Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Predator Fly

Kschaefer3February 25th, 2014, 1:42 pm
St. Paul, MN

I put the dries on hold for a bit while I beef up my streamer box and musky flies. This is the newest fly for some toothy critters. It's nothing special design wise, but should fish alright.

Al514February 25th, 2014, 4:30 pm
Central New York

Looks good.

How long is that fly? Any weight to it? What hook is this tied on?

One thing I started to use recently with my bigger flies is Gel Spun Thread. Holy sh*t what a difference! You can really crank on it and secure just about anything to the hook shank.
Kschaefer3February 25th, 2014, 5:17 pm
St. Paul, MN

Thanks!

Not sure the exact length. I just looked at a pic I have with this fly in my hand. Probably 10-12" including the feathers. No weight to it, I only fish intermediate and sinking lines for musky, so most my flies don't have any weight. This is tied on a VMC 4/0 Trailer hook. They are much cheaper than most big fly tying hooks. I think the next one I tie will be on a Daiichi 6/0 so I have room for a spun hair head too.

I really tied this fly because someone was asking me questions on how to reverse tie hair. I took some step by step pictures to show them. I think it's easier to see and understand than hear and understand when it comes to tying.

I have never used gel spun actually. I probably should for spinning hair heads on trout flies. I can manage with my 140, but it's more difficult than it needs to be sometimes. On musky flies the only thread I have used in 210 flymasters plus. I feel like I could hang from my bobbin and not break it. That is obviously not true, but that stuff is strong! I'll have to take a look at the gel spun though. Have you ever had issue with the gsp slipping?
Al514February 25th, 2014, 8:29 pm
Central New York

The GSP will slip. However, I find that when it starts to slip, it is the threads way of telling me I am using too many wraps. So, I just back off a few and boom - no slips. I even used it to repair a guide foot that slipped out of the epoxy on one of my rods.

I was right there with you on the 210 - loved it and thought nothing was stronger until the GSP. I haven't ordered some in a while, but I don't remember it being expensive.
Jmd123February 25th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Oscoda, MI

Wow Kyle, that's a beautiful fly you tied there. Is that Spey hackle or bucktail you have wrapped so nicely around the hook?

Dreaming of spring there, I see... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CrepuscularFebruary 26th, 2014, 8:21 am
Boiling Springs, PA

This is tied on a VMC 4/0 Trailer hook. They are much cheaper than most big fly tying hooks. I think the next one I tie will be on a Daiichi 6/0 so I have room for a spun hair head too.

Kyle, have you ever used the Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H? Its a nice hook for big flies.

Kschaefer3February 26th, 2014, 10:20 am
St. Paul, MN

Al514 - I'll check out some GSP. What weight do you use? I know it's way stronger, so you can get away with thinner thread.

Jonathon - Thank you. Pretty much the whole fly is reverse tied bucktail. The red on the front is just a couple turns of red marabou to give it better motion on the pause. Even though musky fishing can be great in the spring, I tend to not leave the trout stream until it gets really warm in July.

Eric - I have not used those. I will check the local shop and see if they have them next time I'm there. I do love Gamakatsu hooks!
CrepuscularFebruary 26th, 2014, 10:55 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric - I have not used those. I will check the local shop and see if they have them next time I'm there. I do love Gamakatsu hooks!

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/ is a good place to get them. good one stop shop for synthetics too if you are looking for them. Chris Windram is a super nice guy and had built a good business over the years. I tie all my saltwater stuff with monofilament thread. I like the way the color of the materials shows through the thread wraps.
PaulRobertsFebruary 26th, 2014, 6:19 pm
Colorado

Very nice! That should pull a good wake.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.