Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Drunella spp nymph- I think

Roguerat has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
RogueratJuly 6th, 2014, 9:08 pm
The Upper Platte was literally crawling with these nymphs, every substrate sample I kicked-up had dozens. I think it's a Drunella spp., length and 'bicep' front legs are pretty indicative. Any official ID on these?

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him..'
TaxonJuly 6th, 2014, 11:20 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Roguerat-

I believe them to be Drunella doddsii.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanJuly 6th, 2014, 11:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Very good, Rogue! Yes, those are mature Drunella cornutella (Blue-winged Olive) nymphs. Their size is the key.

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanJuly 6th, 2014, 11:40 pm
Northern CA & ID

Roger -

I was thinking the same thing until I noticed the mm ruler in one of the photos. Then I remembered Rogue doesn't post about our Rogue... Or our Platte. He's on the other side of the country. He seems to have a penchant for fishing streams back East with the same names as our famous Western ones.

Do you do this just to mess with us, Rogue? How nefarious... :) Lol
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJuly 7th, 2014, 12:25 am
Novi, MI

The pics seem a tad dark, but we are closing in on D lata time?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123July 7th, 2014, 12:34 am
Oscoda, MI

Kurt, he's one of us Michiganders...and we have a Rogue River that is NOT in Oregon! And yes, we have a Platte, too, not to mention about 15 "Pine Rivers"!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanJuly 7th, 2014, 1:41 am
Northern CA & ID

Certainly possible, Spence. They are also small, though usually not this dark or stout. They are known for this location as well. I'd need a look at the Frontoclypeal projections to know for sure. Notice the single large tubercle on the forefemora? That's not in the diagram for lata that shows multiple tubercles of more or less even length for a more serrated look. Don't know what that means... I do know that angler reports often credit the wrong species. :)

Jon - Yeah, you guys could probably post ID requests from the Madison or Yellowstone, too... Got any Henry's Forks back there? :) LOL
RogueratJuly 7th, 2014, 8:26 am
Hey, guys, don't forget that TU was founded in MICHIGAN...and that the Baldwin River (although it's appearance and flow is closer to a creek, and a smaller one at that...!) was the first trout stream planted with 'German' Brown trout way back when.
Seriously, I just Googled 'River names of Michigan' and apparently we don't have a Madison, Yellowstone, or Henry's Fork. We DO boast the Misery River, Mosquito River, Dead River, Bad River, and some other interesting flows!

Anyway, someday I'll make the trip 'west' and fish waters I've only read about or seen in magazines. Until then, I'll make do with in-state fishing.

Tight Lines!

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
EntomanJuly 7th, 2014, 8:04 pm
Northern CA & ID

Sounds like a plan, Rogue! :)

As for Browns being planted first in MI, there may be some New York boys that would dispute that.;) The truth is the first egg shipments from Germany were actually split between both after the originally planned New Jersey facilities proved unworkable. Who dumped trout where and when from there is murky at best. As for pride of place as the first location for New World Salmo trutta, neither have claim. Both were beaten by Massachusetts several years before, but Mr. Brown Trout wasn't propagated from there. Dr. Behnke wrote an interesting article on this topic in Trout Magazine back in the mid 80's I think.
OldredbarnJuly 7th, 2014, 8:29 pm
Novi, MI

I live just a short walk from the old hatchery in Northville Michigan where the first eggs sent to Michigan arrived...I'm sticking to the Pere Marquette...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Feathers5July 8th, 2014, 9:42 am
Posts: 287I've seen similar bugs in my Pennsylvania streams.
EntomanJuly 9th, 2014, 10:10 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hey Bruce,

Yes, the small blue-winged olive cornutella and lata species are also common in your neck of the woods.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.