Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Au Sable River Fishing Report: Combined , Page 2

Oldredbarn has attached these 18 pictures. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
This guy must of been on my hat when I came in the first night up. He was spinning under the light over the table.
This guy must of been on my hat when I came in the first night up. He was spinning under the light over the table.
Shown Full Size
George tying on another somewhere on the Holy Water. I made him hike a mile to get to this "secret spot", threatened to have to poke out his eyes because it was such a secret, only to see us catch nothing of size there. :) I guess I'm safe. ;)
George tying on another somewhere on the Holy Water. I made him hike a mile to get to this "secret spot", threatened to have to poke out his eyes because it was such a secret, only to see us catch nothing of size there. :) I guess I'm safe. ;)
Shown Full Size
Spencer's favorite blossom the Marsh Marigold.
Spencer's favorite blossom the Marsh Marigold.
Shown Full Size
A "stick-boat" or Au Sable River boat...The father and son team have been up the same week as me for some years now.
A "stick-boat" or Au Sable River boat...The father and son team have been up the same week as me for some years now.
Shown Full Size
Hmmm...Time to tie on a sulpher!
Hmmm...Time to tie on a sulpher!
Shown Full Size
Hmmm....Again! :)
Hmmm....Again! :)
Shown Full Size
Small Mainstream Brown caught in a run where Ernie used to fish.
Small Mainstream Brown caught in a run where Ernie used to fish.
Shown Full Size
Mainstream Au Sable...The Holy Water.
Mainstream Au Sable...The Holy Water.
Shown Full Size
Hmmm...a third time!
Hmmm...a third time!
Shown Full Size
Don't stare too long at this one...I'll have to poke your eyes out as well!
Don't stare too long at this one...I'll have to poke your eyes out as well!
Shown Full Size
End of part one. The upper North Branch of the Au Sable. This stretch looks like the UP. This is below the Lodge where Henry Ford and Edison used to stay. During the logging days this was a lake behind a dam that would freeze over in winter when they stacked the logs on the ice. Then they would blow up the dam in spring driving the logs downstream to market.
End of part one. The upper North Branch of the Au Sable. This stretch looks like the UP. This is below the Lodge where Henry Ford and Edison used to stay. During the logging days this was a lake behind a dam that would freeze over in winter when they stacked the logs on the ice. Then they would blow up the dam in spring driving the logs downstream to market.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
A nice North Branch Brook Trout...If I weren't a vegetarian we would of had some pan fryers...This boy is still swimning around up there somewhere.
A nice North Branch Brook Trout...If I weren't a vegetarian we would of had some pan fryers...This boy is still swimning around up there somewhere.
Upper Manistee
Upper Manistee
A friend landing a 16"er. At "Spencer's Stoop".
A friend landing a 16"er. At "Spencer's Stoop".
My friend George and his dry-fly 14"er.
My friend George and his dry-fly 14"er.
North Branch Au Sable
North Branch Au Sable
Upper Manistee
Upper Manistee
A small North Branch Brookie
A small North Branch Brookie
OldredbarnJune 20th, 2013, 11:09 pm
Novi, MI

Thanks Paul...It's a little longer story than Maclean's, "A River Runs Through It", more his wonderful novella than the movie, but the relationship between the two brothers and ones inability to "help" the other...Well...Lets just say I got it. I lived it.

Spence

...and yes, the river is where I go to work it all out...and folks think its just a place to fish. There may be more than a little escapism taking place, I understand that, and really don't give a damn. We are a part of the bigger community, yes, but need to be, sometime, just left well enough alone. I know you understand this just as well as i do sir. :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsJune 21st, 2013, 12:26 pm
Colorado

Escapism... Man is that where I'm NOT right now. The checklist I have to get outta Dodge is mind-boggling. My escape to reality and sanity is a short bird and deer walk each morning early. Ahhhhh.... I can breathe again.

I had a dream last night: I was scuba diving with my son into a deep dark cavern. We swam a long way to an air filled room into which oxygen was pumped and we could de-suit and stretch a bit. Suddenly our guides (who didn't speak English) gestured frantically that the oxygen pumps had failed and we had to get outta there. They dove in to start the long swim back but my son would not put his suit back on and began throwing a tantrum bc the suit was uncomfortable. I said “We have to go, NOW!”

I woke with a start, read some, and then fell back into the same dam* dream, right where I’d left off.

I got my son into his suit and we dove but didn’t know the way, and the way clouded with silt from the guides now well ahead of us. One had gestured the directions but they consisted of too many lefts and rights to remember.

Several times I jolted awake: my son’s tanks ran out of oxygen and I lost him; my tank ran out and we were both lost, etc… .

Back asleep I spied a thin blue line of light in the distance –the cavern entrance! We swam on toward the blue light, and came out onto a tropical beach with surf, pink sand, and little coves lined with mangroves full of fish, and a green forest alive with birds, monkeys, and small tropical deer.

But I was alone. My son had found the right way to the waiting dive boat. He was ready to go back to civilization. I was alone on a wild beach. I could dive back in and find my way, or climb the mountain ridge to the populated cove and boat. Either way, it’s simply not easy keeping a foot in each world, and won’t be in the Philippines either.

That, is my life right now. I’m still swimmin’. I realized my son’s tantrum in the oxygen room was a replay of his fit at the doctor’s office when the nurse came at him with his immunizations. He’s yet to get them done. Wish us luck.
OldredbarnJune 21st, 2013, 7:34 pm
Novi, MI

Paul. I was a Navy brat and momma's boy who was very sickly as a child. Spent more than my share of time in the Portsmouth Navel Hospital. If the nurses and my mother were there I'd throw a fit when I needed a shot. Have a male in the room and I sat at attention. For some reason I was incapable of showing my weak side to a sailor. Just an idea. :)

Sounds to me like there's a tad bit of stress being worked out in those dreams.

My first night anywhere I usually sleep lightly. Ok after a night or two.

Good luck with all this. What adventures are ahead of you and the family.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.