Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ephemerella invaria female

Brookyman has attached these 9 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.1X larger)
BrookymanMay 8th, 2013, 12:26 am
Banned
I am by no means really knowledgeable with this group. I caught 2 just like this one, and one very similar but smaller. When I was catching these I thought Hum maybe Ephemerella invaria light hendrickson. But I am totally befuddled she is !! ready for it ( 13.5mm body X 15 mm wing ) seriously the only thing I can say is I know how to measure :-)

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
TaxonMay 8th, 2013, 1:27 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack,

Nice find; I believe it to be Ephemerella aurivillii.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanMay 8th, 2013, 2:10 am
Banned
Hi Roger

That makes sense, that is the only specie that size in my area that I know of.
I don't see the mid dorsal stripes on this one or are they not always there ??

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
TaxonMay 8th, 2013, 3:20 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack,

Do you have a Ephemerella aurivillii female subimago description which says they display a mid-dorsal stripe. If so, please refer me to it. Thanks,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanMay 8th, 2013, 12:49 pm
Banned
Hi Roger I don't have much for descriptions for Ephemerella aurivillii except Allen & Edmunds 1965. There is no specific statement of the stripe male or female. I was going more on so samples here on the site I put them in below.

Burks 1953; no mention of dorsal stripe.

Needham 1935; [ "traces of dark median line partially germinate " ]

This conversation I think answers another question I had. Last year I dissected 6 or 7 larva that I keyed out to Ephemerella aurivillii and there was no dorsal stripe that was prominent. This might be an East-West thing because most of Jasons samples are from Alaska. I do remember reading about the geographical differences in this specie but off hand I couldn't say what paper it was in. It might be Allen & Edmunds 1965.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/961
http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/957

Mack.
EntomanMay 8th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Northern CA & ID

Based on what I can make out in the photos, it looks like another subvaria specimen to me. It is also possibly the large rotunda form of invaria, but it seems pretty early for them and the dark feet and wings point more towards subvaria. Stout tapered bodies, heavily ringed tails, and dark postrerolateteral tergal triangles are pretty common in both species.

Check out this large subvaria dun
http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/495

The aurivillii specimens I've seen look very similar to Jason's (stripe remnants on the terga, slenderer plum colored bodies, less strongly banded tails) and they hatch in the Summer. Intriguing critter... It is quite common in stream samples, yet it goes strangely unreported by anglers. To my knowledge, Jason's photos of the duns of this species are the first and only of this stage (at least that can be verified). I hope to add to its hatch page this Summer with photos of specimens from Idaho populations I've located. There's no descriptions of the adults in scientific literature except for a few brief ones of the male spinners, The only characters mentioned in keys involve the male genitalia which is no help here.

In any event, all three species have males exceeding 10mm documented. The females run larger so one that measures in excess of 12mm is certainly within the range of probability for them.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanMay 8th, 2013, 3:51 pm
Banned
That sounds about right. I am on my way to collect again I processed 83 Ehemerella from last night. I am going to a tributary of the same system that had way more Ephemerella since Nov 2012 and bigger variety of species.

Please note to all readers; I make sure that the eggs of the female get back in the water as a act of conservation so no harm no foul.

Mack.
OldredbarnMay 9th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Novi, MI

Mack...The no harm no foul part of your quote assumes that the females have actually mated. No?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BrookymanMay 9th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Banned
Hi Spence

That is right. Unless caught copulating no one can be truly sure. I do that so if the eggs are fertilized they stand a chance to survive. No harm no foul meaning I try very hard not to kill what does not need to be killed. Hope that all makes sense because it is hard to explain.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.