Report at a Glance

General RegionCatskills
Specific LocationEsopus Creek
Time of DayMorning til Noon
Fish CaughtA few Browns

Details and Discussion

Flyfisher06July 1st, 2007, 1:57 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
GONZOJuly 1st, 2007, 2:26 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Todd,
Where were you on the Esopus? If you were below the Portal, how was the color of the water? That stream used to be a summertime favorite of mine, and I keep hoping for word that it is recovering. The fact that you report browns rather than the wild rainbows for which it was once famous makes me wonder how that recovery is going.

Best,
Lloyd
Flyfisher06July 1st, 2007, 5:59 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Lloyd,the water was very clear a bit of a bluish green hue we caught some browns that seemed kind of wild with much brighter coloration than i am used to and they fought hard and my son landed one about 14 inches that even took a few leaps out of the water I landed a small wild rainbow and fought a few other rainbows until I lost them we fished both above and below the portal and I cant wait to get back I hope that helps you Lloyd
hope to see you there Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Flyfisher06July 1st, 2007, 6:01 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Oh almost forgot took a few pics I am working on trying to figure out how to upload them
GONZOJuly 1st, 2007, 6:55 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks, Todd. The wild rainbows and "bluish green" water are both very encouraging signs. The last time I fished the Esopus, the water was dirt-brown and thick with silt below the Portal. Here's hoping it will recover its status as one of the most productive wild trout streams in the East. And I'm not surprised that you had some trouble landing a few of the rainbows--even the small ones always fought like demons.
Flyfisher06July 1st, 2007, 10:02 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

hey gonzo if you plan on going to try it yourself let me know its 2and1/2 hours from me maybe I can meet you
GONZOJuly 2nd, 2007, 10:25 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Will do, Todd. I've avoided the Esopus for many years because I couldn't bear to be disappointed by a stream that held such fond memories, but your eagerness to return has prompted a similar longing in me. I'll contact you later in the month, and perhaps we can set something up.

Best,
Lloyd
McjamesJuly 3rd, 2007, 6:23 am
Cortland Manor, NY

FYI sneaking up to Neversink tomorrow and I talked to a proprietor of one of the Catskill fly shops who said the Esopus is experiencing best fishing of past 5 years
I am haunted by waters
GONZOJuly 3rd, 2007, 7:33 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hi James,
Thanks for confirming that the Esopus is improving; that's very good news indeed. Have you heard if the hatches are recovering as well? There used to be especially good sulphur and slate drake hatches.
McjamesJuly 3rd, 2007, 7:53 am
Cortland Manor, NY

no I didnt think to ask but here is what he has on his website:

The Esopus is now in good shape. Hatches have been mainly Isonychias, Caddis and some Sulphers (sic!).

http://www.catskillflies.com/stream.html
I am haunted by waters
Flyfisher06July 3rd, 2007, 3:17 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

hey james how long are you going to be there for I am home alone this week and maybe i would come down by the way my son and I left the river at1pm sunday and there was already a good drake and sulfur hatch beginning we really didnt want to leave but we had to todd
McjamesJuly 5th, 2007, 6:42 am
Cortland Manor, NY

hi todd spent the day yesterday (july 4) on the neversink I'll post in "reports"
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.