Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hello All

JOHNWJune 13th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Well my first post was slightly prompted so I figured a formal "Hello" was in order.

I'm an eastern PA transplant to the Cumberland Valley who is more or less self taught with a few very benevolent tutors along the way. Some of you likely will recognize the name from other boards and I hope there is a fair reputation attached to my screen name.
I hope to be an asset to this board.
Tight Lines and bombproof flies,
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GONZOJune 13th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Welcome, John. Any friend of Louis is a friend of mine. (I think. No money changed hands on that nuclear spinner endorsement, did it?) Just kidding, but with all the various Johns posting here....OK, there was a streetwalker joke in there, but I'll spare you my idiotic sense of humor. (For now.)

Best,
Lloyd
TroutnutJune 13th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Welcome!

People named John have a very good track record here, although I may have to program in a menu option to keep track of which John is which. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
InvictaJune 13th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Tulare, CA

Hi John,

Its nice to have another new voice to hear from, if not confuse Jason's computer.

John
Shawnny3June 14th, 2007, 4:16 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

"I may have to program in a menu option..."

Perhaps in the "Common Names" section.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
WiflyfisherJune 14th, 2007, 7:29 am
Wisconsin

Hi John!

Maybe we could form a powerful fly fishing lobbyist group! Of course, we would let other true troutnuts join. :)

John S
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
JOHNWJune 14th, 2007, 2:56 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Gonzo,
No money changed hands however, Louis was however quite the fish pimp.
;) I'll take an idiotic sense of humor over some of the idiots i've encountered elsewhere as of late.

Caught you at the HBG FF Dinner in '06 and '05.

I guess to make things a little clearer I could change my common name to JW.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3June 16th, 2007, 5:50 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I believe my name is a translation of 'John' into Irish or something - does that qualify me for membership? To be counted among the Johns on this forum would be quite an honor.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADJune 16th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Alexandria Pa

Well here's another John.
Welcome to the forum John w I have been wanting to meet you. I have been following your posts on FFP I think you will fit right in here.

Gonzo I think we should be worrying about Louis. One time I called he had been painting and was replacing light switches and the next time he was talking about painting spinner posts, and fishing with John W . ( I think I could smell paint through the phone)

I just got back from a week on the J and it was fishing well,now it my turn to replace light switches and covers.

John Dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfJune 16th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Palmyra PA

Having been taught how to fish by my Uncle John, I'm pleased to have so many Johns on the board. My uncle was legendary in the family, and all my cousins knew his war cry of, "Hold her Newt, she's headed for the pea patch," which he'd let loose every time he hooked a big one. One day when he was catching and I wasn't I bleated, "Uncle John, what am I doing wrong?" He took a draw on his pipe, looked over at me, and said, "Boy, you ain't holdin' your mouth right." He was a grand teacher, and I look forward to learning more from the Johns on this board. By the way, I am glad to pimp fish whenever it's possible to get them to cooperate. Wish me luck with Shawn and his brother later in the month.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJune 17th, 2007, 9:30 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Gonzo I think we should be worrying about Louis.

John, paint fumes may well have had something to do with Louis's strange preoccupation with making things glow in the dark, but the effect should be temporary. Actually, I just spent two fine days fishing with the Prof, and he seemed relatively normal (for Louis). However, the residual effects on his brain cells may explain the extraordinary difficulty he had landing the many fish he hooked. ;)
MartinlfJune 17th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Palmyra PA

Gonzo, I don't think it was paint fumes, nor bad karma as I had jokingly suggested. I believe I simply was not holding my mouth right. Now, how do we explain all those misses on the beetle? :)

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJune 17th, 2007, 3:08 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Obviously, Louis, I was using that oversize beetle to pre-select only larger trout! (I was leaving the little guys for you, in the hope that they might be easier to land.) ;) Seriously, thanks so much for sharing some of your favorite spots and for making my reintroduction to my very first trout stream such a memorable experience.

PS--Wasn't the reaction of the trout in that big pool an amazing example of the "distraction factor" in action?

PPS--The smaller Drunella nymphs and the Serratella we seined should make for some good morning action. Give them a try.
MartinlfJune 18th, 2007, 7:28 am
Palmyra PA

OK, now that Gonzo has explained that his inability to hook fish on his beetle was intentional, I must admit that actually I was using a complex and difficult technique to achieve long line releases due to my great affection for the fish in that favorite limestone stream. I typically release fish in this stream this way, and only land a few to commune with the population just a bit. ;> And, Gonzo, it is I who should offer thanks to you for the countless lessons in presentation and tying. I'm looking for some white rod winding nylon today, and ordering a ceramic hook hone. :)

P.S. Any anticipated hatch dates for those Drunella?

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJune 18th, 2007, 8:01 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

If I had to speculate, probably in about a week. Checking for darkening wingpads would be the only way to time it more precisely. Keep in mind that the area we sampled is the coldest water on the stream, so the lower, warmer sections will probably see the hatch sooner. This second group of D. lata is usually #16-18, and somewhere between the middle to the end of June is when I typically find them hatching in the Poconos (on larger waters).

The little Serratella "scorpions" are probably already hatching. I'm pretty sure that was deficiens; they hatch into #20 duns with blackish wings/bodies and pale legs and tails. (They also usually have light rings at the abdominal segments.)

PS--Just to keep the record straight, Louis, my beetle performed its mission admirably. My "inability to hook fish" did not apply to any of the larger specimens, who found the hook with unerring precision. The little fellows were eager to eat it as well, but my beetle thwarted their most fervent attempts. Rather than dillydally with elaborate long-distance release techniques, I prefer selective hooking. ;)
JADJune 18th, 2007, 10:50 am
Alexandria Pa

It's a good Jason doesn't have a truth clause on this forum-------you would both be in do do

John Dunn speaker of the truth.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
TroutnutJune 18th, 2007, 11:19 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It's a good Jason doesn't have a truth clause on this forum-------you would both be in do do

Good point! For now, as long as they don't tell their tall tales in haiku, they're ok.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZOJune 18th, 2007, 11:29 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

John and Jason,

You guys seem to be suggesting that there is something disingenuous about the repartee between me and Louis. I don't know what could have given you that impression. He is clearly a master of the long-distance release technique, and the proof of my selective hooking tactic was in the catching. ;)
JADJune 18th, 2007, 12:57 pm
Alexandria Pa

Ok Ok this is getting over my head----I have to look up what my friends are writing .

don't tell their tall tales in haiku,

disingenuous about the repartee

If this keeps up I will have to take some of Louis classes.

(Hold her Newt, she's headed for the pea patch)

John ?????????????????

GONZOJune 18th, 2007, 1:32 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Sorry, John! But at least the only Latin I generally use is in scientific binomials. (Unlike some I could mention....) ;)
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.