Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Limnephilidae?

Jbrw has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
JbrwJune 26th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Posts: 5This poor image of an adult caddis was taken streamside on my pack in the Big Horn Mountains, WY at about 9,500 ft.. As the picture shows, the wings did not appear to have any spots and were tan. I am uncertain what genus exist in the area. I have observed but have not photographed the abundant encased larva there and will try to do better on my next trip, which is coming up soon. Most of the cases appear to be formed of rock and metal.
TaxonJune 26th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jbrw-

Although the photo is not clear (or close) enough for me to see any detail, particularly the length of antennae, based on the wing shape and color, my guess would be Oecetis (Tan-Winged Long-Horn Sedge). You have (4) Oecetis species in Wyoming, Oecetis avara, O. disjuncta, O. inconspicua, and O. ochracea.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
JbrwJune 27th, 2007, 6:15 am
Posts: 5Interesting. Your website is very helpful on follow-up, as there are no pictures of Oecetis that I can find on this site. How do you measure size? Based upon the thread count on the pack, I would estimate the size from head to wing tip at 11 mm, but I suppose you could measure the legs splayed out as they do and the antennae. I also wonder about the possibility of Lepidostomatidae from the desription on your site. The wings, while plain, display a distinctive, light brown ridge on the upper 2/3 that fans out onto the tip with the remainder of the wing showing more of a tan.

TaxonJune 27th, 2007, 7:54 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jbrw-

Interesting you should ask. A year ago this month, I posed the very same question to Dr. Richard Baumann:

Dear Dr. Baumann-

In his book, Caddisflies, Gary LaFontaine listed your name on his acknowledgments page as being one who assisted him by sending scientific papers, providing insect specimens, or identifying his collections. As such, I am hoping you can answer a question for me.

For each genus covered in his book, Gary listed adult length as (up to x mm.), but as far as I can determine, he never specified whether this was only the body length, or also included the distance the wings extended beyond the end of the abdomen. As you realize, it makes a considerable difference, as the wings of caddisflies extend beyond the end of the abdomen (perhaps) another 40-100% of the body length. This is of critical importance to me, as I intend to use that measure as a component of Adult Caddisfly Identification, which would be similar to my Adult Mayfly Identification for flyfishers.

In any event, do you know which measurement Gary used? If not, those listed were Chuck Hawkins, Steve Johnson, Don Alstad, Tim Hansen, Drs. R. L. Blickle, Stamford Smith, William Hilsenhoff, Donald Denning, A. Sheldon, Oliver Flint, George Edmunds, Glenn B. Wiggins, Richard Baumann, George Roemhild, Merlyn Brusven, Robert Newell, Vincent Resh, Russ Biggam, and J. V. Ward. If you think one of the others would know, and happen to have their email address, that would be most helpful, as well.

And, Dr. Baumann replies as follows:

Roger,

I am quite sure that Gary measured from the top (tip?) of the head to the end of the wings, except when the adults were brachypterous and then the tip of the abdomen would be to terminal end.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
JbrwJune 29th, 2007, 10:42 am
Posts: 5Taxon, assuming we are looking at Oecetis, what colors would the larva and pupa be. I'm getting crass here, I know, as I am trying to figure out what colors to use in emerger and nymph patterns for my trip. My "caddis green" offerings last summer weren't too successful, so I am leaning toward tan body and black or brown head.

What the answer be different if we are looking at Lepidostomatidae?
TaxonJune 29th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jbrw-

Assuming Oecetis, in addition to the green you apparently already have, I would suggest yellow or olive.

Only one genus of family Lepidostomatidae resides in Wyoming, Lepidostoma, of which you have (8) species. The 11 mm length of your specimen is slightly beyond the 10 mm maximum length of adult Lepidostoma listed by Gary LaFontaine in Caddisflies. However, as to body color, pale yellow or pale tan to brown would likely be appropriate.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.