Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > How long does this one hatch for.

The Specimen

Theliopsyche (Little Brown-Green Sedges) Little Brown Sedge AdultTheliopsyche (Little Brown-Green Sedges) Little Brown Sedge Adult View 5 PicturesThis one has a neat iridescent sheen to its wings.

See the discussion for details on this fly's tentative ID.
Collected May 28, 2007 from Mystery Creek #42 in Pennsylvania
Added to Troutnut.com by on June 4, 2007

The Discussion

BrookymanMay 18th, 2014, 11:16 pm
Banned
I am very sure that I see this one hatching in late June. When we are up at the Beaver river our special place for the first week in July. That area is all the way up to Georgian bay. It certainly looks like this and the size it good. So assuming this is the right one what is this ones emergent time frame. It is a very fish able hatch for me at that time frame. If it is not this one would anybody know what its look alike is. I tie a size 20 for these little guy's.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
TaxonMay 19th, 2014, 4:55 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack-

So assuming this is the right one what is this ones emergent time frame.

Micrasema rusticum, one of the four Micrasema species present in Ontario, is listed as having an emergence period of mid-June to late-July in the book, Caddis Super Hatches by Carl Richards and Bob Braendle.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanMay 19th, 2014, 11:34 pm
Banned
Excellent Roger thank you so much. I am really sure that is the one but you never know till it under the microscope right. That fits the time frame perfectly.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanMay 20th, 2014, 12:55 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Mack,

Your stream is not optimal habitat for Micrasema (Tiny Black Grannom). While possible, it's more likely that what you're seeing are adults of all those yellow orange larvae you are finding. As adults, Chimarra are known as Little Black Sedges.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanMay 20th, 2014, 1:09 am
Banned
Thanks Coooool that make good sense. So the Chimarra have the DK olive toned abdomens right ?
EntomanMay 20th, 2014, 1:18 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

They can, but usually they are very dark almost black from the pharate stage on. As pupae they are still an orangish yellow but usually even more vibrant than the larvae.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanMay 20th, 2014, 1:21 am
Banned
This sounds like it, THX Kurt
EntomanMay 20th, 2014, 7:49 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

You're welcome.

Btw - I edited the taxon name. Never noticed before, but it had been misspelled all these years as "Microsema." Don't know how I've missed that all this time. The name would fit though as it is a little guy.:)

Also, I moved the specimen to Theliopsyche as that is its most likely ID. Wrong eggs, spurs and other characters for Micrasema.
BrookymanMay 20th, 2014, 1:38 pm
Banned
Glad you mentioned that misspelling. When I saw Rogers spelling I almost wrote him to let him know that he spelled it Micrasema. Looks like Roger is perfectly on point as usual. They are defiantly tiny ones.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.