Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > live mayfly holders by JODEAtm

JodeaMay 1st, 2013, 4:58 pm
Galway city Ireland

Having recently been introduced to this site by a friend i would like to bring to you all a new device for "LIVE" MayFly fishing .. please check out the website and see what you think . they are available now via the website if you wish to purchase or even just leave a little feedback ie your general take on the product !"
heres a link to my indroductory Award winning video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRgB43lvG8

webite ; www.thejodea.com

rgds Jodea
EntomanMay 3rd, 2013, 1:20 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jodea,

Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear from overseas.

Interesting product & video. Here in the States, angling practices tend to be more divided. The fly fishers here don't usually bait fish as an alternative method and vice versa... By way of analogy, I'm afraid you are promoting a tennis racket on a golf forum. Best of luck with it.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JodeaMay 5th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Galway city Ireland

hi Entoman ,,
thank you for your reply ,, i wasnt sure what you guys over there might think of this product so all the feed back is constructive,it is very much like you say with many mix reactions from over in the states (most positive) Here Anglers hold up the tradition of "dapping" live fly such as mayfly & daddies ect certainly a hit with kayak fishermen too.
"brookyman" introduced me to this site as he thought it might go down well both with anglers and etomologists for fishing / studying (its idea for collecting live fly of all variations)
Of course if you think of any avenue this might suit please send me on the links or advice is welcomed too ,,

I can/will share your site here with a great number of anglers through various social media sites i run daily.. its a fantastic wealth of info and brilliantly layed out too ,, i have to say i love reading up on so much i didnt know .. for that i thank you quite sincerly
well done

best rgds
Jeremiah O'Dea

EntomanMay 5th, 2013, 11:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Jodea,

Thanks for understanding... and participating! Most vendors don't bother and usually go away after a few "nice fly/fish" posts before advertising their wares.

Unfortunately, the art of fishing with natural baits is largely a lost one over here. On many of our most popular waters the method is even illegal. The vast majority of bait fishing is done (for trout) on what we call "put & take" waters where trout are planted for the purpose. Eggs, worms, and Powerbait fished with light, short spinning gear are the tools of choice with this group. I'm not sure how open they are to this level of sophistication, but this is the group you want to probably target. Perhaps warm water anglers would be an even better opportunity.

The good news is the field is wide open. Nobody gave Japanese Tenkara much chance and it is taking off like a wildfire, largely through the work of one small company that started from scratch just a few years ago. You could even branch off into the specialized gear you use as well. Create your own market! I would think there's plenty of opportunity with little competition.

Best of Luck!

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMay 6th, 2013, 5:34 am
Northern CA & ID

Mack,

The design looks excellent for its intended purpose. A big improvement over the little ported tin traps for carrying crickets and hoppers that hook on your belt. Remember those when we were kids? :)

I can see what you were thinking regarding our purposes, but I don't think it would be practical. Its design is for much larger critters than we usually work with. I can't see placing size 16 heptageniids in it successfully without damage, let alone getting them back out of it. If the need is a model for tying flies that match in size & color, grabbing a few and shoving them into a fly box is fine. If the goal is to collect a few samples for photography and/or id's, there are better methods that don't include grabbing them with your fingers or multiple transfers. Larger sample sizes collected for entomological studies require still different methods. Duns grabbed by the wings often have trouble successfully molting and the small delicate spinners damage very easily when handled that way.

JodeaMay 6th, 2013, 1:31 pm
Galway city Ireland

please just so you know Personaly i didnt come here to "sell" products more to get invaluable feedback and opinions really to add im still very much developing the product to make it better,people can decide for them self if they want it or not,like you said there are better places to sell things.
anyway given that someone has put a vast amount of time and effort building such a good site it would be completely disrespectful to "use" the site soley for selling stuff.nor do i feel its a place for sales.
lol im not much a sales man at all in truth and hate trying to sell anything,,its not in my nature as an artist/sculture by trade i look towards quality in life not value and if selling was my game id be already too rich from my work.
really is cool of you guys to give this any of your thoughts and time,respect

just for interest I thought you might like to read over my press release

There's an old proverb which avows that "The gods do not deduct from one's allotted span the time spent fishing" and indeed as any angler will relate there are times when it certainly feels that this could be true. There's good therapy in angling, that was recognized as far back as 1486 when Dame Juliana Berners published her "Tretyse on fysshyng wyth an Angle" [Treatise on Fishing with An Angle], and quoting a proverb of Solomon, which states that "A good spirit makes a flowering age [a long life], she suggests the sports that will help us attain that are " Haukyng [Hawking], Huntyng [Hunting], Fyshyng [Fishing] and Foulyng [Fowling], but that Fishing is by far the best of these.

