Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The Best of "Mr. Soft Hackle" Mark Libertone

EntomanSeptember 20th, 2013, 3:12 am
Northern CA & ID

Fellow Troutnut board posters -

Perhaps a good way to honor the passing of our good friend is to search for quotes and links to Mark's many contributions on the forum over the years. He had much to share about tackle, tying technique and angling methods and did so unselfish of his time. He always presented in a gentlemanly manner without a hint of superiority or condescension. There's a wealth of treasure there...

Here's one of my favorites:

Well, I use a dubbing brush fabricated as Leisenring did. These are very effective for strong, well-tied bodies. Occasionally, I dub to the tying thread, but for wet flies & flymphs, the Leisenring method works best for me. While many feel a dubbing loop technique is the same, it's not, really. I believe the result of the Leisenring dubbing brush is rough, buggy, and more effective. I also find it easier to control the distribution of the dubbing along the tying thread better using this method.

The dubbing "brush" is the result of the Leisenring method of dubbing. The brush is made off the fly and tied two the fly. Leisenring did the process of creating the "brush" on his pant-leg. Here is a link to the process:

http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/Leisenring

Later, a dubbing block was created by one of Leisenring's students, Dick Clark. I'll see if I can locate a photo. There is a photo and explanation for use in Dave Hughes' book WET FLIES.

Again, I find the results are very good with this method and there is more control over the process. Another advantage is you can make the dubbing brushes up ahead of time, to be used, later.

Please contribute your own favorites. And don't be reluctant if you feel you didn't know him well. What's important is if he touched your life and angling with something that taught you or made you think. Inclusion of some of his best fly photos and artwork would be appreciated by all.

We miss you, Mark.

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuSeptember 20th, 2013, 10:28 am
Posts: 560I didn't know Mark at all, but make the connection with Mark enjoyably so visualizing the smile on his face swinging those classics of his just like I enjoy swinging my soft hackles. And reflecting on having your feet firmly on the ground, and in touch with Nature. Wading a riffle, and swinging soft hackles is a bit of Nervona (sp?) (couldn't even look it up) And I can visualize MarK with the degree of proficiency that he can cast, mend, swing the fly, and then tucking the rod under his arm, and viewing his surroundings while anticipating the tug. Thanks for the vivid memories Mark.
CaseyPSeptember 20th, 2013, 2:08 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Mark walked me through tying North-Country style flies before my first trip to England to fish in 2007. PMs describing methods, sharing sources, and generally encouraging my efforts always ended like this:

I'm so glad I've been able to help you. It's truly my pleasure to help others enjoy these flies.

While the dour Yorkshire guide wasn't too impressed with my offerings, I've used the patterns faithfully ever since. Thank you again, Mark!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TroutnutSeptember 20th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I was upset to see that his website troutnut.com/libstudio is no longer running (and gone with it are all the good pictures he posted in this forum). However, he uploaded a couple pieces of his artwork to troutnut.com, where they'll remain:

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123September 20th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

Wow, lovely. Thanks Jason.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AdirmanSeptember 20th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Monticello, NY

Beautiful work. Would love to see more if possible!
EntomanSeptember 24th, 2013, 4:18 am
Northern CA & ID

I was upset to see that his website troutnut.com/libstudio is no longer running (and gone with it are all the good pictures he posted in this forum).

Yeah, bummer... I didn't notice until after the topic was posted. At least you salvaged a few. Thanks, Jason.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanOctober 3rd, 2013, 3:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

Here's a link to a topic full of Mark's flies: http://www.troutnut.com/topic/8275/Mark-Libertone-Flies#38527
Thanks, Spence!
MlibertoneOctober 4th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Wellsville NY

I just happened to google my dad and came across this post. I feel so blessed to find it and know that my family and I aren't the only one who miss and love my dad. Thank you all so much for your ongoing friendship with my dad. Thank you for still thinking about him and celebrating him and all he did. Dad was a natural born teacher and I think it's amazing that he continued to teach people through out his live. He was a very kind, generous and giving man. He was truly special and is missed dearly on a daily basis, maybe even a minute by minute basis.
Again thank you all so much!
Michelle (Mark's Daughter, the one he lived with)

I also wanted to share his Facebook page bc there is more of his art work there for anyone who is interested.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mark-Libertone-Studio/110651772320388?ref=ts&fref=ts
MartinlfOctober 5th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Palmyra PA

Thank you Michelle, for sharing your stories about your dad. He was a special friend to many of us. I sent you a little note, which you can access by clicking "my home" at the top right of the Troutnut page.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TroutnutOctober 7th, 2013, 2:04 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

With Michelle's help, I have Mark's websites back online permanently at a new address in a subdirectory of troutnut.com.

Flymphs, Soft-Hackles, and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/
His personal (artwork) website: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/Personal/
Gennessee Fly Angler: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/GenesseeFlyAngler/
Fine art: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FineArt/

(For now you have to copy and paste the addresses because of a bug in my forum code; I'll try to fix that sometime soon so they're clickable links.)

I've also fixed all the links and images he posted on this site in the past, pointing them to the new addresses.

I'm going to do a little bit more polishing (fixing broken links and adding a front page "index" to his online works) but fortunately he left everything in very good shape on his computer, and Michelle was able to recover it all.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MlibertoneOctober 7th, 2013, 10:41 am
Wellsville NY

Yay! That's awesome Jason! So glad I could help to get his stuff back out there! I hope it can be accessed by non users too so others can still get to it too. Thank you so much for making it happen. I truly appreciate it!
CaseyPOctober 7th, 2013, 11:04 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Michelle, thank you so much for Googling your father and finding all of us. Talk about serendipity!

My cousin in the church world firmly maintains that Heaven is being remembered with love and respect after you're gone; your dad is well on his way to Paradise thanks to the internet, your generosity, and Jason's cleverness. And are we ever tickled to have all this access restored!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
OldredbarnOctober 7th, 2013, 11:05 am
Novi, MI

Way to go!!! Nice work you two.

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutOctober 7th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I hope it can be accessed by non users too so others can still get to it too.

Yes, it can be accessed by anyone who finds the link. Once I finish the small adjustments, I'll publicize it more from the front page too, and maybe from some other sites.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MlibertoneOctober 7th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Wellsville NY

It is pretty neat the way timing worked out and dad probably had a hand in bringing me here. That's a nice thought!
Thank you for continuing to work on it Jason! I am so happy about this! I'll check back in later and check out the changes. :)
OldredbarnOctober 7th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Novi, MI

Jason...Now that the original site is back up do you want me to pull the copies down?

It is so nice, sir, seeing them again, as they should be seen!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutOctober 7th, 2013, 8:02 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

No harm in keeping the copies up, Spence.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MartinlfApril 10th, 2015, 9:15 am
Palmyra PA

Thought some newcomers might want to see this thread.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TKBApril 10th, 2015, 10:42 am
Pennsylvania

Thanks. I have been on a soft hackle/wet tying jag as of late and have been looking for patterns like these.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.