Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Northeast Michigan small stream fishing.

Partsman has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3X larger)
sorry for the cell phone pics, as soon as get done goofing around with rods and reels Im going to get a nice camera. Mike.
sorry for the cell phone pics, as soon as get done goofing around with rods and reels Im going to get a nice camera. Mike.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMikado, Michigan.
Time of Dayall day
Fish Caughtsmall rainbows and two brookies.
Conditions & Hatchessunny, mid 70,s light wind.

Details and Discussion

PartsmanJuly 27th, 2014, 4:13 pm
bancroft michigan

I really debated going fishing on Friday as my back is a complete mess right now and I cannot get in to a Doc. until Tuesday. But I got up and went and was rewarded with a spectacular day. The weather was beautiful, and there were no flying bloodsuckers, I got bit by one deerfly for the whole day. I have to admit I go more for the peace and quite, and time that I can reflect on life in general. But today the fishing gods had sympathy on me, I know I looked odd wading river with my trusty cross country ski pole as wading staff and hunched over like I belonged swinging from clock tower. I tied on #14 ehc and preceded to catch fish like I knew what I was doing. I lost count on the pretty little rainbows, and caught two beautiful brookies, all of which were released as they should be on beautiful little place like this. It was a great day and took some of pain out of back for a least a while.

MartinlfJuly 27th, 2014, 5:18 pm
Palmyra PA

Beautiful fish. As for the back; I can sympathize. I've had good luck with physical therapy and a gel called Voltaren. Bad backs come in many flavors, but it might be worth asking your doc if either may help you. Best of luck--with the back, and the fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123July 27th, 2014, 8:24 pm
Oscoda, MI

Good job Mike! Nice brookie, and I know where it came from...sorta anyway...

I release everything there, even after my friends harass me about it (including someone who grew up around here and fished it with his dad when he was a kid). That stream receives no stocking so everything in there is wild, and looks like it too.

Again, well done. I faced opening week of 2012 with severe, stabbing pain in both my neck and lower back, which of course didn't make fly-tying any easier! I said to hell with it, I'm going out even if I'm dying in pain...and you know what? I actually felt better, don't know if it was simply going out or the motion of fly casting or what, but the pain seemed to subside and for the rest of the week I was fine...perhaps the fact that the fishing was out of this world (massive hatches and massive feeding) had something to do with it???

;oD

Jonathon

P.S. Those pretty little rainbows grow to 14 inches every once in a while...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
ParsondApril 10th, 2015, 5:27 pm
Green River Wyoming

What a sweet brookie!
LastchanceApril 10th, 2015, 5:45 pm
Portage, PA

Nice fish. I give much to catch a fish like that in my area.
OldredbarnApril 10th, 2015, 6:13 pm
Novi, MI

Mike,

Nice job! I too understand the back issue and the effort to get out there none-the-less.

I had degenerative disk L4-L5 and had two surgeries...June 2005 and Feb 2007. The last time they fused it and I have two supports and six wood screws in there. That last operation was a life saver. I had to stop the hockey, but I'm back scaring the shit out of trout, and my wife because she thinks I fish after dark, and we all know that's not true...Right? Everyone repeat after me..."No Lisa...I swear...I've never run into him on the river after dark..." :)

I had the Quasimodo thing going on as well...30 degree lean to the left...My loving wife used to say, "We all knew he always leaned to the left...Further left than Che Guevara!"

The pressure of the disk pressing against the nerve left some permanent nerve damage...Shouldn't of waited so long...On my right foot the middle toe area always feels a little numb, like it's asleep...I wade a little like Lurch these days...Not as confidently as before.

Anyway...This is a fishing site not the damn ER...I'll be heading up for the opener near Grayling. Nice to see that they are looking up.

My mother used to be over your way, near Harrisville I think it was, and later over by Oscoda.

Thanks for the report and we hope your back gets better!

Spence

Always thankful for Brook Trout...Pure Michigan!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123April 11th, 2015, 7:17 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, check the date on the original post - Mike caught that fish LAST YEAR.

Sorry, Spence, things aren't nearly that exciting up here yet - I'm surprised myself to have caught that bass!! There aren't even any spring peepers or wood frogs calling around here. I hope things perk up for your traditional opening weekend, but I have my doubts...be ready for some tough fishing, barring a freak warm spell (oh please oh please...).

Less than two weeks now!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.