Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly casting instruction

WbranchApril 24th, 2014, 10:00 am
York & Starlight PA

My grandson is 24 and about four years ago got very involved with spin fishing. Now he wants to take up fly fishing (I think because of all the big trout pictures I send to him) I think I can cast as well as the next guy but I'm not a very good teacher. I can show someone how to cast correctly but have trouble explaining, and verbalizing, the mechanics of casting.

Does anyone know where I can contact a fly caster with teaching experience? Thanks in advance.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CatskilljonApril 24th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Upstate NY

I know this is a little short notice, but next weekend at the CFFCM the WTF guys will be having their casting event at the museum. There will be a number of certified casters giving demo's both for single and 2 hand rods, roll casting, trick casts, etc.

Here is the link...

http://wildtroutflyrodders.org/casting-rendezvous/

I was asked to tie there too so if you go we can chat! CJ
WbranchApril 24th, 2014, 10:35 pm
York & Starlight PA

John,

Thanks for the info. I don't think that is going to work as he is wrapping up his finals for a graduation on May 10. Another forum member with whom I have exchanged many PM's and emails has offered to tach my grandson the art of fly casting. Hopefully my grandson and I will be able to make a trip to my cabin during May.

Also I know how he is and being in a group of strangers and trying to learn how to fly cast would be a daunting challenge to anyone. I would perfer the privacy of the lawn at the cabin and once he has become acquainted with the overhead cast it is just a few steps to getting into the river.
MartinlfApril 26th, 2014, 2:04 am
Palmyra PA

Take him to Bob Clouser. Bob is the very best casting instructor I've ever seen, and he's a great guy. Easy going, generous, and down to earth.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchApril 26th, 2014, 8:58 am
York & Starlight PA

For some reason I never thought of Bob Clouser. It's surprising how many leads I've gotten on casting instructors on this, and another, forum. I'd bet at least ten people hae contacted me to answer my inquiry. I also sent an email to FFF and they sent me a list of about twenty certified casters in PA.
OldredbarnMay 1st, 2014, 2:39 pm
Novi, MI

Matt,

Where does your grandson live?

I'll second the Clouser mention from Louis...I got to spend a little time with him a couple years ago at our show and I don't think they come any more laid back...Nice guy.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchMay 1st, 2014, 3:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

After I told my grandson that I'd located two casting instructors, one in Carlisle, and one up at the cabin, he told me that he had complete confidence in me teaching him to fly cast. That made me feel really good. I just have to control the usual frustration I feel when I try and teach/show anyone fly casting. It just seems so easy for me. So I'll just have to take a Xanax before we get out on the lawn.
Kschaefer3May 1st, 2014, 3:31 pm
St. Paul, MN

Matt,

I'm sure it is so easy for you! After all those years, it must be like second nature.

I got a good chuckle out of your Xanax comment. I know the feeling. Patience is not my strong suit and I run into the same issue trying to teach people anything. You should see me try to teach something technology related at work...
WbranchMay 1st, 2014, 3:46 pm
York & Starlight PA

It is probably my worst trait - although others might have different opinions.
OldredbarnMay 1st, 2014, 7:50 pm
Novi, MI

Well. You have probably heard me speak here of my mentor Bill. To this day I haven't practiced enough for his liking...Every so often he shows up "to see how I'm progressing", with the implication that it isn't somehow up to snuff.

Willy and I have remained friends since we met in the late 70's...You either love him or you don't...There's no in between and he don't give a damn either way. Rusty Gates made a joke about nominating me for sainthood. :)

Bill used to tie flies for Rusty's dad Cal Gates. Rusty said they had a lounge area known as the Brown Trout room where guys could hang out...He would go in there in the morning and find Bill asleep on the coach...He was too cheap to pay for a room. :)

It's a process and a life long one at that, so Matt, he'll probably hook a tag alder or two, but who among us hasn't?! :)

When I was working with a nephew in the 90's I took him to my club and let the best caster in the club work with him in the gym. Like you I thought it would take a little pressure off of him not having to work with his uncle.

Spence

I was happy when I once overheard Bill telling a guide friend of ours that, "Spence ties a fishable comparadun, and he can cover a fish."

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchMay 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

.Every so often he shows up "to see how I'm progressing", with the implication that it isn't somehow up to snuff.

Back in early March I went to a fly fishing show sponsored by the same guy who does all the shows. Well I wanted to try a TFO BVK 9' #9 like the rod I bought for my Andros trip. So a guy set it up for me and I went over to the casting area. I'd estimate it to be 75' in length, maybe a little more. So I stripped off a heck of a lot of line and once I had the belly in the air I did one double haul and shot all the line I'd stripped off.

So I stripped off even more like and again just got the belly in the air, made one forward and backward haul and shot all the line and hit the back of the castng "pond". I was feeling pretty smug when along comes Lefty Kreh and he says (somewhat out of context) "You could use a few pointers to improve your cast and distance".

He has an entirely different approach to throwing a lot of line. I feel I have adequate distance with just applying what I'd call the typical 10 - 2 arm motion. He lets his arm and the rod go way down until it was basically almost fully parallel with the floor. I thanked him for his advice and put the rod back.
OldredbarnMay 1st, 2014, 8:46 pm
Novi, MI

I'll have to PM you a Lefty story...:)

Spence

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.