Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ephemera

CrepuscularMay 22nd, 2013, 9:44 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Well it looks like it's that time of year...

MartinlfMay 22nd, 2013, 12:25 pm
Palmyra PA

Superb photos, as usual. Last year I wanted to tie some nymphs for the Green Drake hatch, and didn't find any photos that gave this kind of detail.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsMay 22nd, 2013, 12:30 pm
Colorado

Very nice.
CrepuscularMay 22nd, 2013, 12:51 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Superb photos, as usual. Last year I wanted to tie some nymphs for the Green Drake hatch, and didn't find any photos that gave this kind of detail.

Thanks Paul and Louis.
Louis, you better get tying. they are about to pop. As you can see this is a male and is about 23mm. The females I have collected are 3-5 mm larger.
MartinlfMay 22nd, 2013, 2:24 pm
Palmyra PA

On it.

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularMay 22nd, 2013, 3:37 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Louis, I'd like to see your solution for the dorsal gills.
MartinlfMay 22nd, 2013, 9:18 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, but it's going to cost you some of those diamonds.

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnMay 28th, 2013, 5:45 pm
Novi, MI

Nice Eric. Our version here should get going any day, especially since we are warming up into the 80's this week.

In terms of the gills etc, you should look up Bear Andrews' Hex. The after-shaft feather from the pheasant works.

You ever seen Shane Stalcups Green Drake Emerger? Check out Cravens site or "Tying Emergers" from the same guys that did the "Tyer's Benchside Guide".

So where's the green? :)Looks tan to me. That whole family looks that way. Blends in with their sandy/silt bottom where they live.

That Carmel color is interesting. Hard to duplicate.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMay 29th, 2013, 9:06 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Thanks Spence. I have seen a bunch of solutions, I was just curious if Louis had his own. I know what I do too ;) Actually if you look at the wingpads you can see a little green. Oh and for a nominal fee I can give you a recipe for that carmel color. and if any of you PA boys are paying attention they are going now...i will breaking in the new fishing vehicle and suffering from lack of sleep for the next couple weeks...
OldredbarnMay 30th, 2013, 10:04 pm
Novi, MI

...i will breaking in the new fishing vehicle and suffering from lack of sleep for the next couple weeks...

If you hear a storm coming through the mountains...Run!...Don't walk to this new vehicle of yours. If its any taller than the last one you'll be sleeping in the woods. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMay 31st, 2013, 6:57 am
Boiling Springs, PA

If its any taller than the last one you'll be sleeping in the woods. ;)

Spence

You know Spence the new one is a couple inches taller. And that white pine across the road came immediately to mind when they were parked next to one another. But there is more room for a chainsaw in the new one...
OldredbarnMay 31st, 2013, 7:13 pm
Novi, MI

I ran into one of the younger guides at a local beer store, the last time up to Grayling. His truck wouldn't start so I gave him a jump, actually Mike gave him the jump. I was teasing him because he actually had jumper cables, a small chainsaw, and a gas powered generator in his truck. What one needs up that way to cover your ass.

Turned out the truck needed an alternator. When one of the boys has a downed vehicle, everyone else has to chip in to help him out. The clients still need to float the river and they can't afford not to work.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.