Dame Juliana, who had spent her youth as a noblewoman in these pursuits, was the Prioress of Sopwell Nunnery in Hertfordshire and her treatise is the first ever English Book on Angling.

So since the dawn of history there have been treatises and innovations regarding fishing. This is because anglers with time on their hands during the grim frozen days of winter generally dream about nothing else but their favourite sport and how better to catch fish. And it was that other famous angling writer Izaak Walton who commented that at times "The fishing was good, but the catching was bad".

A man who set his mind to rectifying this actuality is Jeremiah O'Dea, sculptor, innovator and angler nonpareil. Jeremiah advocates a return to the use of natural bait in flyfishing, and natural bait can be considered a good attractor - which anyone who has dapped on Ireland's midland or western lakes can attest to.

For the non-initiated we explain that dapping is a method of fly fishing where the angler generally fishes with a natural insect, using a long rod and a floss silk blow line so the wind carries the fly over the water to bob on and off the surface. In dapping the bait may be a mayfly, grasshopper, crane fly (daddy-long-legs), depending on which is in season, and the natural manner of its presentation makes it alluring to the fish.

There is certainly nothing as exciting as to see the torpedo-like shadow of a large trout tracking the dapped fly before a strike. In complete contrast Jeremiah utilizes specialized roll-casts to reach the fish and usually "gets in among them", fishing with a shorter rod from a kayak. This generally means that he is usually just a few Eskimo rolls from piscatorial success, and having worked for many years on trawlers off Ireland's South West coast, he has taken much boating experience aboard. To aid in his natural fishing approach Jeremiah has developed and patented an innovative new natural fly-carrying reservoir called the JODEA©, which can be clipped to an anglers belt or jacket and which eliminates the annoyance of having to travel back to the bank or boat to refresh your bait supply.

Jodea is irelands first ever fishing tackle brand and soon to be reconised as the most prominent brand of fishing tackle throughout Ireland and in time the rest of the world,bringing awareness to the sport of fly fishing and its diversity world over and or fishing in general,The JODEA© fly keep itself is collapsible and stores away neatly into most all tackle bags,the reservoir section telescopes forward when required to act as the hold for the fly when in use,it also has a felt pocket for braids & hook storage.

This new invention which can be considered a necessity for natural bait fly-fishers the world over, such as dappers, etc.
soon to be available in Irish tackle shops nationwide for this and coming seasons, and may also be purchased online from the web site www.thejodea.com . Meanwhile Jeremiah O'Dea will be utilizing his vast experience in the development of further fly-fishing innovations.

end press release .
EntomanMay 7th, 2013, 5:19 am
Northern CA & ID

Mack - I wouldn't think it too practical for small flies on freestones, so your stenos are quite safe, at least from death by hook impalement.:) Where the method would really shine is on still waters with hex hatches.

Jeremiah - The blow line method is practiced over here, but with artificial flies. Some savvy anglers use it with great effect on our windy western lakes. Dapping is a different (and more common) method and also has an artificial fly connotation. I think this next point is very important to your endeavors. The use of flies as bait is not referred to as fly fishing over here. Labeling it as such and using terms like dapping will probably cause a lot of miscues in search engines meaning a lot of your potential market will not be able to find you and most of the hits (from fly fishers) will quickly go away once they see what you are about. You will find that converting lure and bait fishers to your method much easier than fly fishers. We call your method "natural bait fishing." The more you use that term (particularly in the title) and the less you use artificial fly fishing terms like "dapping" and "fly fishing", the more hits of the right kind you will get. In terms of outreach, I would think that less specialized fishing sites based in the Great Lakes region (Hex country) would be the best places to start.

