of Wilson's creek thick with brookies that would eagerly take a Mepps spinner. They are gone now, I believe, a tremendous shame. Best of luck finding some. If you're ever up in PA, I can point you to some brookie streams here. And, of course, there's always Virginia.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
McjamesJuly 6th, 2007, 5:58 am
Cortland Manor, NY

Great pictures of a beautiful stream, thank you. To all the posters here, thanks ... A great way to get through a slow week at work
I am haunted by waters
IEatimagoJuly 6th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Spring Mills, PA

great post buddy, i miss fishing the small streams of n.c with ya.
next time you come up here for a visit maybe ill just ride back down with you and we ca hit the waters in virginia on the way down!
and welcome to the board, told you it was chill.
BxRxTxKJuly 7th, 2007, 6:19 am
western NC

no doubt brother...
I'm ready for another trip up that way already, too bad I came to late for the real good hatches this last time, this coming year I'm gonna have to come in april and stay a bit longer...
I'm working on a pack of fly's for you I 'll send them as soon as I can get them finished...thanks again for the introduction to the forum also. I web surf so little these days that without people turning me on to good sites they tend to be unseen to my eyes...

holler...

---------------------------->Buddy

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.