Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Part # 2..The strike zone of a trout in a stream.. and the effects of color.

BrookymanApril 20th, 2013, 1:50 am
Banned
Part # 2..The strike zone of a trout in a stream.. and the effects of color.

This is part two in a series of posts to help you see and understand the critical importance of the color of your fly VS the mayfly hatching.

Before we start one question?... How do you stop a kid from taking cookies from the cookie jar…….Take the cookie out of the jar !!! LOL.

Developing an understanding; part # 1

Back in the mid 80’s Al Linder on the Infishermen ran a 1 hour show in their TV series on the strike zone of a largemouth bass. I applied their methodology to the situation that we face on a stream. What was most interesting to me was their studies and break though was showing that barometric pressure was having a profound impact on the bass interest, in how far it would travel for food. This showed that the bass would not move to catch a crankbait one day, and the next day it would. I was noticing when fly fishing a couple of years earlier that it was looking like the trout would responded to a hatch slower one day, and the next day they were bolting at the same insects. At first I thought OH they must be taking caddis, because caddis generate aggressive behaviors from trout.

This Is where the concept of my book Colliding Environments came from. The study of barometric pressure and how fish respond to it. In short I started to work with the effects of low pressure and how it increases strength the surface film of waters. What I was writing about is how the stronger surface film slowed down the mayflies & caddisflies abilities to emerge through the film, giving a time delay advantage to the trout. And in a high pressure system totally the opposite. Without a Zillion dollar lab :-) and I am still not sure it can even be done to monitored this situation in a lab. So I never search it out much because you must remember this like ( 1982 – 1987 ) I couldn’t Google barometric testing lab’s LOL.
I made a measurement devise that allowed me to measure the surface film daily by how much counter weight was required to lift or pull a floating object from the film. Surprisingly it is quiet considerable. The extreme light weight of an insect is more affected because the counter strength require to come through the surface tension, often accedes the insects physical abilities.

Inside the basic nutshell if you want to maximize your catching be very sure to be at the water WHEN the barometric pressure is dropping. But if a thunderstorm is approaching they typically put the fish down from eating activities. So if you plan to go with a storm approaching involved, go early and don’t use a graphite rod it attacks lightning. This is the time for a bamboo rod.

Developing an understanding; part # 2

Doug Swisher in his video Advanced Strategies for selective trout, it added even more solutions to the problems we face. By factoring in the pounds of meat law. That part deals with feeding opportunity trout face and how understanding their response behaviors work for us, to understand a hatch situation.

We must always keep in mind that feeding efficiently is their priority. So lets say there is a March Brown hatch happening, and there is also a midge hatch. How do you know what they are feeding on. There is a rise form formula but lets deal with this possibly. A March Browns hatches maybe in the several 100’s a day during peak season. Well the midges are hatching in the millions lets say, I don’t know the real number this is just a baseline example.

Midges first off hatch in higher concentration, and inside of tighter feeding lanes. Were as the March Brown will hatch sort of “wily Neely”. A trout can pickoff several hundreds midges in one spot, in a very sort period of time. That adds up to way more pounds of meat, with minimal energy wasted, then 1 or 2 March Browns add up to. We can see this in other specie in the animal kingdom. Not sure which whale it is, but it is the biggest of everything in the sea, and lives exclusively on plankton. Each mouthful is half a dump truck worth of food. With no energy expended, they just open wide and let the food slip right inside.

Developing an understanding; part # 3

Now with the foundation formed we can view the behaviors of trout. Everything they do they do for a reason. How many times have you had the following happen to you?

(1) he came up to my fly to about 15” and slowly went back to the spot where he was ???

(2) he came to my fly fairly fast I thought for sure he was going to take the fly but he only came to the fly within a 5” range and turned away ???

(3) he bolted at the fly and just kept on going, he didn’t even touch my fly

(4) he bolted to my fly and he hit but “I missed him”.

Now are you ready. Remember for every action there is a reaction. And in the words of Albert Einstein “ Everything effects Everything”

Now we go back to Size, Shape, & Color these 3 words that describe physical descriptions and explains all the 4 scenarios above. It comes down to the best combination, but also how to configure that combination to your daily situation.

Remember think of this as a business deal. Size gets them to boardroom table to talk, Shape is the business plan, and color is the final part, the handshake that seals the deal.

Lets start with # 1; this means your fly size is wrong, as well as ether the shape or color. You peaked some interest but something is not right. A combinations of 2 things are wrong.

Now # 2 ; the size is likely very close to correct, but the shape, and color are off. But you really peaking some interest. This means you are closer to sorting out the situation.

