Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Denali

Wbranch has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
Arrival in our bush plane
Arrival in our bush plane
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
Denali from the lodge
Denali from the lodge
Telephoto from the lodge
Telephoto from the lodge
Grizzly paw print
Grizzly paw print
Getting stuck in the mud!
Getting stuck in the mud!
Our guide
Our guide
Typical fresh coho
Typical fresh coho
WbranchApril 29th, 2014, 3:50 pm
York & Starlight PA

A couple of years ago in late August I went to Alaska for a week. I'm not exactly sure how far we were from Denali but someone indicated it was about 60 miles. For the first five days there were just no chances for any pictures due to heavy cloud cover. I think on the sixth, or maybe the last, day it cleared up and I got these pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3April 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm
St. Paul, MN

That looks awesome! Are you just trying to make us all jealous with your last couple posts? ;)
WbranchApril 30th, 2014, 1:52 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle,

Nah, just want to share some pics I don't believe I ever posted before. But maybe the big fish pics are there so you, and others, can aspire to experience the kind of fishing life I've had.
GldstrmSamApril 30th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Fun to see some familiar scenes on the forum.

Looks like it was a fun trip.

It is amazing (and unfortunate) how some of us Alaskans take all of that scenery for granted. On a trip to Anchorage recently I didn't even get out of the car to take some pictures of Denali when it was nice and clear. Every time that I go by those mountains though, I remember what a great state I live in.

Even though I have fished hard for fish those size (salmon in general), I have never actually caught one on a rod. :( I know it gives me something to aspire to.

Actually, I am about to bust out to Wisconsin for a couple months. I hope to land some nice fish (even if they aren't salmon) down there. I have heard that the place I am going is the Musky capital...we will see.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Kschaefer3April 30th, 2014, 4:15 pm
St. Paul, MN

Kyle,

Nah, just want to share some pics I don't believe I ever posted before. But maybe the big fish pics are there so you, and others, can aspire to experience the kind of fishing life I've had.

Well, thanks for sharing! These pictures certainly do make me aspire to that kind of life. Your post on Armstrong even more, as I'm infinitely jealous of your summer fishing excursions back then. It saddens me, to a degree, that I will never be able to experience MT in that state. I just hope I can find a way to create those types of memories given my situation. The sport and the rivers are far different now.
WbranchApril 30th, 2014, 4:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Kyle,

You wrote;

It saddens me, to a degree, that I will never be able to experience MT in that state. I just hope I can find a way to create those types of memories given my situation. The sport and the rivers are far different now.

Yep, it is true that many of the rivers that I was fortunate to fish in the late 60's and all of the 70's and 80's are pretty much screwed up with the huge influx of guys who took up fly fishing in the early 1980's and beyond.

It is hard to believe but for days and days me and my partner would be the only two guys fishing the Madison. We used to drive up from Ennis where we were staying and cross the little iron bridge where the West Fork of the Madsion enters and catch fish after fish all day long and never see another guy.

However there are still lots of less well known rivers and streams where you can go and have great fishing. Of course I can't be giving you the GPS here on line. You just need to do your homework and figure out where to go to find great fishing with few other anglers.
Kschaefer3April 30th, 2014, 5:04 pm
St. Paul, MN

Hi Kyle,

You wrote;

It saddens me, to a degree, that I will never be able to experience MT in that state. I just hope I can find a way to create those types of memories given my situation. The sport and the rivers are far different now.

Yep, it is true that many of the rivers that I was fortunate to fish in the late 60's and all of the 70's and 80's are pretty much screwed up with the huge influx of guys who took up fly fishing in the early 1980's and beyond.

It is hard to believe but for days and days me and my partner would be the only two guys fishing the Madison. We used to drive up from Ennis where we were staying and cross the little iron bridge where the West Fork of the Madsion enters and catch fish after fish all day long and never see another guy.

However there are still lots of less well known rivers and streams where you can go and have great fishing. Of course I can't be giving you the GPS here on line. You just need to do your homework and figure out where to go to find great fishing with few other anglers.

I wouldn't want the coordinates anyway (that's only half true :)). Part of the fun for me is exploring and finding water that is productive. I oftern fish places solely because I don't think others do. You never know when you might stumble on a "secret" honey hole.
OldredbarnMay 1st, 2014, 2:54 pm
Novi, MI

They ever recover that pick-up? Man! That ones in below the axles...

Matt,

I haven't been to Alaska since 1973. A good friend of mine flies up there every year...It's on the bucket list.

I have a friend that works for Eppinger Lures that goes up to the Northwest Territories in the fall and fish's Great Slave Lake and Bear Lake for monster spawning Lake Trout on a fly rod...Incredible!

Boys...There are still some very nice, wild, places out there to explore.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchMay 1st, 2014, 3:17 pm
York & Starlight PA

Message deleted.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.