User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Upper Peninsula Brook Trout 2013

Report at a Glance

General RegionThe U.P.
Time of DayMid-day
Fish CaughtBrook Trout
Conditions & HatchesHot, 85 degrees, Light breeze, Mostly sunny, Stonefly hatches, Dobson Flies...

Details and Discussion

Pryal74July 10th, 2013, 5:09 pm
Escanaba, MI

I hope everyone is having a great season on the fly. I have been busy beyond belief, but manage to get out on a regular basis. I used to fish 250-300 days a year, but now it's down to under 200. I know, I know... poor, poor me! Haha! I wanted to share a video I took of 2 days of native Brook Trout fly fishing highlights and a picture of my largest Brook Trout of my life. This is a monster male almost 18 inches in length with some real girth. I made this video BEFORE I landed this guy, but there's amazing footage nonetheless. I hope you enjoy it and tight lines!

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
AdirmanJuly 11th, 2013, 6:51 am
Monticello, NY

Awesome as usual Pryal!! Beautiful fish!! I see you had your girl w/ you again! She's quite an accomplished caster looks like!!

Thanks for the vid!

Adirman
Pryal74July 13th, 2013, 11:40 pm
Escanaba, MI

Thanks Adirman. She loves to go with and is getting good at casting. I love to make videos and share them.
-James Pryal
Jmd123July 16th, 2013, 11:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

James, you (and your daughter) ROCK!!! I LOVE BROOKIES!!!

They are the ultimate trout (OK, even though they are a "char") - they have the most spectacular colors, and only inhabit the cleanest streams. And BTW, notice the color variations in this film from fish to fish.

I have the gift of two wonderful brookie waters in my neck of the woods - the Pine River and [REDACTED] Pond (yes, I know the "security designation" is annoying but those around here who wish this place to become a trophy brookie fishery are trying to hide it from the locals...). While recently on the latter, I saw a fish up in the feeder creek (they're all retreating there to beat the summer heat, that's where all the springs are and trust me, it's ICE COLD!) that I initially mistook for a small pike! Then I noticed how gaudily colored it was just before it took off...a 15-16-incher!

And it's hopper time too...yee-HAW!

Thanks again for the fabulous video James! And one of these days I'm gonna make it up there to see you...BTW, how are you DEER FLIES?? I got swarmed on the job in west Michigan this past week...UGH!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74July 18th, 2013, 1:05 pm
Escanaba, MI

Hey Jonathon,

If you find that big boy, make sure you get a picture him! I would love to see it. Yeah, Brook Trout are one of my top 3 species to catch. I watched a big brookie swallow a hopper I tossed into the river during the filming days of the video.

The deer flies were pretty awful up here this year, but they are tapering back a bit now. A little deet helps. You should come up, the summers here are awesome.

Thanks again man!
-James Pryal
Kschaefer3July 18th, 2013, 1:36 pm
St. Paul, MN

Awesome, Jim! Most people would kill for a brookie of that size. I love the water color up there! You are one lucky guy. How have the big browns been biting this year? Have your hatches started to come around now?
Jmd123July 18th, 2013, 10:53 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey James, tried the Pond again tonight, found some eager fish but nothing over 10"...when I get that big dude (or his brother or sister) you'll see it on here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74July 28th, 2013, 1:43 am
Escanaba, MI

hey Kyle. Browns have been good. It's been harder than normal for me because of the high water and many more clients this summer. I have had time to mash some slob brook trout though. I also really got into some great smallie action this opener and a few times this summer. What have you been up to? Details bro... details!

@JMD I hope you get that bad boy!!!! Oh and I'm posting ANOTHER video... this one shows footage of that hog and pics from a few more. Jonathon... seriously man, you should come up here in the Spring and let me put you on some serious steel.
-James Pryal
Jmd123July 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

James, I might have to take you up on that offer. I have an 8-weight! And I haven't used it enough...I enjoy using my 3-weight for trout, panfish, and bass so much that big rod feels like a telephone pole to me! I've tied pike flies for it and do have local pike waters too.

Lately I've been too freaking busy for anything! FINALLY finished a work project on the other side of the state, I have only two weeks of classes left to teach, and then it's time to do some serious catching up on fishing, man. All work and no fishing makes Jonathon a pretty darned cranky boy...

Jonathon

P.S. Looking forward to seeing Part 2!
Kschaefer3July 29th, 2013, 9:03 am
St. Paul, MN

I have an 8-weight! And I haven't used it enough...I enjoy using my 3-weight for trout, panfish, and bass so much that big rod feels like a telephone pole to me!
Let Jim put you on fish. Your 8 wt will not feel like a telephone pole when you have 15 lbs of angry chrome running the opposite direction.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.