Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > female Maccaffertium mediopunctatum / nepotellum

Brookyman has attached these 12 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.6X larger)
BrookymanDecember 8th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Banned
OK starting to look at some of my hatches from my tank this spring. She hatched in a photo session of a mix of species.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Feathers5December 9th, 2013, 9:33 am
Posts: 287Okay, what is it, a March Brown? How long is it? Can't get a perspective.
BrookymanDecember 9th, 2013, 7:54 pm
Banned
Hi Bruce

She is a [ Light Cahill ] Maccaffertium mediopunctatum / nepotellum.
she is 9mm in length.

I will load some other photos of her. This one I killed immediately to keep her in the dun state with the nymphal shuck to obtain positive association. I hatched about 30 females and 20 males of this specie so the adult photos I load will be from another sample to provide other angles for you to see.

At the moment I cant find my mini hard drive with all my photos so I only have a few adult pictures I can load so limited views.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Feathers5December 10th, 2013, 9:21 am
Posts: 287Am I correct in stating that March Brown nymphs and Cahills look pretty similar?

Great photos! You and Eric do a great job.
EntomanDecember 10th, 2013, 8:04 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Yep, though I'd take it a little further Bruce and say they are virtually identical. In terms of size & color, you'll usually find bigger differences in their appearance taking samples of the same species from different water as you will between the species themselves. The only reason to want to know the difference (from an angling perspective) is so that you can know something about their life histories and population densities, i.e. when to fish which fly.;). The adults look quite different, hatch at different times of the year and individual species while present may or may not produce fishable hatches.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123December 10th, 2013, 10:23 pm
Oscoda, MI

WOW, Mack, I just took a close look at the photos and you sure got some nice ones. What a beautiful insect!

BTW you have been absent for a little while...more adventures to share? Welcome back.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BrookymanDecember 11th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Banned
Hi Jonathon

I have been sewing like a mad man. Yup that's right sewing... I have been unhappy with never being able to always be able to find all my gear when we are living in the bush. So since my son and I will be doing even more next summer I decided to make my own tactical and hiking gear. Yes all matching Camo. It is amazing what goes into what we wear and we most often we never consider the work involved. I have made a tactical vest that all my stuff clips to including making my own backpacks. My new stuff does incorporate fly fishing. I will take some photos of the stuff and load them for conversation sake. Not to much on stories this year. Next year will be the big one I am planning a historically important collection of a mayfly in Quebec next June.

We will be on site living on the stream for about two weeks so my gear has to be organized to a "T" if you know what I mean. I won't name the mayfly cause this is a covert op. LOL!!!. And the surprise of finding this one if all goes well is for a friend and to the memories of a very important Canadian Taxonomist.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.