Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing Stream/River Suggestions in US

CantCatchNEJuly 1st, 2014, 12:32 pm
Posts: 1Hi Everyone. I have fished in many parts of the US.

- Beach @ First River Bridge North Conway
- Gunnisson in Colorado
- All over the Northeast stopping when I see a stream
- Utah all over the place
- I tried once in Bozeman, MT

Can anyone give me very specific locations to fish anywhere in the US? I will be @ Yellowstone Park and Glacier national park mid- August. I can fly/travel anywhere. I'm looking for very specific location suggestions and some assistance on how to fish the areas. I'm not great at fly fishing yet but I'd like to spend a few weeks traveling and learning.

Any help would be great.
GusJuly 2nd, 2014, 3:54 pm
colorado

The Rogue River has a great run of summer steelhead! There are a couple towns that the Rogue runs trough. I like the fishing best in Medford plus it is close enough to the Klamath River (with in an hour) down in Northern California when has better numbers, less pressure, but slightly smaller fish.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
MotroutJuly 3rd, 2014, 1:35 pm
If you are going to be in Yellowstone anyway, there's no reason whatsoever to range very far. That's the best trout country in the US, I think you could say. Gallatin, Yellowstone, Lamar basin, all of that should be fishing well.

Ranging a little further into Montana, from experience I'm a huge fan of the upper Bitterroot (especially the East and West Fork) as well as the upper Big Hole and its tributaries. Beautiful river valleys, both of those, and you'll have more fun the further up you go just about any tributary. The Clark Fork is a good one too, but the fishing is spotty, localized. Pretty hit and miss but when I've done well I've done real well.

Plenty of mountain lakes to fish in Glacier, as well as the three forks of the Flathead River. Not as good as the Yellowstone area, but still solid especially for native cuttthroat. The fish are small because the water is basically all snowmelt with zero nutrients. But on the flipside, easy to catch for the most part.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
TroutnutJuly 4th, 2014, 6:33 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

If you don't have a particular place in mind, and you have the resources to fly all over the place, your money might be better spent just picking one region known for good trout fishing and hiring a guide to help you catch more fish.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
NeilJuly 20th, 2014, 12:47 pm
Thermopolis, Wyoming

check out the Bighorn River in Thermopolis on your way to Yellowstone. its a dry fly paradise and before now, nobody knows about it!
fish hard or die
CrenoJuly 20th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Grants Pass, OR

some of us have known about it for years............... :-)
OldredbarnJuly 21st, 2014, 4:00 pm
Novi, MI

Well Neil...By the end of next week I should be a ways down stream from you at Ft Smith. No doubt in a flotilla, but I've never been there.

Wyoming is beautiful...Was there last year. Would like to spend some time there instead of racing through.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.