Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The loveliness of a small northern lower Michigan trout stream in August

Jmd123 has attached these 13 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Beautiful wild fish, missed at least three strikes by this one the previous trip here, got it on the first cast with a #10 modified Joe's Hopper - and fought way hard for it's size!
Beautiful wild fish, missed at least three strikes by this one the previous trip here, got it on the first cast with a #10 modified Joe's Hopper - and fought way hard for it's size!
Joe-Pye-weed, boneset, and goldenrod
Joe-Pye-weed, boneset, and goldenrod
Virgin's Bower is in full bloom right now (another shot for Spence & his better half!)  ;oD
Virgin's Bower is in full bloom right now (another shot for Spence & his better half!) ;oD
Virgin's-Bower covering a tree branch overhanging trout water
Virgin's-Bower covering a tree branch overhanging trout water
The "Five-Hole" (hockey pun intended...) - first time I fished this pool, I caught five trout!  Brookies, browns, and rainbows have all hit my dry flies in this nice little spot.
The "Five-Hole" (hockey pun intended...) - first time I fished this pool, I caught five trout! Brookies, browns, and rainbows have all hit my dry flies in this nice little spot.
Bedstraw (Galium species) on riverbank
Bedstraw (Galium species) on riverbank
Glowing in the sunset...
Glowing in the sunset...
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Spotted jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)
Spotted jewelweed (Impatiens capensis)
Field mint (Mentha arvensis) - this plant makes the best mint tea in the known Universe!  Pick fresh leaves, steep in boiled water for 5-10 minutes, add sugar as desired, and enjoy!
Field mint (Mentha arvensis) - this plant makes the best mint tea in the known Universe! Pick fresh leaves, steep in boiled water for 5-10 minutes, add sugar as desired, and enjoy!
The first "Rearing Pond" - an obviously artificially deep hole that was supposedly dug out for rearing trout - the rest of the stream is ankle-to-knee deep with occasional areas that get waist to maybe chest deep...but this goes over my head, I know because I took a swim!!!
The first "Rearing Pond" - an obviously artificially deep hole that was supposedly dug out for rearing trout - the rest of the stream is ankle-to-knee deep with occasional areas that get waist to maybe chest deep...but this goes over my head, I know because I took a swim!!!
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) - for Paul!  ;oD
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) - for Paul! ;oD
One more shot of that little wild rainbow...
One more shot of that little wild rainbow...
Jmd123August 29th, 2013, 2:18 am
Oscoda, MI

Just had to post a few more pics of the Pine, this time from both the Buhl Dam section and the Rearing Pond Road area. Even though the fish have been running small, the scenery has been just spectacular as of late with the mass blooming of wetland wildflowers along the banks. Threw in a couple of pics of a wild little (9") rainbow too just to show you what the fish look like, though a photo never does a fish justice, especially in the glowing light of the sunset. Enjoy!

Jonathon

P.S. Fish were hitting that modified #10 Joe's Hopper like mad until sundown...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfSeptember 1st, 2013, 2:32 am
Palmyra PA

Beautiful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsSeptember 1st, 2013, 8:04 pm
Colorado

Nice, Jonathan! Thanks for sharing those.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.