BTW - If you take this advice and it proves true, remember my kids in your will!:)

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

end press release back. :)
JodeaMay 7th, 2013, 5:53 am
Galway city Ireland

Thank you for taking the time to digest all that ,,
Entoman your advice is sound and shall be taken on board .. i have been thinking something alone those lines though like i said im not marketing expert by a long shot ,, personally id rather the experts took it on and gave it a propper run.. for now its in my own hands 100% and still "my baby" if you like ..
in time who knows maybe i will need to write a will lol ;)

in truth its actually the other way around ,, fly fishing / dapping goes down as the original form of fishing with a fly where artificial flies should go down as "lures" but then i didnt coin the phrase and sure would piss of alot of elight fly anglers who might consider themself above "bait fishermen" lol :)
i will keep plugging away slowely . my next invention is universal for all "fly fishermen" at least those whom use artificials and fly line and as yet none exsistant in the market so thats increadably exciting (currently raising funds for development there) all in good time as they say

its not a job & the work aint hard if its got anything to do with fishing :)
EntomanMay 7th, 2013, 6:54 am
Northern CA & ID

...in truth its actually the other way around ,, fly fishing / dapping goes down as the original form of fishing with a fly where artificial flies should go down as "lures"...

All true, but that ship sailed a long time ago and isn't going to turn around. I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to reform people's education or get your product in front of the maximum possible that will be interested in the concept. Any focus on the former will quickly find you trying to get your canoe up a swift stream without a paddle if you catch my drift, or would that be your drift... down stream.:) Two metaphors and a pun in the same paragraph. Hmmm... We have some English Profs as regular contributors who are going to let me have it now. Anyway, the best solution would probably be a separate US/Canadian orientated website, I suppose. Last of the free advice. PM me about my rates.:)LOL

PS. If cash flow is an issue, I will work for stock options and a board seat.:)
OldredbarnMay 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Novi, MI

Kurt...Please don't send them our way! The Great Lakes Basin has already seen its share of whacky experiments and invasives. It wasn't that long ago that we finally got around to banning snagging, though it still continues illegally.

Maybe with the introduction of this, "everything old is new again" idea, and the influx of Asian Carp down by Chicago, the scales will finally tip and we all can call it a day.

Please note the lack of emoticons in this post...this wasn't an over sight on my part.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JodeaMay 10th, 2013, 4:47 am
Galway city Ireland

WHAT !" WHAT ! WHACKY !" :) :) LOL the mark is in the other direction ....
the only way the "jodea" might tip the scales is when you pop a big trout on them lol .
as for "experiment" hmm this manner of "fly fishing" or as some prefer "natural bait fishing" has been in practice for centuries & has little or nothing to do with snagging or asian carp or is in any way invasive or whacky.
its a "live fly" container designed with fishermen/persons in mind and replaces the existing "cumbersome wooden boxes" making it very easy to use and store.. very simple very effective nothing whacky about it at all.

85 fisherman and women from all over the globe including the USA and Canada fished an international Mayfly Competition over here last weekend and all would have been delighted to use this product,with not one bad comment pass by any angler young or old.
maybe you dont fish a method we call "dapping" over in your part of the world and thats fine, i didnt design it for the american market though it does seem to be getting alot of interest and is filtering in by itself.

SO!" they "mayfly" over there and if they do!! then they may well be coming your way soon...lol sry about that hey.

thank you for reply Oldredbarn , all jokes aside i take all critism and learn from it,to me at this point every opinion counts,
TNEALMay 10th, 2013, 10:45 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

prepare now to get used to grilled asian carp rather than grilled salmonid..........
Jmd123May 10th, 2013, 11:49 am
Oscoda, MI

At least I can rest assured they won't be making it up into my local small trout streams - I hope!

Jonathon

P.S. Apparently the current control strategy is to target the Asian carp species by commercial fishing, and then sell the damned things back to the Chinese - who's rivers are now getting too polluted to fish!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JodeaMay 10th, 2013, 11:56 am
Galway city Ireland

wt ? JODEAtm Has zero to do with Asian Carp or any other invasive spiecies at all ,,,, its a piece of fishing tackle...
TigermidgeJune 8th, 2013, 11:10 am
Lakewood, Ca.

AAHHH,
Fly fishing is about making your own fly.
Not collecting bait.

Mark f.
It's impossible to explain the attraction except to say that steelheading is like golf: viewed objectively , it makes no sense, but some people like it.
JodeaJune 10th, 2013, 5:57 am
Galway city Ireland

thats a wonderful bit of feedback . thanks Mack .
will get back to you via email ,,, glad you like it !"

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.