Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Someone has to help Spence!!!

Oldredbarn has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Help me....
Help me....
OldredbarnJuly 21st, 2014, 5:48 pm
Novi, MI

Getting ready for a western trip...9-10 days of fishing and this is the contents of one, yes one Wheatley box...Tan & Black caddis...

Now the real question is, why has Spence still been tying caddis?!

Somebody stop me!!! :)

If I take all the boxes I have I'll sink the drift boat!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LastchanceJuly 21st, 2014, 6:50 pm
Portage, PA

Gees, Spence. I thought I carried a lot of flies. Well at least you won't be caught short. HA!
OldredbarnJuly 21st, 2014, 7:09 pm
Novi, MI

Well at least you won't be caught short. HA!

I blame my mentor for instilling in me an over blown match-the-hatch mentality...During the winter of 94-95 I tied all winter to prepare for a trip to Montana for two weeks in the summer of 95. I fished the Madison hard and almost could of made it a one fly contest...One hot caddis pattern did the trick.

I did catch a 23.5" Brown on a float down the Madison on a small streamer.There was another day on a Madison float where we tossed streamers as well...There were midge and PMD's on Armstrong's and DePuy's...and I remember seeing one flav and a Yellow Sally stone...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MillcreekJuly 21st, 2014, 9:23 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Spence - Bless your little heart, I have to admire your tenacity and industriousness but I think you're a walking example of "One's too many and a thousand aren't enough.":)

On the plus side you should be ready for just about any eventuality as long as it involves caddisflies.

Mark
Jmd123July 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, I've seen less flies than that in a hatch that brought up serious feeding...you are a maniac, and sorry, this minimalist can't help you...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJuly 21st, 2014, 11:06 pm
Novi, MI

Spence, I've seen less flies than that in a hatch that brought up serious feeding...you are a maniac, and sorry, this minimalist can't help you...

;oD

Jonathon

You could remember me in your prayers this evening...

CrepuscularJuly 21st, 2014, 11:33 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Keep tying those colors don't look quite right. ;)
Jmd123July 21st, 2014, 11:39 pm
Oscoda, MI

"Dear Lord, please protect Spence from severe and chronic neck and back pain, he knows not what he does..."

Amen.

Jonathon

P.S. Damned Royal Wulff did the trick again tonight...see my post!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Feathers5July 22nd, 2014, 9:27 am
Posts: 287Hey Spence, I tied an entire box of flies for my trip out to Yellowstone several years ago. All I needed that week was a hopper. Those fish out there are trained to rise to anything. Have a great time.
FalsiflyJuly 22nd, 2014, 9:41 am
Hayward, WI.

Now the real question is, why has Spence still been tying caddis?!

Keep tying those caddis Spence, abundance is always good when chumming.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Kschaefer3July 22nd, 2014, 12:42 pm
St. Paul, MN

Nothing wrong with being prepared! I just wish I could tie a fishable dry. I think my trip to MT would have been considerably less expensive...
OldredbarnJuly 22nd, 2014, 5:42 pm
Novi, MI

Keep tying those caddis Spence, abundance is always good when chumming.

Allan...What a great idea! I have so many flies I can take one each from every compartment in the box, toss them on the water, and see which one they really want...Hmmm...:)

Thanks Jonathon, but somehow I don't feel your hearts in to it...;)

Eric...You're so helpful bud! :) Between you egging me on and what may be color-blindness I'm going to go bonkers!

Kyle...Don't say anything to anyone, but you should see my streamer box...boxes. :) My secret fly, "This Dutchman Loves Blonds" is going to put me over the top! My biggest Madison Brown was 23.5"...Can I get a "two-footer" this time out?

Spence

OldredbarnJuly 22nd, 2014, 5:42 pm
Novi, MI

Hey! I could of tied 20 more dozen just in the time it took me to post that last one...:)

Kschaefer3July 23rd, 2014, 9:59 am
St. Paul, MN

Kyle...Don't say anything to anyone, but you should see my streamer box...boxes. :) My secret fly, "This Dutchman Loves Blonds" is going to put me over the top! My biggest Madison Brown was 23.5"...Can I get a "two-footer" this time out?

Streamers!?!?! I'll pretend I didn't read that. :)

Good luck with the two footer! A fish of that stature is pretty hard to come by, even on a river like the Madison.

CrepuscularJuly 23rd, 2014, 2:52 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Hey! I could of tied 20 more dozen just in the time it took me to post that last one...:)

Get off the internet, who said you could stop tying?
OldredbarnJuly 25th, 2014, 12:17 am
Novi, MI

:)

OldredbarnJuly 25th, 2014, 12:25 am
Novi, MI

I have a plastic carrying case with fly box like drawers in it that I purchased from JoAnns. Gonzo had given me a roadmap to a lighter vest. Some really good suggestions a few years back. I was going to organize and carry fewer flies in a box, but more variety. If I used a couple and wore them out or lost them I'd be able to restock the depleted slots in my vest boxes at night back in the room.

I found it the other night in the fly tying closet. I pulled out one of the trays to find it stuffed with flies. On the lid it said "Hydropsyche & Brachycentrus."

Hmmm...Another several dozen caddis. I hope there's some caddis action out west this time out! ;)

Spence

TNEALJuly 25th, 2014, 9:35 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Sell some for gas money. Looks like you'll have plenty left over to fish with.
LastchanceJuly 26th, 2014, 10:45 am
Portage, PA

I have a plastic carrying case with fly box like drawers in it that I purchased from JoAnns. Gonzo had given me a roadmap to a lighter vest. Some really good suggestions a few years back. I was going to organize and carry fewer flies in a box, but more variety. If I used a couple and wore them out or lost them I'd be able to restock the depleted slots in my vest boxes at night back in the room.

I found it the other night in the fly tying closet. I pulled out one of the trays to find it stuffed with flies. On the lid it said "Hydropsyche & Brachycentrus."

Hmmm...Another several dozen caddis. I hope there's some caddis action out west this time out! ;)

Spence

Can I place an order? Don't make me drive up there and knock some sense into you, buddy. Geez. Stop tying? Start fishing!
OldredbarnJuly 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Novi, MI

Thanks to both of you, Bruce, and Tim...I get the message loud and clear! :)

Be on the river soon! :)

Spence

Bruce...You know no one gets to peek in the "real" fly-boxes unless they are fishing with this Dutchman! :) Then I may knot some of them on for you...With a really strong knot because of all the big fish you catch and you are hard on your leaders since you tend to fall in on occasion! ;) Those rocks on the Little J and Spring Creek can stretch a leader beyond its limit!

Speaking of falling in...I think I'm convinced that you are actually a river otter...I have never seen anyone take a dunk and bounce up with a smile on his face like I've seen you do!

Get after them brother...It will be snowing again here soon...Oh! That's right, you and Eric fish in all weather. I nearly forgot the Santa Claus Trout caught near the north pole.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.