Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > >>> Super Crazy AWESOME opening day in Ontario<<<

Brookyman has attached these 13 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.8X larger)
BooBoo & BamBam
BooBoo & BamBam
BrookymanApril 28th, 2013, 2:19 am
Banned
OMG What an incredible day.

This was the most bizarre opening day to trout season that I think I have ever had. Over the past 3 months I have spent many hours on Google-earth looking for waterways near the city that MIGHT still have native brook trout. My son and I find them and reconstruct their environments to ensure the very best for them and protect, and hide them from the evil kill all public.

So I had been considering going to one of these areas on my opening day. Also because I don't fish for steelhead, and I am seldom in public fishing.

I prefer the rare chance to be one with nature at it finest.

If you look at the first 2 pictures you can see the first tiny creek. The average depth in the extremely high water was about 8". In the second photo
you can see my 5 1/2 foot 3 wht Bamboo that I named BooBoo. The water is like 5 feet across in most spots. I walked and fished about a mile stretch.

AND THEN Kapowwww 3 steelhead in this tiny body of water. They must have been starving cause all 3 took my #16 caddis-pupa. I broke on off one, and by the grace God land 2 of them. The first one I leaned him against a rock with a riffle blowing down it throat. Once I took this picture to show its size compared to this creek I finished helping him go back safe and sound.

In one of the photos you can see the 3rd one sitting in the middle of a slow spot. On the first cast wack, here we go again and then you can see him with BooBoo. I didn't measure them but I am thinking the last one was about 18'
does that sound right ???

So I leave there and head to another area that is way above one of my reconstructed areas. It is a tributary to the main system. Oh BTW that tiny creek is a tributary to the tributary I am now on. I have been eyeing this
spot for a while. Now look at the photo series in the culvert tunnel. Flip through those and keep an eye on the red arrow they are all native brook trout. I suspected for years they might be there but not like this this is
crazy. Look in photo # 1 in that set. I put a yellow measurement marking
on the corrugated side so we can reference the size of these Kats. From center to center the corrugated side spacing is 6 inches. Look at all those native brookies. I couldn't get even close to them SUPER-SONIC-SENSITIVE.

The average from my viewpoint I would say was 14". I had to lay on that corrugated with that crappy camera for 20 minutes to get these. My son is away at Army Cadets camping for the weekend he is going to flip out when he see these photos.

Before I started as I always do. I asked God to help me find our very rare city brookies so Ben & I can help them live free, safe, and in good numbers and most importantly out of the publics greedy-destructive hands.

I m am think that he like what we do for his fish.

Mack.

Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Jmd123April 28th, 2013, 7:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

Wow Mack, what a great opener! Congrats! I just spent two days fishing and only got three little dinky brookies from my favorite pond (along with three perch, the biggest of which is in my freezer so it won't compete with the brookies anymore) yesterday and NOTHING today on the Pine today. Very few insects, a few random stoneflies and maybe a mayfly or two but that was it. Water was at least a foot higher than normal, spots that were normally ankle-deep were knee-deep and spots normally knee-deep were waist-deep! Made for some exercise wading upstream, let me tell you! Temp. was 52 F. Things are still waking up from winter around here I guess...we had highs in the 30s F last week so go figure...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BrookymanApril 28th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Banned
Hi Jonathon

We are in the very same conditions, and its been pouring since dinner.
Glad I have my tributaries because they are now a river. LOL

It was a very interesting but surprising day. You see all those brookies
in the calvert that is crazy cool. Nobody knows they are there but me.
Believe it or not it on the property of the Boy Scouts of Canada thats
how I found that creek when my son was in Cub Scouts. I did even go in the
water of the main river cause I didn't bring a raft, paddle, and life vest.

Perch are really tasty and breed like minnows :-)

Mack
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
CutbowApril 29th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Post Falls, Idaho

I love your rod and reel set up! Cool pics
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
RMlytleApril 20th, 2015, 10:13 pm
Connecticut

14 is a good native. I rarely see them that size here, but I'm sure they're around. Those are some nice steelhead too. Definitely an interesting opening day.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.