Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > March Brown/Quill Gordon?, Page 2

JohnNY has attached these 8 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.4X larger)
This last photo is the intermittent stream where these (what are they?) bugs live, breed and die.
I JUST saw that I was PM'd last JUNE asking for this photo... Sorry...
This last photo is the intermittent stream where these (what are they?) bugs live, breed and die.
I JUST saw that I was PM'd last JUNE asking for this photo... Sorry...
EntomanDecember 25th, 2013, 6:16 am
Northern CA & ID

Thanks for bringing this back up, guys. Could this be a species of Leucrocuta? If so, Yellow Quills - not Lt. Cahills, Bruce.;) The wing maculation and pronotum/head look wrong for Stenacron, Mack. What really bothers me though is the giant spread between the eyes (width of compound eye). That is usually diagnostic for Yellow Quills when separating them out from most heptageniids.

John -
Sorry for all the unnecessary confusion caused in no small part by my speculation earlier on in the thread. I was on the road at the time and should have left it alone, but I just wasn't comfortable with the Cahill idea then and only slightly more now.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanDecember 28th, 2013, 4:33 am
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Mack. Same to you.

Yes, I had forgotten the eye exception with carolina. I seem to remember discussing the eyes of these guys before in another thread(s)... Deja Vu! :) Still, many of the specimens in this topic don't look to have the right maculation. In addition, Yellow Quills can also have thickened cross veins in the radial spaces. Doesn't mean I think you are wrong as I agree their size and overall conformation is a good match for the Cahills.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanDecember 30th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Northern CA & ID

...remember you are free to grab any photos I have posted of any mayflies and add them into the encyclopedia I look forward to seeing any of my pictures in the library.

Thanks for the offer, Mack. The problem is links aren't usable. I have to have the file on my hard drive to upload and I'm backlogged trying to get mine up let alone anybody else's right now. Perhaps in the future we can go over them so you can email some to me.
JohnNYFebruary 7th, 2014, 11:20 am
Posts: 15I see you guys got back into this one...SO, what is it? :)
I also see that I was PM'd in JUNE asking for a photo of the stream...
I added it. The location is Unadilla, NY.
EntomanFebruary 7th, 2014, 12:17 pm
Northern CA & ID

Most likely Stenacron Carolina (Summer Cahill), John.
JohnNYFebruary 12th, 2014, 8:26 am
Man that's the size creeks I fish a lot !!!...I agree with Kurt On Stenacron carolina
You'd be up for a day of disappointment if you thought you'd be catching fish here... The bugs in this usually temporary stream only have to contend with the threat from the birds and salamanders. Now if by fishing you mean CRAYfishing... You'd catch your limit...
JohnNYSeptember 19th, 2014, 6:00 pm

:)
JohnNYSeptember 21st, 2014, 3:07 pm
Posts: 15Can anyone enlighten me as to what the preferred habitats are for both Maccaffertium pudicum and Stenacron Carolina?

Thanks.
TaxonSeptember 21st, 2014, 3:35 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi John-

As both are clinger nymphs, I would expect them to be found clinging to the under side of large rock surfaces in moderate to swift current.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
JohnNYSeptember 22nd, 2014, 7:51 am
So if one of these critters finds an intermittent stream(inches of flow some parts of the year and NO surface flow other parts of the year)to its liking then the other would probably find it to its liking also?
TaxonSeptember 22nd, 2014, 9:42 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

John-

Perhaps so.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.