Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Mayfly adult [ Leptophlebia cupida (Early Black Quill) ]

Brookyman has attached these 9 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.4X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
BrookymanMay 18th, 2014, 2:28 am
Banned
First its body is 12 mm. I found it dead while try to just catch even a sunfish. The area is heavily silted still waters. There are not even rocks total YUCK water. I have never seen this one before and the only thing hatching at this time of years that has 3 tails is Ephemerella. The wings look a bit like Isonychia but they are not ready to hatch. It is a male so if I have the genus I might be able to sort it out on the microscope. Any guesses I know the pictures are the best but let try anyway.

I have some Ephemera larva that are almost ready to go but I don't think its that.

It is most likely 11 mm the abdomen is extended a bit

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
BrookymanMay 18th, 2014, 3:38 am
Banned
I added some microscope photos of the head, check out the lower part of the eye. That I have defiantly never seen before.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanMay 18th, 2014, 12:34 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

It's a Leptophlebia cupida (Early Black Quill). Notice the much smaller terminal filament? Interesting thing about this critter is the schooling behavior of its prong-gilled nymphs. Some believe them to be unimportant because they tend to migrate into marshy water for hatching that is often isolated after spring high water recedes. This species also has the unusual character of being darker as a sub (almost black) than in its imago stage (mahogany).

I'm not aware of any credible reports of this critter being on the water (in its adult stages) in enough numbers to interest trout, but their nymphs can provide fishing on occasion if the angler happens to be near a school working its way to hatching habitat. Also, their biggest numbers are usually found in the frog water you describe that rarely holds trout once the season warms up.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanMay 18th, 2014, 3:44 pm
Banned
Thanks Kurt. That's why I have never seen it before because the waters condition are really bad. Its above a old dam and the silt levels are ridicules. Trout Unlimited is plan some modification to open the dam but not disturb the sediment. It goes way back to when that area was a heavy agricultural area. They have not publicly announced what is in the sediment. But my old friend Jack Imhof the national biologist TU Canada told me it is a major environmental disaster just waiting to happen. About 3 miles down stream their is another major dam with the same circumstances. It is in worse shape and ready to break at any time. This also explains why I have very few trout waters to fish. Locally right now all I have is the small steelheads that are on their way down to the lake. By mid June the system for the most part is empty other than a few odd trout here an there.

Many of the Ontario stream face these issues - dams, slow moving water, heavy red clay sediments, low DO in the late spring and almost no aquatic life in the reaches of streams nearing lake Ontario and Erie. It is a very sad affair. But we have a great education system, and free health care for everybody so I guess that's not to bad.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.