Now # 3; technique in presentation and color are not refined enough, but he wants that fly really badly.

Now the short strike #4; it is the color that is wrong, trout in most circumstances in faster moving water often have less than 1/10th of a second to make a choice in taking or rejecting the fly.

You didn’t miss him,, HE missed you. We tend to blame ourselves first. You must remember trout are not all that smart. But they have epic eyesight & epic instinctual drive.

Now here is how to prove this to yourself as I did. You must first be willing to give up several hatches to use this time to learn how this applies. First pick one of your favorite hatches and favorite fly patterns. I say choose your favorite because you already have a very well developed faith in the hatch & fly which promotes excellent, confidence and self-esteem. In turn this brings you to your height in self confidence. Having this confidence allows you to mentally separate and analyze these situations that will occur, with very clear thoughts and lowered anxieties.

I want you to make 3 groups of 2, of the same flies but all a little different. Make the first group of 2 flies larger, and make one of them closer in color, and the other lighter in color. And you well be able to test and see the function of color. The fish will now come closer to the correctly colored one than the wrong fly, 7 out of 10 times basically.

Now make a group of 2 flies the right size, but wrong shape. Make one close in color, and the other lighter. Now you have scenario 2 going on, he really wants it, but something is still wrong. The size is good because you were able to draw him in closer. But still the one that is closer in color, made him come even closer to the fly than the lighter one did.

Now make 2 flies that are the right size and the right shape. Make one extremely close in color and the other lighter, or even darker doesn't matter. With the fly that is wrong in color, the fish will short strike it every time. That means everything is excellent but the color is not good enough. The trout has changed his mind at the very last 1000 of second. The one with the combination that is correct on all 3 physical features will take fish on every cast, with a good presentation. Also the words of Doug Swisher “ if you must make a choice between a fly that is lighter and one that is darker, pick the darker one”. The darker one stands out in the sunlight better.

Now we are taking advantage of their biological OBLIGATION to eat for survival. Battle of the fittest still applies to everything, but the human being. And we have made it that way by becoming civilized.

That is why the strike zone in a trout, can be manipulated more, than a fish like a bass, in a lake or in stable body of water. Going back to the beginning regarding the Infishermen TV show. If a storm or low pressure system is in place or in process the bass become sluggish, and they will not move far for food. You must slow your approach and change baits. In that scenario we fish a plastic worm and put it right in front of his face. In a high pressure system the fish are active and will rundown a crankbait or jitterbug. This as well applies to trout and using a streamer.

Use streamers in a high pressure system. and a deeply fished big slow moving stonefly in a low pressure system.

The next post is dealing with genus and species color matching philosophy, which steppes up the game even further. I know I am a mad man LOL. But I also catch more fish in one outing than some do in a whole season. My Sons first year fishing ever, he caught 117 trout in 6 months on a fly rod, fly fishing. I am not too sure I would call that an accident more so a mathematical equation.

This formula forces the trout to be obligated in taking my fly, whether he likes it or not. He now has no choice, and I am exploiting his very own natural instincts.

Also. Right is right and wrong is wrong. But when you are right, you are never wrong.

Checkmate MR trout.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
AdirmanApril 21st, 2013, 6:44 am
Monticello, NY

Wow, this is a great post! I know what you mean based on personal on the water experiences (as Im sure most guys on here do)and Im gonna try this! I remember one time in particular last season when I had a ton of near misses and you're saying it probably was due to color? Makes a lot of sense what you say and I will definitely keep this in mind!
Feathers5April 22nd, 2013, 9:10 am
SayfuApril 22nd, 2013, 9:20 am
Here is my color deal to be strongly tested this season, and I picked up on it at our big fly tying Expo that just concluded....BLUE nymphs that I apply action to them, and are called soft hackles! The Purple Haze dry fly has been a productive pattern...bass anglers fishing purple worms in the murky waters; salt water anglers using a lot of blue lures fishing at depth in the salt. Blue tungsten beads on mine to sink them, and brilliant blue biots, and partridge hackle I purchased at the show. I also have on order from Whiting Farms, a guinea hen full skin died blue. Profile, moving materials, and a very visible color at depth. ROY G. BIV had better not steer me wrong.
MartinlfApril 22nd, 2013, 6:00 pm
Palmyra PA

Keep us posted Sayfu!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
MontanaMikeApril 29th, 2013, 4:42 pm
Wow Ive been looking for information like this all year. Good read, thanks for the info
My Trout Fishing Adventure

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.