Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best Richland County trout streams

TyroJuly 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm
illinois

Hi All,

Did anyone out there fish any good Richland County streams last season that they can report on?

I'll be going up to Richland Center right after labor day & would appreciate any advice regarding good fly fishing waters.

Thanks
Kschaefer3July 21st, 2014, 12:07 pm
St. Paul, MN

Sorry a little late, I was in MT for two weeks. What type of water are you looking for? Big or small? High numbers or larger fish?
TyroJuly 24th, 2014, 11:05 am
illinois

Kschaefer3,
Thanks for getting back. I haven't fished Wisconsin before, but am eager to try streams like the headwaters of Fancy Creek. I know that early September is generally the hottest time of the season and stream fishing will be chancy at best, but I'm encouraged by reports so far from the Driftless Anglers fly shop. Have you had any experience with other streams in the area?

Thanks
Kschaefer3July 24th, 2014, 11:22 am
St. Paul, MN

I fish the area a bit. I fish Vernon county more, although they are relatively close together. September gets hot, but it is also hopper season! Concentrate on morning and evenings, but you can still catch fish midday (sometimes lots of them). I am not familiar with fancy creek. I'll send a PM shortly with some recommendations.

P.s. Driftless Angler, While a great shop, is overly optimistic with their reports. I'd say use it more as a guide for the stream temps than anything.
TyroJuly 24th, 2014, 3:33 pm
illinois

The Wiconsin DNR has done a great job mapping trout streams by class and county. I'll be making Richland Center my base while up there and might make it into Vernon county if time allows.
Kschaefer3July 24th, 2014, 4:05 pm
St. Paul, MN

The Wiconsin DNR has done a great job mapping trout streams by class and county. I'll be making Richland Center my base while up there and might make it into Vernon county if time allows.

I agree. I have spent many hours researching the maps.

They have done an equally good job securing public lands and easements. I appreciate them both a great deal.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.