Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Homage to Louis: the Davy Knot revisited, Page 2

MiltRPowellMarch 15th, 2015, 9:23 pm
Posts: 106Flyflinger, Ya got me thinking when ya said, (fish my wets). So I went looking, found video on Davy knot.
I just got done tieing some 18's, I like the look once I got the tag at 90 degrees. Huh!!! I'll try the double, on 14, & 12 later. But I also fish alot wets & change up alot. This may prove ta be a new tool. I am not afraid ta try something new. But if it's jumping off a bridge with casting the rod, I'd pass.
But the knot,helped my cabin fever. I like, thanks guys.... It is strong & small, I like where tag ends. cut & done, yes sir....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Feathers5March 17th, 2015, 10:09 am
Posts: 287I find it especially handy with small dry flies. I haven't tried it with nymphs yet, but I think it will have to be the double version.
MartinlfMarch 17th, 2015, 5:38 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, double it, Bruce. I had a big fish break off at the knot in the J year before last. My last single Davy knot ever. The double is very strong, and almost as fast, as Kurt notes.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OvermywaderMarch 18th, 2015, 5:08 pm
Posts: 31Beyond breaking strength, there are other aspects of a knot to consider. The Davy is great on wet flies, but the Turle, which seats behind the eye, is easy to tie and has the advantage of keeping the tippet in a fixed position with the shank of the hook. I find that to be especially useful for small dry flies.

The Davy's Knot is actually a hitch. A simple inversion of the first pass of the Double Davy's gives you the Timber Hitch, which dates in literature to 1625 AD. see http://www.animatedknots.com/timber/

I have seen so many variants of the Double Davy, that it might be a category of hitches.
Regards,
Reed

Overmywaders
MartinlfMarch 18th, 2015, 5:15 pm
Palmyra PA

Reed, have you seen the George Harvey knot? Your post made me think of it. like the Turle, it seats behind the eye. I haven't tied one in many years, but you have me thinking about it again. From what I recall, it's pretty easy to tie and very strong.

--Fred Chappell
OvermywaderMarch 18th, 2015, 6:25 pm
I had never seen it until you mentioned it. See http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/harvey-dry-fly-knot

That would be too much for me. I need to stick to knots that my hands already know, otherwise my tremors make tying a fly on almost impossible. It must be a real hoot to watch me change flies. :) I've tried two different devices to make threading the tippet through the eye easier; neither worked.
Regards,
Reed

Overmywaders
FlyflingerMarch 20th, 2015, 9:08 am
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Flyflinger, Ya got me thinking when ya said, (fish my wets). So I went looking, found video on Davy knot... But the knot,helped my cabin fever. I like, thanks guys.... It is strong & small, I like where tag ends. cut & done, yes sir....

Yes, Milt. Isn't this a terribly interesting thread? I've been practicing the Double Davy and noted two things. It's a very small knot, which is ideal for small flies, esp. wets. It's easy to check whether the knot is tied correctly by seeing whether the tag end is directly against the hook eye and the tag is perpendicular to the knot, similar to the way one checks a properly tied perfection loop.

This thread gave me the impetus to re-visit the Double Davy Knot and the Turle Knot as well. The George Harvey Knot seems quite a bit more complicated than I would need to bother with, but perhaps I don't see the advantage of it compared to other knots. So, I await enlightenment.

Thank you, Louis. More reason to offer you a single malt or a lovely craft beer when hopefully I can get to PA this year.

MiltRPowellMarch 20th, 2015, 12:43 pm
Posts: 106Yes Flyflinger, it is a very interesting thread!
I also have been playing with this knot. I really like how it looks on my small wets. Strong too! Yes,you almost know if you got it right or not! But 9 out 10 times,
I'm right there with the knot. Perfection loop there I need work, at times they come out to big! (loop )
It's me, that I know. Gonna work on that. I also seen the Orvis knot, but haven't tryed it. I may if
cabin fever attacks again.!!!
Took 2ft. of old fly line to play with, like man did in the viewing at first. I think that helped me, but
a old shoe lace would have done the trick as well.
Milt....

flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
MartinlfMarch 20th, 2015, 1:10 pm
Palmyra PA

I believe the Turle Knot and the Harvey Knot are preferred by some especially for small mayfly dries that have split wings. It is my understanding that they keep the fly from getting cocked to the side. I haven't had that problem (that I know of) for several reasons. I often use parachutes or snowshoe flies for mayfly hatches, and they seem to land right most of the time whatever knot I use. Furthermore, if one of my cut wings tips over it would make for a good cripple. (Not that I've noticed them doing that, but my eyes are not as good as they used to me, so I may have just missed it.) One of my fishing pals ties and fishes split wing thorax patterns almost exclusively and very effectively. I may run this by him. We've never talked knots, but he has me fishing split wings more these days, and I'll start watching them more closely to see if it seems worth another knot.

--Fred Chappell
FlyflingerMarch 21st, 2015, 5:35 am
Fredericksburg, Virginia

...Perfection loop there I need work, at times they come out to big! (loop ) It's me, that I know. Gonna work on that.
Milt....

Milt, it's the second loop one forms between one's thumb and forefinger that determines the size of the finished knot. Just form the second loop to the size you want before you slip the tag end between the two loops and pull the second loop through the first loop, and draw it closed after wetting the knot. If the tag end is perpendicular to the knot, it is tied correctly. Try it.
MiltRPowellMarch 21st, 2015, 10:52 am
Posts: 106Yeah, I shall maybe tonight. Like I stated, I know it is me. I not taking my time & thinking what I am doing, doing. That can cost me a fish, if I say OK, That's good enough & it ain't. I like a nice small tear drop looking loop. Plus I have a new Ty-Rite tool for holding small flies while tieing on. My bud said, try useing that ta reach in for your loop. That sounds as if it shall help me. Thanks!! Flyflinger. I think I shall be getting it now,between you & my buds thought's on this knot,for a nutty fly guy.
Boy, I see your from Virigina. Man your most likely already fishing.
Hell I was watching it snow all day yesterday, nothing ta speak of, but snow just the same.
Well later, loop-101 class....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
MartinlfJanuary 29th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Palmyra PA

Bumping this one up.

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfNovember 13th, 2019, 7:37 am
Palmyra PA

Bumping this up. I'll always appreciate Kurt for testing these knots. I use the Double Davy most of the time now, and haven't tied a regular Davy in several years. See Kurt's analysis above.

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.