Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Important News on the Au Sable Michigan, Page 2

GldstrmSamJanuary 1st, 2014, 5:29 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Well I didn't write in because I just saw this now, but it looks like you all did your job well.
It is this kind of thing that really throws me through the loop because as much as I absolutely love nature, there is a certain amount of consideration that needs to go into a failing economy.(Ok, lets not get to political here) Anyway, it seems like that company could find a better place to do it...! As an Alaskan whose economy is strongly supported by mining and drilling you can see how this kind of thing can be an issue for me.
Anyway it is great to see that we still have a voice to stop damaging things like this!
It really annoys me to see beautiful waterways potentially damaged by things like that. That said, it is amazing how good some of these companies are at reclamation. Of course I don't know as much about natural gas fracking because there is less of that and more mining up here. It does seem though that that is more damaging due to the underground damage done.
Thank you all for standing up for another beautiful river-way. They are becoming rarer and rarer.

That all said, I very much pro-mining, pro-pipeline, and pro-drilling. Just do it safely, smartly, with the generations after us in mind. The resources are here to be used; Let us not be so overboard that we "redtape" everything, but let us be conscientious of the natural beauty that surrounds us.

Ok, I'll shut up. I hope I did not go to overboard:) For all of you who fish it, enjoy the preserved beauty of the Au Sable for me. Maybe someday if I am so lucky I will be able to throw a fly or two there also.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
StrmanglrJanuary 10th, 2014, 12:13 pm
That is outstanding news. Came back to the site just to see how that came out.

Chasing the almighty dollar? Think about how much revenue that river generates, it is staggering, we're talking millions. I saw a survey of money spent by anglers on the Rogue R. and it was in the millions. The Au Sable pulls way more anglers. I go up and fish it in mid June and I see license plates from all over the country.

OldredbarnJanuary 10th, 2014, 3:41 pm
Novi, MI

The Au Sable pulls way more anglers. I go up and fish it in mid June and I see license plates from all over the country.

Yeah! I think I talk too much! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
LLohrerMarch 17th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Michigan

Did the anyone see the article on December 22 in the Detroit Free Press?
Lydia Lohrer (writer) gives a "Super Santa" to Keith Creagh for ensuring the land would be exempt from surface development. In the same article she gave a "Super Scrooge" to the dunderheads that allowed the leasing of the land.
If I am not mistaken Keith Creagh is one in the same. This shows how out of touch and politically biased the writers from the Free Press really are.

Re: Out of touch writers/leasing land on the Au Sable for nefarious purposes.

I was amused to discover this post by the anonymous Icaught3fish.

1. Perhaps the poster doesn't have a sense of irony. Maybe he simply lacks the nuance to understand what happened there when I made those awards. In case others also missed this, it was most certainly intentional, and to some, amusing.

2. It also wasn't intended to be a dig limited to KC, as he isn't the only one who has input into this issue. The Santa award for doing the right thing, the Scrooge for, "What the bl@@p kind of idiot leases the holy waters for this?" There is no conflict here.

3. I spent all night digging up the details regarding this situation the moment the awful news came in. I couldn't sleep a wink. The next day, I placed many calls...and noted the possibility that if this plan to violate was executed it could mean relentless negative publicity for the perpetrator.

Thank goodness the good guys won this round. It is beyond me what they were thinking when the original lease was approved.

Know your enemies, Icaught3fish. I am not among them. My children clean up the river every year. Used to be twice a year. Years ago I was proposed to and wed upon the Mason tract. Good luck finding a writer in top circulation national newspaper that cares more than I do about this special place.

Cheers!
L
PaulRobertsMarch 17th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Colorado

...This shows how out of touch and politically biased the writers from the Free Press really are.

Icaught3fis, You missed the irony. Missed the nuance. Took a potshot at an ally. Who's out of touch and politically biased here?
OldredbarnMarch 18th, 2014, 12:01 am
Novi, MI

Lydia,

Thanks! Wed in the Tract! You lucky girl...I only get to fish there. :(

Just an FYI...I drove truck at the Freep back in the late 70's-80's while I worked my way through Wayne State... :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanMarch 18th, 2014, 8:52 am
Northern CA & ID

There's another irony here. A journalist responding to something written about them based on misunderstanding, falsehood and agenda driven bias? Hmmm...;)

Anyway, thanks for correcting the record, Lydia.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnApril 17th, 2014, 5:23 pm
Novi, MI

This is an updated report on some of the drilling issues from up around Grayling MI...The first part is about a movie that was made about the river and will be shown in Grayling on opening day weekend (April 26th)

The issue we have here in Michigan, that is different than in some other states is we don't charge for water...In some states drillers have to truck in water and here they just tap into the aquafer...The amounts of water drained using this process is incredible and we have little info on its actual effect on river levels etc.

Spence

Dear Anglers of the Au Sable members,

Tickets for the world premiere of Robert Thompson’s Au Sable movie are on sale now at Gates Lodge and Old Au Sable Fly Shop. As Anglers member Skip Dewall says, the movie is “epic.” Doors open at the Rialto in downtown Grayling at 7 p.m. on the evening of Trout Opener, April 26. We’ll have river-worthy refreshments and we’ve assembled a whole bunch of fishing items for a raffle that will begin about 7:30. The movie showing begins at 8 p.m. “The River” is on the big screen for one night only. Get your tickets! Proceeds from the Rialto show will benefit Anglers of the Au Sable. And you still have a few days to buy the DVD and help Anglers of the Au Sable at the same time. A significant portion of pre-Opener movie sales are donated directly to Anglers for river conservation work.

BUY THE RIVER NOW IN THE GATES LODGE ONLINE STORE:
http://www.gatesflyshop.com/The-River-_p_555.html

For the dozens of you who’ve already ordered, the movies were shipped this week and you’ll have them in hand by this weekend at the latest!

Finally, we have great news to share on another significant conservation victory for Anglers and its membership… For the past three years we rallied forces to watchdog Canadian energy company Encana as it built a considerable fracking footprint in River Country. Massive drilling rigs and huge groundwater withdrawals drew our attention and we’ve worked in many ways to ask the DNR and DEQ to tighten fracking regulations to protect the rivers. That work included successful efforts last fall to prevent Encana from fracking directly in the Holy Waters corridor.

Today we’re thrilled to announce the DNR has responded in a big way.
Several weeks ago, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette announced criminal indictments against Encana and another fracking company, Chesapeake, for alleged big rigging oil and gas leases on Michigan’s public lands. Anglers and the Michigan League of Conservation Voters immediately requested that the DNR cease all Encana lease and fracking activity pending the criminal charges.

In an April 8 letter to Encana and Chesapeake, DNR Director Keith Creagh did just that.

Pending all criminal and civil liability due to the criminal charges, the DNR:
1) Will not execute any pending oil and gas lease with Encana or Chesapeake.
2) Will not accept further oil and gas lease bids from Encana or Chesapeake.
3) Will not approve assignments of oil and gas leases to or from Encana or Chesapeake.
4) Will not enter into any other discretionary transactions of any kind with Encana or Chesapeake.

Major groundwater loss from fracking remains a long-term concern. Anglers is committed to ongoing water monitoring and other watchdog efforts to assure the trout rivers are protected. Other players will surely step in if and when global natural gas prices rise. But the biggest fracking player in Michigan is out of the game – at least for now.

Thanks to all Anglers members who continue to donate time, letters and their hard-earned dollars on behalf of the river we all love.

See you for Opener!

J Bebow 2nd VP "Anglers of the Au Sable"

PaulRobertsApril 20th, 2014, 9:13 pm
Colorado

Awesome. And wow. Cheater's too.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.