Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hello All, Page 2

MartinlfJune 18th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Palmyra PA

Since Gonzo has claimed repeatedly that the reason he wasn't hooking some of the fish that hit his beetle was that he had intentionally chosen a large beetle to leave smaller fish chomping on air, I can only offer the observation that, "Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much." And yet I'll credit his claim with the following Troutnut-friendly limerick--no haikus--for John's (alias Caddisman's) benefit:

There once was an angler named Lloyd
Whose beetle the fishes annoyed
The smaller Von-trout
Were put in a pout
To find their meal turning to void.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNWJune 18th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Well now this has sunken to an entirely new low. Fortunatly for you all I would not know a limeric from a sonnet and the lat time someone mentioned iambic pentameter I thought it was a new olympic sport.

Gonzo,
I too have witnessed the good doctor's patented "Sprotsmen Release" and he is quite proficient with it.
JAD,
Thanks for the kind words unfortunatly I believe I have found my kryptonite in some folks in those parts. Any time you would like to get together and fish drop me a line. Although I will be unavailable for a few weeks as child #2 is scheduled to arrive on the 28th of this month.

I suppose I should make that offer a little more general. The only drawback to going to one of "my" streams is I rarely fish when introducing somone to a stream. Just ask Louis.
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GONZOJuly 1st, 2007, 8:54 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Good one, Louis! :) Of course, you know that I can't ignore the limerick gauntlet you've thrown down, so I humbly submit this:

I once fished a stream with the Prof,
and most of his hook-ups got off.
Though he only caught one,
It was still lots of fun
To hear his excuses and scoff.

PS--Sorry for the "Prof" substitution, but the only rhyme I could think of for Louis was "screw us." Come to think of it, that's pretty much what the fish did for much of that day. ;)

PPS--If we're not careful, Jason will ban limericks as well as haiku.

PPPS--John (W), congrats on sub-unit #2! At least someone around here is doing something more significant than composing limericks! :)
MartinlfJuly 2nd, 2007, 5:10 am
Palmyra PA

Hey, I thought the fishing was what was fun! At least for those who were able to actually land fish. Well I suppose I've dug my own hole and will have to take what cover I can there. I just hope no one starts to pile any more dirt on me. Don't worry about the limericks, though; Jason's too busy catching grayling to pay us much mind these days.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3July 2nd, 2007, 5:26 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I'm grateful Louis hasn't posted publicly about my performance on our first fishing trip. He was putting on a dry-fly clinic while I was busy showing off my water-flogging and long-release skills. My brother was with us, too, and in the car afterwards we decided that I had more verified strikes than he did, and he landed nine and I landed one. In 9 hours of fishing the Little J. Perhaps this outing was my penance for my comments on "strike and release" in that other thread. Rather than admit the obvious, though, I chose to make a vow to abstain henceforth from all Mustad hooks in small sizes.

I probably could have redeemed myself with Louis had I at least joined him at dusk on a hike up through the Donny B. stretch, but I wussed out on that, too.

See, Gonzo, what you have to look forward to next week?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADJuly 2nd, 2007, 7:37 am
Alexandria Pa

"Uncle John, what am I doing wrong?" He took a draw on his pipe, looked over at me, and said, "Boy, you ain't holdin' your mouth right."

Shawnny3 ever think of that.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
SofthackleJuly 2nd, 2007, 9:30 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi John,
Looks as if you are already getting use to this place and the great people that frequent this board. It's one of the best FF boards around thanks to Jason and the others that make it so.Glad to have you here.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GONZOJuly 2nd, 2007, 10:53 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

See, Gonzo, what you have to look forward to next week?

But I am looking forward to it, Shawn. And lest anyone get the wrong impression, I am far too fallible a fisherman to be seriously critical of anyone else's fishing foibles, least of all anglers as unpretentious as you and Louis. The Prof and I tease each other because we enjoy it, but just to set the record straight (and I say this knowing that Louis is headed to the Delaware to receive his annual comeuppance), Long-Distance-Release Lou is a fine fisherman. (With any luck, this thread will be buried by the time he returns.) ;)
JOHNWJuly 2nd, 2007, 1:57 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Gonzo,
Thanks!
Sub-unit #2 and "the warden" are doing well unfortunatly those 0100 and 0400 feedings make it very tough to be on the water early or late.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfJuly 5th, 2007, 10:01 am
Palmyra PA

Ah, buried, but not so deep that I couldn't dig the thread up. Thanks Shawn, for complimenting my luck on the J. If you only had seen my dry fly performance on the West Branch it wouldn't have looked nearly so impressive. My only solace is that I was doing about as well as the ten other guys lined up in the long deep hole above Stilesville. Still, I had both a good trip and my comeuppance on the Delaware. I've posted a report.

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJuly 5th, 2007, 10:28 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Drat! Oh well, I guess it's too late to retract the compliment now. Anyway, Louis, between your uncanny knack for releasing fish at a distance and your suspect knot-tying skills, I should have plenty of opportunities to tease you in the future. And I am looking forward to that. ;)

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.