Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > >>>> RARE VIEW....3 DIFFERENT FEMALE EPHEMERELLA TOGETHER <<<<

Brookyman has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
BrookymanMay 9th, 2013, 3:36 am
Banned
OK note to all readers; ..Dark & light hendricksons

1, all 3 were killed together 10 minutes before photo shoot so color is very close to perfect.

2, I am using the name of a former specie because it is relevant for this post. That name is used in many very important fly fishing books.

The name is Ephemerella rotunda which is now referred to as invaria.

That said I could be wrong here if I am there are some epic people here that will help set the record straight.

In this series of photos I have put these 3 together to allow all of us to see the 3 together for comparison. Notice that 1 has a egg sack attached on the left that is subvaria the one in the middle is rotunda and the one on the right is missing the middle tail is invaria. They are in that order throughout all the photos. So please enjoy and join in on the conversation because this is a very rare opportunity for all of us.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Jmd123May 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Oscoda, MI

Ok, so the one on the left is subvaria? I can see a pinkish-gray (or maybe reddish-grey?) body and a distinct yellowish tinge to the wings. Yup, looks like a Light Hendrickson to me! Thanks Mack, I can see clearly why the traditional pattern works so well for this hatch. Hopefully we will be seeing plenty of these bugs in the next few weeks!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMay 9th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Novi, MI

I see no difference between these three. I know I'm going out on a limb, relying on photos, and no microscope, but if I were a betting man I'd say E subvaria.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BrookymanMay 9th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Banned
Hi Jonathon

Yes the [ subvaria is to the left-rontunda middle-invaria left ]

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Jmd123May 9th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, to my eyes the one on the right - E. invaria according to our bugman Mack - has a more yellowish abdomen than the other two. I'll let you and Mack argue as to whether or not they are separate species or intra-species variations.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMay 9th, 2013, 1:44 pm
Novi, MI

There is no argument here.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BrookymanMay 9th, 2013, 1:47 pm
Banned
They could very well be all 1 species. However they were all caught in the same riffle within 20 minutes of each other. They all had different colored egg sacks. Subvaria strong yellow-orange, rotunda, medium yellow, and the invaria cream colored.

Look very close at: the head vertex, front leg, the top and sides of the thorax. If we look close at the 3 upside down with the but facing us look at the markings on the 8-9-10 segments. I know maculation is variable.

All so keep in mind when you kill a dun in solution 95% of the time they completely extend their abdomen. The subvaria curled up as I put her in the death bath. That being said this would account for the size being about the same.

If nothing else it shows the possible color range of a species.

Mack.

OldredbarnMay 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Novi, MI

What length are they?

BrookymanMay 9th, 2013, 3:53 pm
Banned
12mm subvaria the invaria before death 10mm same with the rotunda

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.